Page 55 of 55 First ... 5455152535455
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I always thought of those old testament rules as if a scientist from the future went back in time and had to instruct the ignorant man on how to survive. And instead of trying to explain germs and bacteria to man who didn't even have basic understanding of these invisible things, he just said "Alright, look, if you don't wash your hands when you go into your house, you will go to hell. If you eat these things that will kill you, you will go to hell." --ignorant man, "but how do we tell the difference between an oyster with vibrio and a vulture?" --God scientist, "Just only eat things in the water with fins and scales, and you have to cook pork to a certain temp" --man, "what's a temp?" God scientist, "BAH! Don't eat pork." ***walks off grumbling,"....stupid man, why do I bother...."
    An interesting linguistic note, in the original Hebrew the word ascribed to the "non-edibles" is more like "detestable" or "unclean".

But in later Christian texts like the KJB, it becomes more like "abomination", "wicked", "cursed".

You can practically see the guilt trip changing over centuries from "don't eat that" to "if you eat that God will smite thee!"
    '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I always thought of those old testament rules as if a scientist from the future went back in time and had to instruct the ignorant man on how to survive. And instead of trying to explain germs and bacteria to man who didn't even have basic understanding of these invisible things, he just said "Alright, look, if you don't wash your hands when you go into your house, you will go to hell. If you eat these things that will kill you, you will go to hell." --ignorant man, "but how do we tell the difference between an oyster with vibrio and a vulture?" --God scientist, "Just only eat things in the water with fins and scales, and you have to cook pork to a certain temp" --man, "what's a temp?" God scientist, "BAH! Don't eat pork." ***walks off grumbling,"....stupid man, why do I bother...."
    Yep, that's the way I've always interpreted. Religious leaders were leaders because they had enough smarts to look at "known," hazards and, quite literally, put the fear of God into their followers. Continuation of the species was their goal, which then turned into preservation of power. This also goes a little ways to explain restrictions on sodomy and homosexuality, which were widely practiced and accepted in other contemporary societies.

Style
    Mixed
    I could never go vegan. I love bacon, and always will.

Speaking of which, now is the time to discuss the new red meat research controversy..

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...th-ncna1063491

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...rocessed-meat/

New “guidelines” say continue red meat consumption habits, but recommendations contradict evidence
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/10/2019 10:15am at .
    '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I could never go vegan. I love bacon, and always will.

Speaking of which, now is the time to discuss the new red meat research controversy..

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...th-ncna1063491

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...rocessed-meat/
    That top article is right where I'm at. Every time they tell us something is bad, we just have to wait a little while till they change their minds. So why bother.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Mixed
    That top article is right where I'm at. Every time they tell us something is bad, we just have to wait a little while till they change their minds. So why bother.
    Bacon has such a high protein to fat ratio for meat, for all the demonization.

Since any risks associated with saturated fat tend to be due to cardiovascular health, it stands to reason bacon, sausage, steak, eggs are all OK as long as you put the work in the reduce cholesterol and other heart/artery choking stuff.

I wonder if the conflicting studies are a representation of the average person who doesn't get enough exercise and the smaller fraction that do: lots of processed meat and little exercise = bad health. Lots of red meat and pork and decent exercise, what's that going to lead to either than muscle mass and good CV health?

The only thing I can think of is sodium intake etc. But even that is ok as long as you're sweating it out. In fact extra sodium or potassium is important for heavy duty workouts.

Style
    Pro-Wrestling/PitFighting
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Shut the **** up retard.
    Ok.
    Penis

Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Goju Ryu
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You're leaving out the other parts of Leviticus: vultures, osprey, falcon, raven, ostrich, hawk, owl, pelican, stork, heron, bats...

There are more. But you can eat locusts, according to the Old Testament.

Remember, these were desert people with no access to decent shellfish anyway.

Where were they gonna find dolphins or crabs, the Red Sea?

There were plenty of prostitutes around to provide the crabs, jussayin.

Page 55 of 55 First ... 5455152535455