Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last
    Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    Anyone following this years' playoffs will know about Matt ' The Rat ' Cooke getting a seven game suspension for intentionally kneeing Tyson Barrie and essentially knocking the kid out of the post-season.
    Cooke is a little POS who has had numerous supsensions over the years and ended more than one players careers with his dirty play. I think he should have got 15 games.
    Anyways, in light of that - this vid has been making the rounds the last few days. Its an older one, but its a clip of Cooke getting KO'd by Evander Kane.
    Enjoy.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    Here is a short, but good scrap from the other night.
    http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/124041
    Unfortunately, the replay is kind of shitty and you have to be careful not to blink or you will miss the big uppercut landed by Couture.
    Richards and Couture are both smaller guys, but hard-working and not afraid to get their noses dirty. When Richards was the Assistant Captain in Philly and led them to the Finals, he was one of my favorite Flyers and I was very disappointed when they traded him.
    However, with the emergence of Simmonds (one of the guys the Flyers received in the trade) as a power forward it really doesn't seem like a bad trade now.
    Anyways, watch for the uppercut. An under-utilized punch in hockey imo. Especially when you consider how close-quarters most of the fights are.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Why haven't hockey players brought sambo to the west already? What other martial art covers stand up jacket wrestling and jacket punching so well? It seems like a natural fit, especially with all the russians that play. But all the goons seem to train is boxing.

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    Well, a take-down is considered a victory in a hockey fight, sort of..
    But usually players only do it when they are losing , out of gas or both. You just grab the hockey pants with one hand and opposing shoulder with the other and down you go.
    Its really difficult to manage any kind of throw when you are on skates.
    Fans don't really like it although it is deemed acceptable at the end of a prolonged tussle; if you went out doing that right off the hop, you wouldn't garner much respect from your opponents.
    Imagine someone the size of Zac Rinaldo ( 5'10, 6'1 on skates) trying to do that to Zdeno Chara ( 6'9, 7' on skates) lol..wouldn't work out too well.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    but jacket punching. no one else covers that

Sent from my potato SGH-T589R using potato talk2

Style
    Short Fist Boxing

Enforcers Going The Way of the Do-Do?

You decide..
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ered-1.2791340

I think its just the media looking for a story. But teams are much more interested in acquiring guys who can keep up with the speed of the game and fight, not just fight.

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    The Tootoo train !!

Nice to see Jordin back playing his role with an NHL team. He's a good energy player and you can always count on him to stick up for his teammates.

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    Poor Ladd gets his arm caught up in his jersey..but he does alright once he gets it free.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    I was listening to a show about fighting in hockey on CBC a couple of months ago. It sounds to me like it's going to be eventually outright banned to me. There is certainly a strong movement in that direction.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    It is a hot-button topic right now..
    But I've seen the same thing happen every ten years or so since the seventies. There are rumblings about fighting being legislated out of the game, rosters are emptied of one-dimensional players whose only job is to fight/intimidate and there is a decline in fights per game for a season or two.
    But it usually doesn't change things much over the long haul.
    The instigator rule was brought in the last time this happened. This time they are cracking down on 'staged fights' to reduce the number of dramatized, no-just-reason fighting majors. Which is just fine by me, btw.
    When a fight occurs due to intensity, tempers flaring and guys needing a release for frustration or because a wrong has to be rectified - that is when it serves a useful purpose. It isn't meant to be a sideshow, its something that should evolve naturally out of the dynamics of the game.
    Eventually, what will happen is fights will just become an automatic ejection from the game. No suspensions or anything as you see in other sports, but you will be tossed from the game. Unlike now, where you can serve a five-minute major and play the rest of the game.
    Players have to be able to do more than fight if they want to extend their careers.
    Real violence in hockey isn't fighting..its boarding, slew-footing, high-sticks to the head, butt-ending, blindsiding, elbowing a guy's head..those are the infractions that people need to worry about.
    The loudest voices for getting rid of fighting are people outside the game. 90% of players polled said they believe fighting has its place in the game.
    I say let the guys who play the game decide how much longer it needs to stay in the sport. They are the one's who are most affected by it - its their game, it should be their call.
    I really couldn't care less what the average jerk who doesn't even watch the game and certainly hasn't ever laced up the skates has to say about it. Usually, these are the people who whine about fighting the most.

Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last