Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recommend me knives!

I've decided to finally take my own advice and start carrying a knife or two for self-defense. I'm brushing up on my local laws and such, and as far as I can tell Michigan is cool with spring-assisted folding knives as of recently, not cool with fixed blade knives, not cool with double edged knives.
    With that in mind, any general advice on self-defense knives?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I don't think there's such a thing as a knife that's specifically good for self defence, knife 'fighting' is such a crap-shoot it there's no real advantage as to what you want to stick in the other person.

However for general use and and solid assisted opening pretty much any Kershaw blade is a good bet, popular LEOs and military the world over.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cold steel recon has a low profile and a solid as **** lock. You can pump it open with either hand.

Otherwise the spyderco tenacious is pretty cheap. And again easy to pop open.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Personally I don't think there's such a thing as a knife that's specifically good for self defence, knife 'fighting' is such a crap-shoot it there's no real advantage as to what you want to stick in the other person.

However for general use and and solid assisted opening pretty much any Kershaw blade is a good bet, popular LEOs and military the world over.
    To add my two cents to the above. You want one about medium to larger in hand. Solid. Few moving parts or very simple machine movement. Beefy pivots. Kershaw is good. Gerber... It really depends on your price limits and style preferences. You want a poky bit and a cutty bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General advice. And by the way I haven't ever shanked anyone would be. Thin so it doesn't take up all the room in your pocket. A solid lock so it doesn't fold in on your fingers. Easy to open I like the ability to use it left handed cos I am. I like a knife that looks at least a bit normal. Otherwise anything with a point should work.

Style
    Western Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cold Steel 4 or 6 inch Twilight. This is a two way opening knife . You can open it by drawing it from your pocket or use the thrumb assist button.Costs around $65.00 US / Joe

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarJoe View Post
    Cold Steel 4 or 6 inch Twilight. This is a two way opening knife . You can open it by drawing it from your pocket or use the thrumb assist button.Costs around $65.00 US / Joe
    Ti-Lite? Aluminum maybe?

They look nice but I haven't held one yet.
    Last edited by Christmas Spirit; 10/27/2017 3:09am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Ti-Lite? Aluminum maybe?

They look nice but I haven't held one yet.
    A bit tricky to open and a bit fat. Cool knife though.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want something beefy, I like the Benchmade Adamas folder a lot. It also happens to have been designed with input from my old Chaplain, MAJ(Ret) Struecker. That will make more sense if you do a search on him. Kershaw's ZT line is also hard to beat for beefy as well. The Adamas in particular (but several ZT knives as well) fills the hand well enough to pack your punch. As far as knife fighting goes, 1.) Yuck and 2.) Probably want to go lighter than these.

If you want something designed with input from martial artists, Spyderco has a couple I believe. Added bonus: their knives are usually light and you can create a fake Emerson wave function by running a cut off zip tie through the thumbhole.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have carried a knife almost every day for most of the last 15 years. I can tell you there are 2 things you MUST keep in mind.

1. Unless you are making a series of bad life choices, you will almost NEVER need this tool for self defense. Knives mostly suck for defense anyway. Too slow to deploy and short ranged to be an offensive deterrent and not enough size and structure to actually deflect other weapons attacks.

2. The knife you carry will mostly be a tool, that, in a pinch, if you have no other choice, CAN be used to defend yourself. So make your choice first based on its practicality as a tool that can double as a weapon at need.

I am personally a bit of a CRKT fanboy, but Kershaw makes really good knives as well.

Here is the link for where I shop for most of my knives, including the one I am carrying at this moment.
    https://www.crkt.com/shop/everyday-carry-knives.html

EDC knives are a good balance regarding the things I have mentioned regarding it being a tool FIRST that can defend you in a pinch.
    Some things to look at based on what you have mentioned:
    You want a reversible pocket clip for left handed use.
    You will likely want a slimmer handle scale.
    Purchase something you think will be comfortable and give you a good grip.
    Pay attention to the properties of the steel on the blade. Not really in terms of "Picking the best", but so that you will understand how to properly care for the knife.

That should get you started on owning and carrying knives. Have fun with it and with being the guy that has a knife when it's needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last