Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    American Kenpo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Please allow me to introduce myself ...

... I'm a man of wealth and taste... Just not so much.

Hello all, my name is Wouter ( nickname Woody). Very much a beginner in the ways of martial arts I stumbled on this website and liked the feel of it: no nonsense, no BS, full of info ... just what I like.
    I'm 30, from Belgium, and I prefer to discuss the topic of beer over discussing things like chocolate or waffles.

My martial experience is limited. From age 10 to 16 I practiced Judo and earned a green belt. After that I decided to drop martial arts in favor of playing guitar in a progmetal band. A bad experience a few years back made me realise that everybody needs to know something about fighting.
    A few of my friends practiced American Kenpo in a small dojo nearby and so I joined them. I have been an avid practicioner for just over a year but I feel really at home in this style and in this club ( http://www.zenkenpo.blogspot.com/ , Dutch only sorry ). Besides the mandatory training sessions twice a week a few members and myself use the dojo on saturdays to do some more conditioning, and some bouts in what we jokingly call " Kenpo Kickboxing". It's basicly just full contact fighting, but that name just appeals to that twelve year old kid that liked to watch Van Damme movies we all appear to have inside.
    On sundays we train externally with Daniel Hayen, who was one of the guys who introduced Kenpo / Kempo in Belgium. His teachings have more of a Hawaiian or even Kajukenbo feel to them ( more info: http://www.kempo-karate.be/index.php?lang=en ). I've learned an awfull lot training this way. I wouldn't mind retraining some of the Judo ne-waza techniques I used to know, as I like groundwork at least as much as striking.

Right now my training is interrupted a bit as my left hand is broken. So I resolved to overcome this temporary handicap by stretching a lot and practicing my kicks ( which are still way below par ) and browsing the web for information about all things regarding martial arts, and thus stumbled on this site. It has proven to be a treasure trove.

So I decided not to be a lurker and registered. Time will tell if me contributing will even be possible.

Cheers
    Woody

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. Don't talk to Lebell; he's from Holland, and an asshole.

Style
    American Kenpo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thnx Phrost, I'll keep that in mind.

Style
    BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you like the Kenpo? More or less than Judo?

Prog metal? Psychotic Waltz and Dream Theatre are so full of pwn.

And welcome to bullshido.

Style
    American Kenpo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thnx Bruiser.
    I enjoy it on a different level. My parents enrolled me in the local Judo club, and starting Kenpo was my own choice as an adult ( which started a total martial arts craze in my head... ). I used to like it, but one of the guys there ( green belt when I started) happened to be just one of the bullies making my life hell ... Thus defeating the very reason why my parents sent me there... This irony strengthened my pain threshold, so it wasn't all bad.
    I still have a lot of Judo reflexes though. Just a month back I was sparring with a guy and he clinched me, and as I uncliched I threw him in an o soto-gari. Basic, but still effective if there is an opening for it. Bruised him severely. We don't practice breaking our falls nearly enough...

DT and Psychotic Waltz are awesome. Our music is in their vein. I'll PM you a link to some of our songs if you like.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyCorpus View Post
    We don't practice breaking our falls nearly enough...
    I used to teach at a kempo-influenced kung fu place, and I was the only one there who insisted we do breakfalls in class regularly.

Style
    Fire and Water Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome and to your point about kicking. I've seen several people , myself included, who have improved dramatically in a weak area when compensating for an injury.

Ricw

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Style
    American Kenpo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I used to teach at a kempo-influenced kung fu place, and I was the only one there who insisted we do breakfalls in class regularly.
    I hear you. And even then ... Realism is very important in our club. Hits are hits, strikes are strikes, a groinshot is a groinshot. Every use of what is deemed excessive is open for what we call "payback time", and it is often used. So we train hard, but when it comes to falls that realism is lacking ... Oh well, maybe I want too much. No dojo can be perfect. Maybe my incessant nagging will change our sifu's mind on this subject.

Style
    BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyCorpus View Post
    Thnx Bruiser.
    I enjoy it on a different level. My parents enrolled me in the local Judo club, and starting Kenpo was my own choice as an adult ( which started a total martial arts craze in my head... ). I used to like it, but one of the guys there ( green belt when I started) happened to be just one of the bullies making my life hell ... Thus defeating the very reason why my parents sent me there... This irony strengthened my pain threshold, so it wasn't all bad.
    I still have a lot of Judo reflexes though. Just a month back I was sparring with a guy and he clinched me, and as I uncliched I threw him in an o soto-gari. Basic, but still effective if there is an opening for it. Bruised him severely. We don't practice breaking our falls nearly enough...

DT and Psychotic Waltz are awesome. Our music is in their vein. I'll PM you a link to some of our songs if you like.
    Very cool man. Ed Parker's stuff is either awesome or bullshido depending on how they train it. If they spar the good on you man.

Please do, I'm always up for food music to listen to.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last