Style
    Krav Maga/ Muay thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you take private lessons???

It seems so expensive as most Kru's charge 50-100 dollars I think. how can most of us afford that??

Anyways, I have been too a couple of MT schools and I noticed a trend. It seems all of them do not provide a lot of feed back to you. The KRU Demonstrates the technique and then your basically on your own. I find this very hard to improve this way. Is this just how it is for MT gyms in general. I am in Seattle Area and willl not comment on the gym I am in.

Is this how it is in your gym.
    Last edited by dgold44; 3/27/2013 6:14pm at .

Style
    being a fatty
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    It seems so expensive as most Kru's charge 50-100 dollars I think. how can most of us afford that??

Anyways, I have been too a couple of MT schools and I noticed a trend. It seems all of them do not provide a lot of feed back to you. The KRU Demonstrates the technique and then your basically on your own. I find this very hard to improve this way. Is this just how it is for MT gyms in general. I am in Seattle Area and willl not comment on the gym I am in.

This does not belong in the Advanced Striking forum. It should be in Newbietown, here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Many fighters here don't take private lessons unless they are competing. On that note, private lessons are a great way to learn if you have the extra dosh.

In half-hour or hour private lessons, you'll advance very quickly, as long as you have practiced what you've been taught. You don't want to spend the hour practicing how to jab if you were taught that last week. Instead, spend you own time practicing the jab so when you do it, your instructor knows and can move on the the next strike, the cross (or whatever else he's teaching you).

If you are having trouble learning or understanding a technique, you can always just talk to your teacher.

If you really aren't learning from group lessons, it could either be:
    You teacher is teaching badly (unlikely)
    You're hindering yourself by not being as open-minded (more common)

Anywho, good luck and post an introduction in Newbietown.

Style
    Krav Maga/ Muay thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok thanks. I cannot find a way to delete this thread. I will be happy too remove it and repost it in the forum you mentioned.

Not sure how do delete it.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok thanks. I cannot find a way to delete this thread. I will be happy too remove it and repost it in the forum you mentioned.

Not sure how do delete it.
    Don't worry, a mod will probably do it for you, so don't go and make another thread. Regarding your question- only you can decide if private lessons are worth it to you. Take a few and see how you like them.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use to get the occasional free private lesson, they where cool, but for me I wasn't to a point where the added refinement was all that useful most of the time.

That being said everyone is different.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I personally don't give feed back because a lot of techniques are self correcting. If I stay watching somebody I usually have a student look at me and ask "Am I doing this right.". Which get's either a simple response if they don't know my humor "Um, sure." or if they do know my humor "No, I'm standing here this entire time watching you thinking, wow, you suck so badly that I'm not going to give you any instruction what so ever because hey 'why should I let you know if you're doing your technique correctly or not?".

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That seems kinda steep for a session, but consider this: you are paying for the time of an expert in their field, not a teenager to spin a sign. In other fields, one on one time with an expert can land you a bill of $150 to $1000 an hour.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    "No, I'm standing here this entire time watching you thinking, wow, you suck so badly that I'm not going to give you any instruction what so ever because hey 'why should I let you know if you're doing your technique correctly or not?".
    Wait, what? So you give private lessons and don't help your students?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Wait, what? So you give private lessons and don't help your students?
    Classes.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my club we don't. Just never really comes up.

Pretty much if I try to kill my coach everytime I spar. He likes the challenge and will spend more time on me.

As far as classes go they pretty much corner everybody. so I will get yelled at from across the room to do better or apply a certain technique.

So I will for example be sparring and hear "greg keep your fucking hands up" And I will yell. "keep my hand up" and continue on
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 3/29/2013 12:17am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts