Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: An introduction

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    146
    Style
    MT, BJJ, BBT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    An introduction

    Hey, I'll be calling myself Ketsueki on these boards, and I'm hoping to get some quality MA instruction at some point but am t3h n0ob presently. I've had some shady training in the past, and I'm attending a shady class in the present. My early forays into MA's were not overwhelmingly good, and the majority of my studies have been with ninjer masters who taught me Bujinkan Taijutsu. This took many many moons, and has left me not so great at actually winning fights.

    I'm not sure what I should be looking for, but I think one of my obstacles is a mental block brought about from insecurity. I've got a runner's build and metabolism. This led me to presuppose that I would not be good for a hard striking style. In spite of this, I think I would actually like to try some Muay Thai training at some point. I'm also not terribly flexible and, while quite toned, do not have a lot of raw power. These things aren't apparently important in the Bujinkan. The only useful muscle development I got out of that training was the quad work you get from maintaining deep kamae, the core muscle work you get in ukemi training, and the defensive muscles you build in weird places from getting your ass kicked by your instructor.

    Anyhow... I live in the Imperial Beach area of San Diego, and I would definitely be interested in meeting people who actually know what they're talking about. I'd also like to find a good school to attend. I currently pay $100 a month to drive 50 miles a day for Bujinkan. I'm sure I can do better than that. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and I hope we can kick each others asses some day.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    165
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey,

    i'm new as well, I've lurked for a fair old while and I've noticed that the "N*" word is like a red rag to a bullshido.

    Best of Luck though.








    *N word is Ninjer in case you were wondering

  3. #3
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,874
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

    My first suggestion is to drop the preconceived notions like hard and soft styles.

    My second suggestion is to pretend you know nothing at all about fighting when you get into your dojo/gym/school/grappleshed. I don't care how confident you are in your knowledge, forget it.

    If you want to learn how to fight find a school that spars hard and competes. You will then gain confidence as you learn your actual limitations.


    Have you tried to google martial arts school and gyms in your area? Cause my last suggestion is the most important. Stop wasting gas and money with the Booj. If you were in a school that met your stated goals ... you would not have posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ketsueki View Post
    Hey, I'll be calling myself Ketsueki on these boards, and I'm hoping to get some quality MA instruction at some point but am t3h n0ob presently. I've had some shady training in the past, and I'm attending a shady class in the present. My early forays into MA's were not overwhelmingly good, and the majority of my studies have been with ninjer masters who taught me Bujinkan Taijutsu. This took many many moons, and has left me not so great at actually winning fights.

    I'm not sure what I should be looking for, but I think one of my obstacles is a mental block brought about from insecurity. I've got a runner's build and metabolism. This led me to presuppose that I would not be good for a hard striking style. In spite of this, I think I would actually like to try some Muay Thai training at some point. I'm also not terribly flexible and, while quite toned, do not have a lot of raw power. These things aren't apparently important in the Bujinkan. The only useful muscle development I got out of that training was the quad work you get from maintaining deep kamae, the core muscle work you get in ukemi training, and the defensive muscles you build in weird places from getting your ass kicked by your instructor.

    Anyhow... I live in the Imperial Beach area of San Diego, and I would definitely be interested in meeting people who actually know what they're talking about. I'd also like to find a good school to attend. I currently pay $100 a month to drive 50 miles a day for Bujinkan. I'm sure I can do better than that. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and I hope we can kick each others asses some day.
    also I have not seen ANYTHING practical from the booj that was not taught in other arts and with better results. That includes conditioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    146
    Style
    MT, BJJ, BBT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. Yes, Fish, I'm aware of the stigma of the N word. I also feel it is a well-warranted stigma, and my class is doing nothing to change that.

    BFM, I did try googling my area, but the only hits coming up close are TKD and one place that calls itself a "Kickboxing" studio with a family focus... I found a few gyms reasonably close that are listed as MMA gyms... but I'm leery of running into a bunch of guys driving bro-dozers and high fiving each other in between roid-rage fueled dick measuring contests. I'm interested in MMA, and have a respect for the athletes who have made it popular... but most of the fanboys with closets stocked by Tapout are about as good as an x-kan member for training. 'Cept I'd probably get hurt more.

    I guess I'm hoping to find someone who lives in the area, and has tried a bit of the local flavor. I actually came from the middle of Michigan, where any training at all was a little hard to come by. I have been in California for almost a year, but don't know of that many places here.

  5. #5
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,874
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketsueki View Post

    BFM, I did try googling my area, but the only hits coming up close are TKD and one place that calls itself a "Kickboxing" studio with a family focus... I found a few gyms reasonably close that are listed as MMA gyms... but I'm leery of running into a bunch of guys driving bro-dozers and high fiving each other in between roid-rage fueled dick measuring contests. I'm interested in MMA, and have a respect for the athletes who have made it popular... but most of the fanboys with closets stocked by Tapout are about as good as an x-kan member for training. 'Cept I'd probably get hurt more.
    You are doing that preconceived notion thing man ... :(

    STOP!


    and I see like 50 judo places just off tops ...
    Last edited by Christmas Spirit; 10/06/2010 4:22am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    146
    Style
    MT, BJJ, BBT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Touché.. I shall try harder to check my preconceived notions at the door. I've been burned before, but that's no excuse to be an ass. However, if you zoom in on the part of San Diego that actually is I.B., you won't see so many of those dots, and none of them are actual judo schools. One is even a yacht club. Dunno how they get tagged on google maps for Judo.

  7. #7
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,874
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You going what ... a hundred miles round trip for ninja lessons?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    146
    Style
    MT, BJJ, BBT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, 50 is round trip. What is S.L.L.?

  9. #9
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,216
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go here: http://www.blackhouseteamnogueira.com/

    If you can drive 50 miles for ninjer silliness there's really no excuse not to.

    Why are you so 'leery' of this fictional horrendous MMA gym you've so carefully constructed? If you try somewhere and you don't like, you don't go back. Fairly simple, no?

  10. #10
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,874
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sick lame or lazy ...

    I am out with a back injury, as a matter of fact I found out yesterday I go into surgery tuesday ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in