Page 10 of 11 First ... 67891011 Last
  1. #91
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,078
    Style
    Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    HG gets no respect ! Maybe it's harder than it seems ?
    I can't make it work for real, but we've already established that I suck.

  2. #92
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,798
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I can't make it work for real, but we've already established that I suck.
    However, despite the fact you suck, you continue to train and compete, which means, in reality, you don't suck.

    I can't explain Hiza Guruma online, I won't even try. It's one of those experiential things. I could show you, but it would still take a lot of focus on just HG for a while for you to maybe get it.

    Unlike Tsurikomi Goshi, it's transcendental. So...spherical or something like that. Plus, most people leave a huge suki for it all the time. (kendoka like you will get that, LOL).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #93
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,078
    Style
    Kendo
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    However, despite the fact you suck, you continue to train and compete, which means, in reality, you don't suck.
    Kendo (or judo): the art of sucking slightly less each day.

  4. #94
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,798
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Kendo (or judo): the art of sucking slightly less each day.
    Right on ! Ain't no easy solutions.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #95

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    417
    Style
    BJJ, Judo
    Did you have a transcendental experience that completely changed your style of posting?

    Good to see you around still, though.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    34
    Style
    Judo, Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Kendo (or judo): the art of sucking slightly less each day.
    This is so true! As a lowly Kyu grade, I have had some success in early competitions and thought I was progressing - Alas, at a competition on the weekend, I got thoroughly smashed and have had to reset my expectations (and ego). My aim now is to heal (as I injured my knee in my second match on the weekend), get back on the mat and train harder. It is a tough art that we have chosen, but when you can pull off a beautiful throw or transition, it really does make it worth it.

  7. #97
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,798
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Did you have a transcendental experience that completely changed your style of posting?

    Good to see you around still, though.
    Every moment is a transcendental experience for me. Neil is a big boy he can handle normal male humor mode.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #98

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    28
    Style
    Jujitsu, Karate
    Although not beginner level, kata garuma is pretty simple - what about that?

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    22
    Style
    Judo, jujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
    Although not beginner level, kata garuma is pretty simple - what about that?
    Two problems there--one, you have to get really low for kata guruma. Makes it harder for a tall person, esp. against a short one. And two, kata guruma isn't legal in competition anymore. It's still taught (at least in kata--that was the first time I'd ever done it) but nobody I know of really drills it or does it in randori.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    28
    Style
    Jujitsu, Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Terrier View Post
    Two problems there--one, you have to get really low for kata guruma. Makes it harder for a tall person, esp. against a short one. And two, kata guruma isn't legal in competition anymore. It's still taught (at least in kata--that was the first time I'd ever done it) but nobody I know of really drills it or does it in randori.
    JTerrier - agree that it's not legal anymore, so maybe only for "experimental" sessions in the dojo . I was thinking of the kneeling variation, where it works if you're taller. Anyone ever tried this variation?


Page 10 of 11 First ... 67891011 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in