Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Style
    Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis

Kani basami transitions?

wasn't sure if I should put this in the grappling forum or here so I played it safe, apologies to mods I fucked up

okay so firstly yes guys I realise kani basami is low percentage and generally unrealistic
    ignoring that fact, I managed to land a couple in some friendly mixed sparring the other day, and realised I have no idea how to transition from landing this take down..
    the times I did manage it I did a reverse heel hook and an Achilles lock I kind of improvised because I've not practiced it recently
    so the question here is basically a) do you guys ever manage to use kani basami, and b) how do you transition from the awkward leg position

thanks in advance

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Who saids it's low percentage? Considering you land in a perfect position for a kneebar or inverted heel hook, why are you transitioning out off it? Any ruleset that allows Kani Basami/Flying Scissor takedown will allow heel hooks and kneebars.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Additionally, Kani Basami is one the most dangerous takedowns out there. It's banned in competition Judo and most Jiu Jitsu for a reason. You unless you learned it under proper instruction which is not a Goju-ryu or Arnis Instructor. I would stop using it before you injury someone badly.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Additionally, Kani Basami is one the most dangerous takedowns out there. It's banned in competition Judo and most Jiu Jitsu for a reason. You unless you learned it under proper instruction which is not a Goju-ryu or Arnis Instructor. I would stop using it before you injury someone badly.
    thanks for the response, and fair point about the kneebars and heel hooks in that position
    that gif was a thing of beauty

to my experience throw itself, I definitely did not learn it from my systems, it was taught to me by the instructor at the judo club of a friend. said instructor had met me on a few occasions when I was doing some mixed sparring on their open mat times with my aforementioned friend
    had a few hours of drilling the technique with him, after which he told me to practice it with the placed hand on larger partners
    essentially I've done that to a point where I hope I'll not injure any partners, though I attempt not to apply it too aggressively.. nobody likes broken ankles or other potential injuries
    as an aside, are there other potential injuries (aside from the classic yamashita ankles, and neck injuries/heads contacting the ground)

thanks again plasma, and sorry for the probably horrendous grammar and run on sentences, though these can be blamed on using a smart phone to post

Style
    Can't edit my post because it doesnt exist yet..
    just wanted to add (it's okay to derail my own thread right?) the question of if you know of any good BJJ (or Judo, if not BJJ) places in Melbourne, given your experience
    Probably grasping at straws given how few Australians I've seen on BS while lurking, but if you've come across anyone particularly good I'd love to hear of them because i am looking to supplement my stand-up with some serious grappling. Goju has a little bit mixed from Yamaguchi having judokas learn the system, but it's nothing particularly effective, and isn't trained much (at my school at least), which makes sense given the style.
    If you don't know any instructors/schools in the area, I'd greatly appreciate some insight into how to gauge training effectiveness in grappling schools, due to my lack of expertise.
    Thanks again

Style
    further multiple posts because i can't edit.
    Doubted myself on the actual injury I stated Yamashita sustained vs Endo, and upon checking it was the fibula that broke, not the ankle
    apologies for talking out of my ass on that one

Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    I wouldn't necessarily call the scissor takedown inherently dangerous. There are multiple ways to throw it that take away some of the risks associated with uke's knees or ankles. It is also one of those takedowns that is only low-percentage because people do not practice them as often as they would other techniques, although I also wouldn't go as far as to say that it should be your #1.

As far as transitioning on the ground goes, it depends on the way you threw it. If you are lacing one leg in, then you are already set up for an inverted heel hook or kneebar, as Plasma mentioned. If you throw it across the waist, then you can EASILY transition into mount (one of my trade secrets, sorry). If you mess around with it, you can figure that one out. Or if you throw it low like the Japanese sambists, it has a footsweep-y feel to it, and also lends itself well to a heelhook or kneebar, although heelhooks are not allowed in sambo competition.

Don't be afraid to play around with it. I just 100 reps of square-stance, no-telegraphing scissor takedowns last Wednesday, without any injuries to my partners. Also threw a good handful in sparring, with about a 25% success rate, which isn't low-percentage at all.

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    just wanted to add (it's okay to derail my own thread right?) the question of if you know of any good BJJ (or Judo, if not BJJ) places in Melbourne, given your experience
    Probably grasping at straws given how few Australians I've seen on BS while lurking, but if you've come across anyone particularly good I'd love to hear of them because i am looking to supplement my stand-up with some serious grappling.
    Gregaquaman used to train in Melbourne so is reasonably familiar with the gyms there. Whereabouts in Melbourne are you from? There's no shortage of quality gyms there so you shouldn't have to travel far to find one. Also it helps to check the results if competitions (you can find results/links on the afbjj website) to see which gyms consistently medal at competitions.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    @blackmonk
    thanks for the tips, and yeah I tend to throw it to the hip because I'm a relatively small dude, and the extra leverage helps. from there I would generally roll to my side, lace the leg in as I grab the kneebar, lock.
    I'll have to try out transitioning to mount with a partner, I'm horrible at working this type of stuff out in my head.. I'm guessing just stick your upper leg side hip to theirs, and use that to swing your bottom leg through to mount?
    @cualltaigh
    I'm in the eastern suburbs, but not far through (near the end of zone 1 in the train line for anyone who is from here)

thanks for the responses guys

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    it's low percentage because so Many people try to just up and do it and it takes time to develop - all you have to do is side step and throw the guy attempting the kani to the mat. It can be an effective counter, though. I mostly use it from a set up.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last