Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    being a fatty

Kendo, Kumdo, and barehanded fighting

I have 2 friends who do Kendo and Kumdo. They claim that because they're used to going against a sword, they can beat barehanded fighters even without weapons. Is that true? Is barehanded fighting taught there?

Style
    Jits
    Delusional.

And no, they are not used to go against swords. They're used to go against bamboo replicas... there is a big difference between some brusing and mutilation/death.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    Ok I've only ever sparred Kendo guys in weapons matches, however, I'm going to go ahead and say they're probably delusional.

Kendoka vs untrained noob - Kendoka will probably have an advantage in fitness and conditioning, and some damn good footwork.

Kendoka vs high-school wrestler? Game over man.

Style
    being a fatty
    Okay, thanks for your input guys. I was trying to argue with them that it doesn't work like that, but when I sparred them, they just said that I only won (by submission) cause I wasn't an "average fighter".

How would a Kendoka fare against a someone with a basketball/volleyball build? Tall, slim, with sport-oriented footwork. (untrained)

Against a football player? (A linebacker to a quarterbacker build. Half/full backers would be more akin to bball/vball build.)

Are barehanded techniques actually taught there? One claimed aikido, which I took with a grain of salt, but the other said that Kumdo is a mix of barehanded and sword fighting.

Kenshi with a fucking sharp sword equals bad-fucking-ass against anyone, short of holding a firearm.

Not many people carry Japanese swords anymore since the Meiji Restoration (shame)

Shinai-Kendo - not so much.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Thai Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Kenshi with a fucking sharp sword equals bad-fucking-ass against anyone, short holding a firearm.

In an effort to understand the difference between the two, this is the best I could do. I'm more confused than when I started.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    To be fair I'd be pretty wary of a Kendo guy who manages to pick up a broom or whatever.

As far as I'm aware there's no empty hand taught in Kendo, at least according to everything I've seen/read and the Kendoka I've trained with.

I have less knowledge of Kumdo, I've only ever met one guy who'd done it and he got it as part of his Hapkido training. I do know that some of the Kumdo forms have kicks in them, maybe they think that counts?

Style
    Kendo
    Kendo and kumdo are the same. Some things that transfer to a bare hands fight are fitness, mobility, the experience of being in a fight,aggressiveness and the ability to process at a higher speed than the average schmo. Those would add up to not mattering a bit against anyone trained in unarmed combat, and a bit of an edge against an untrained dude that would be erased by athleticism and/or aggression on his part.

In short, not entirely worthless but enough so that you can tell your friends a kendo sensei said they were full of ****.

I'd hedge a healthy wager that I could crack the skull of most grapplers with a bokuto much before they get the upper hand on me but, this would depend entirely on circumstance.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Kendo
    I thought we were talking empty hands here. Yeah, bokuto in my hand, other guys in trouble.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last