Page 10 of 11 First ... 67891011 Last
    Style
    Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    HG gets no respect ! Maybe it's harder than it seems ?
    I can't make it work for real, but we've already established that I suck.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I can't make it work for real, but we've already established that I suck.
    However, despite the fact you suck, you continue to train and compete, which means, in reality, you don't suck.

I can't explain Hiza Guruma online, I won't even try. It's one of those experiential things. I could show you, but it would still take a lot of focus on just HG for a while for you to maybe get it.

Unlike Tsurikomi Goshi, it's transcendental. So...spherical or something like that. Plus, most people leave a huge suki for it all the time. (kendoka like you will get that, LOL).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    However, despite the fact you suck, you continue to train and compete, which means, in reality, you don't suck.
    Kendo (or judo): the art of sucking slightly less each day.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Right on ! Ain't no easy solutions.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, Judo
    Did you have a transcendental experience that completely changed your style of posting?

Good to see you around still, though.

Style
    Judo, Karate
    This is so true! As a lowly Kyu grade, I have had some success in early competitions and thought I was progressing - Alas, at a competition on the weekend, I got thoroughly smashed and have had to reset my expectations (and ego). My aim now is to heal (as I injured my knee in my second match on the weekend), get back on the mat and train harder. It is a tough art that we have chosen, but when you can pull off a beautiful throw or transition, it really does make it worth it.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Did you have a transcendental experience that completely changed your style of posting?

Good to see you around still, though.
    Every moment is a transcendental experience for me. Neil is a big boy he can handle normal male humor mode.

Style
    Jujitsu, Karate
    Although not beginner level, kata garuma is pretty simple - what about that?

Style
    Judo, jujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
    Although not beginner level, kata garuma is pretty simple - what about that?
    Two problems there--one, you have to get really low for kata guruma. Makes it harder for a tall person, esp. against a short one. And two, kata guruma isn't legal in competition anymore. It's still taught (at least in kata--that was the first time I'd ever done it) but nobody I know of really drills it or does it in randori.

Style
    Jujitsu, Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Terrier View Post
    Two problems there--one, you have to get really low for kata guruma. Makes it harder for a tall person, esp. against a short one. And two, kata guruma isn't legal in competition anymore. It's still taught (at least in kata--that was the first time I'd ever done it) but nobody I know of really drills it or does it in randori.
    JTerrier - agree that it's not legal anymore, so maybe only for "experimental" sessions in the dojo . I was thinking of the kneeling variation, where it works if you're taller. Anyone ever tried this variation?

Page 10 of 11 First ... 67891011 Last