Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    none currently
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Older dude looking for BJJ in south L.A.

Hello all!
    I am a long time lurker of this site and finally registered as I was hoping for some personal advice.

I recently moved to the Southbay area of Los Angles (Hermosa Beach/Manhattan Beach). This place seems to be a hotbed of BJJ training and I REALLY want to do it. However, I am almost 40 and the few schools I've actually walked by seemed to be FULL of 15-17 year olds which is cool, but I am hoping to find a school with older guys like myself. Would anybody have any school recommendations for such a place in the Southbay area of Los Angeles?

About me: I am active and have a MINIMAL background in Wing Chun and boxing. I work in healthcare as an EMT and have been drawn to the ideology of BJJ (chokes, locks, holds instead of striking) as a means of helping protect myself from patients who are out of control.

Thanks all!
    (I had to quickly rewrite this as my last attempt got blocked or something)

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. Shouldn't matter how old you are in a quality gym. I'm an old n00b myself, getting owned by kids is part of the game. I get revenge by using Fat Old Man Strength on them periodically.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 47. They were calling a 37 year old in our gym "old man" the other day, not sure what that makes me. Just train, try not to get injured. The hardest thing to do is to just let go of everything and have fun, enjoy the training itself. If you find out how to do that all the time let me know. Good luck.

Style
    none currently
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies.
    You both make good points. I guess I was just hoping to find a gym where I wouldn't feel so much like Seindfeld's Kramer when he takes karate lessons and ends up beating up the 12 year olds while slurping on a juicebox.
    If anyone has any practical experience with the BJJ training centers in this area I would appreciate your input (or if you know of any other resources to gain information).

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You young pup. You gonna come up to my place for any of the CA get togethers? I'm in Santa Barbara.

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about your age. I started Jiu Jitsu at a Relson Gracie Academy when I was 40 as my 40th birthday present to me and started Judo at 44 last year.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I am 47.
    Ha ha, you're older than I am. :TrollDad:
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was 36, fat and completely out of shape when I started training. As the others said, in a quality school you'll find good guys. I'm almost 42 now, and I'm the second oldest guy in my gym.

Listen to your body, train smart and don't be ashamed to tap... a lot.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm the oldest guy at my gym 40 as of last week. I also get my ass handed to me by kids less than half my age...**** happens. Plus...when you finally do kick their ass it'll make you feel young. As said by others...tap a lot, don't overtrain...and buy a shitload of disposable icepacks.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    I'm the oldest guy at my gym 40 as of last week. I also get my ass handed to me by kids less than half my age...**** happens. Plus...when you finally do kick their ass it'll make you feel young. As said by others...tap a lot, don't overtrain...and buy a shitload of disposable icepacks.
    You're the oldest!? Damn, I have guys in there 70's training with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last