Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    eclectic kung fu some BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

noob in north texas

I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to sign up for an account. Now that I have, I keep getting a huge screen-sized message telling me to post here. So, here I am.

I'm a 41 year old male, living just north of Dallas. I have a bad back, and a recurring lateral collateral knee injury that bug me on a pretty much weekly basis. I'm overweight and out of shape...getting older sucks. I've been dabbling in various martial arts, on and off, since about junior high school.

I've trained in a few kung fu styles (wu shu, 5 animals kung fu, quan po kung fu among others), and from my reading, I gather that many posters here have a particular condescension when talking MA with "kungfools." That's alright by me..I share many of those same feelings. I've also trained here and there in Bunjinkan, BJJ, tae kwon do, aikido, and some kickboxing.

My theory, even as a youth, has been to cut out all of the bullshit in the martial arts I've taken, and stick to reliable and predictable techniques and movements. That has meant, over the years, in cutting out a *lot* of bullshit (I mean, seriously--look at some of the stuff I've taken! hah). So, the rise of MMA, and forums like this one really warm this old guy's heart.

If there's ever a throwdown in my area (Dallas, though I grew up in H-town and travel there often too), I'd love to show up and trade pokes, though these days I gas out a lot faster than I used to. heh.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to bullshido tinwhistler.

you seem to have been involved in a few martial arts, do you have a favourite ?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** Texas.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    **** Texas.
    You're just grumpy cause we're aggressive drivers.

We have Houston Throwdowns and will probably have one in December. Welcome to Bullshido!

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. I'm also 41. We have throwdowns in Houston, Austin and less often in Dallas. You are welcome at any and all of them.

**** Texas.
    I'm telling your mom.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** Texas.
    Lol, I often feel the same way. Especially in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    You're just grumpy cause we're aggressive drivers.

We have Houston Throwdowns and will probably have one in December. Welcome to Bullshido!
    Thanks! I'm not sure i could make one in December. I have 3 kids and family and all that stuff, and that's awfully close to Christmas. My wife would probably get a bit sore if I spent Christmas money on gas for the trip. But I do hope to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    welcome to bullshido tinwhistler.

you seem to have been involved in a few martial arts, do you have a favourite ?
    Honestly, not really. When I was younger, I had that same "my style is the best" or "kung fu wipes the floor with karate!" attitude that a lotta guys seem to have when they feel a lot of personal attachment to a style. I left those machismo posturings behind a while back, though. Being a bit of a shop-around slut, I'm really more interested in learning new things than being caught up in style wars.

A couple of years ago, I took some BJJ under Tery Corkran (who claims to have a 3rd degree black belt under Carlos Machado and I have no reason to doubt it, as he's also won a couple of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Pan American Championships). I don't live near the school any longer, but I'm really interested in continuing that kind of training to improve my ground skills.
    Last edited by tinwhistler; 11/12/2010 8:04am at .

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tinwhistler View Post
    Lol, I often feel the same way. Especially in the summer.

Thanks! I'm not sure i could make one in December. I have 3 kids and family and all that stuff, and that's awfully close to Christmas. My wife would probably get a bit sore if I spent Christmas money on gas for the trip. But I do hope to make one.

Honestly, not really. When I was younger, I had that same "my style is the best" or "kung fu wipes the floor with karate!" attitude that a lotta guys seem to have when they feel a lot of personal attachment to a style. I left those machismo posturings behind a while back, though. Being a bit of a shop-around slut, I'm really more interested in learning new things than being caught up in style wars.

A couple of years ago, I took some BJJ under Tery Corkran (who claims to have a 3rd degree black belt under Carlos Machado and I have no reason to doubt it, as he's also won a couple of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Pan American Championships). I don't live near the school any longer, but I'm really interested in continuing that kind of training to improve my ground skills.
    I've trained at Terry's school a few times. You don't find too many schools as friendly as his.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained at Terry's school a few times. You don't find too many schools as friendly as his.
    Honestly, I remember the heat more than the friendliness. At the time (though I don't know about now) there was no A/C in the school and the only thing we had to keep us from dying in the Texas summer heat was a single little oscillating fan which did more to make the school a convection oven than it did to cool the place off ;)

It probably didn't help that I was nearly 50 lbs heavier then than I am now. I've been bringing the weight down, about a pound every week or two. But man, it's slow going. Nothing sucks worse than being an old fat guy who used to have a 26" in waist in his prime. heh.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's moved over to Flower Mound and the gym is much better ventilated. I remember the previous location; ugh.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last