Thread: Choy Li Fut?

Style
    MT, Judo, Capoeira, BJJ

Choy Li Fut?

"Choy Li Fut is the most effective system that I've seen for fighting more than one person. [It] is one of the most difficult styles to attack and defend against. Choy Li Fut is the only style [of kung fu] that traveled to Thailand to fight the Thai boxers and hadn't lost." –Bruce Lee

For some reason, I find myself doubting that Bruce Lee actually said that. He never really spoke in absolutes like that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fabricated by the morbidly obese 14-year old loser who probably wrote the Wiki article.

Maybe he's talking about Choy Li Fut practitioners who went to Thailand and then started adopting pseudo-Muay Thai techniques (Sanshou)? Even then, I seriously doubt the practicality of anything that relies too heavily upon Chinese techniques. And in the end it doesn't matter because it's undocumented as far as I know.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Um yeah, Bruce Lee never said that. If anything he would have spoken in direct contrast of those remarks.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Yeah, don't think Bruce ever said that. If you look at his writings, he has technical notes and drawings on the styles he liked to draw from. Never saw a single reference to choy li fut or any of its techniques. Given his preference for straight lines and directness, as well as outspoken martial arts critiques, I doubt he'd be gushing over the art of Chinese haymaker katas.

Style
    Bjj
    Pepper spray would be more effective than Choy li fut in a multiple attacker scenerio! ..........cheaper too!