Page 40 of 40 First ... 303637383940

Style
    shotokan karate, iaido
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A difference of a year when he was a child seems pretty trivial when you look at his actual questionable claims.
    Perma you've been here for a hot minute let me ask your opinion on something. Or actually anyone can chime in but... Is the money or the fame that great in martial arts that you would want to claim things such as the above? I ask cause most of my sensei's in my mind have never charged more than like 100$ a month or so * I live in California* so to me i'd find it hard to imagine that anyone would want to be full of it because they assume that martial arts is a pathway to riches. Although if I believe the claims of OC Kickboxing for him *the owner* it has been. What's your take on this?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Quote Originally Posted by gileanofgrey View Post
    Is the money or the fame that great in martial arts that you would want to claim things such as the above? I ask cause most of my sensei's in my mind have never charged more than like 100$ a month or so * I live in California* so to me i'd find it hard to imagine that anyone would want to be full of it because they assume that martial arts is a pathway to riches. Although if I believe the claims of OC Kickboxing for him *the owner* it has been. What's your take on this?
    That's kind of a 2 part question:
    1. The fame: bullshit martial arts culture really likes to perpetuate the image that martial arts is indeed a path to fame. Look at all the bullshit Black Belt Hall of Fames out there, where a bunch of pay-to-play certificate holders pay hundreds of dollars to put on suits and rub shoulders and take pics with each other shaking hands. Its in their interest to play up this angle. If you're outside of that community its perfectly clear that their fame and notoriety ends outside their dojo, but if you're inside it makes more sense. I feel like these types of martial arts groups prey on the identity-seeking individual, who wants to say I do more than just work a boring job and watch TV/Internet/etc. For those people, they want the fame and intrigue to be true, so they'll swallow what their seniors tell them, so they get to say I'm A Ninja Too.

2. The money: while there are plenty of successful mcdojos out there, I get the feeling that a lot of these dozens-of-blackbelts types don't really rake it in and often have a struggling dojo, probably due to low attendance/high turnaround. There's 2 dojos like this in my neighborhood and neither appears to be doing that great. But when you have a dojo like that, a lack of attendance/money can be spun as a positive: "We don't make much, because martial arts isn't about money for us", or "Our training is so legit that not many people can handle it". Plus running a business where you barely get by can still be a point of pride in a country where so many don't even have that.

Anyway, I dare say that we're getting off topic and should probably continue this elsewhere. MABS standards and all.
    Last edited by Permalost; 10/30/2015 3:05pm at .

Style
    shotokan karate, iaido
    Thank you :), it makes sense albeit... wow it sucks.

Style
    CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD
    Sorry for the late update.
    Bob Yoder is out of the picture. Died June, 15 2017
    安氏八极拳学生

Style
    Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
    Well, I for one would never speak ill of the dead, nah, **** that. Good riddance, you piece of ****.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    Sorry for the late update.
    Bob Yoder is out of the picture. Died June, 15 2017
    Seven months. They're probably still filling nail holes on the dojo walls.

Style
    Chinese Boxing

Style
    Mixed
    Oh, Bob. 45 is too soon. I feel a little bad for calling him the Lendingtree.com of bullshit. I hope his death wasn't PSTD related.

I'll always remember him as somebody whose military cred would have been more than enough to win me over with puppy love forever, if not for the fact that he was also Class A Bullshidoka with more crazy fake ranks than anyone in history.

Godspeed, just keep in mind what I said about making Ashida Kim's creds seem more legit. When we go, nobody will care about your belts or ranks but what you did with what you had. Now that you're gone, we can only hope people focus on remember you for your years of service, rather than your silly martial artist side.

His name was Bob Yoder, 10th Dan Police Methods, and Instructor of Dim Mak.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dis...?pid=185862350
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/05/2018 9:34pm at .

Page 40 of 40 First ... 303637383940