Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi All! Needing help finding a good school/gym in Jacksonville, FL

Hi all, my name is Hairston. I have been looking around on the forums and searching for good schools (using the stickies) but I was wanting to know if anyone knew (already) of a good school in the jacksonville florida area. I have seen one school, which is about 15-20 mins from my home named the training yard. http://www.thetrainingyard.com/mma.html. It is $75 a month, no contract, and it has boxing, MT, BJJ, and for an additional fee, judo. Im still trying to figure out where I should start as martial arts is new to me. Ive had people tell me to start with Arnis and JKD but ive heard nothing but good about judo, mt, bjj, etc on these forums. I am im in my upper 20's, 6ft, medium frame. Im not sure if that matters in assisting me with an art but I figured I would post it just in case. Nice to meet you all.
    Last edited by jnp; 8/23/2011 8:33am at .

Style
    PMA, CLF, Longfist n more
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum.

Im not going to point you in one direction or another with school or style, especially since Im not within 500 miles of Jacksonville, but checking out ALL the schools within a reasonable range to you will definitely give you a better idea of what art you want to train in. Yellow Pages/Google search for a nonspecific school and ask to participate in a class.

In my opinion, the more schools/styles to choose from, the better. I started out strictly Wing Chun, but branched out to Kali, Kempo, Tai Chi and a lil bit o BJJ (at 1 school but it still counts) when I realized how each martial art can compliment another. Now that Ive seen a GOOD TKD school, along with a legit Shaolin-style school in my area, Im looking at even more possibilities to train. On top of that, my longest commute by far is about 20 min, but thats near my college anyways, so inbd.

I guess im saying to keep an open mind about whatever you see at a school. If the school you described feels right, then go for it. let us know how it turns out!

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Size doesnt matter btw... its how you use it :P

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hairston,

Welcome to the site.

Now get your ass into the nearest judo dojo for your introductory free week or two of lessons.

Other recommendations

BJJ
    Boxing
    Sambo (if you can find it)
    Maui Thai
    Kickboxing

just say no to

TKD
    JKD
    TSD
    HKD
    Chun
    Aikido
    Yellow Bamboo
    Ninjer clubs
    RBSD (most of it)
    Kem(n)po (most of it)

Putting Jacksonville, FL into your thread title would have helped.

Good luck.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First and foremost. Thank you both for the warm welcomes. I definitely love how straight to the point and blunt some of the bullshido members are! I will update my thread to say Jacksonville, fl. I dont know why i didnt. Thanks for letting me know where NOT to go..that definitely helps rule out alot of headaches. The judo dojo here is Judo Ryu Jacksonville http://www.judojax.com/. Could you give me your opinions on this place? It really is the only judo "dojo" Ive seen here. Thanks again!!

Edit: Ok, nevermind...I now see that I cannot update the thread post anymore. Ahh well, my mistake.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks legit. Did you get a price? Because the site says its only 2 days a week, and if its like a 40 minute trip and $100+ a month, it may not be the ideal choice.

Also, what are you looking for in the school? Are you interested in becoming a 4th dan/degree blackbelt or higher? Or are you looking for fighting skills?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-fu Jesus View Post
    Are you interested in becoming a 4th dan/degree blackbelt or higher? Or are you looking for fighting skills?
    That you believe these two are unconnected leads me to urge the OP disregard any advice you give.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairston630 View Post
    Ok, nevermind...I now see that I cannot update the thread post anymore. Ahh well, my mistake.
    I edited the title to include your location.

Welcome to Bullshido. While I'm not familiar with the Jacksonville area, your best bet is to visit as many schools that sound interesting to you as you can and then form an opinion based on a firsthand impressions.

Just like any investment, a little consumer research goes a long way.
    Shut the hell up and train.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again. Yeah I plan on checking out the existing schools in my area once I get my next paycheck. There is one other school I am interested in that may be a good candidate. Its world martial arts. Its on the way home from work, costs $80 a month for 2 classes and I could take BJJ and Muay Thai. Unfortunately they do not teach judo here but it beats driving 25 minutes a day to get to a judo dojo. Heres the link if anyone wants to check on it http://www.worldmartialartsjax.com/. Thank you all again for the warm welcomes.

I meant 2 arts, not 2 classes sorry.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    That you believe these two are unconnected leads me to urge the OP disregard any advice you give.
    Or I'm asking if he wants to take this anywhere instead of say... learning how to hump a leg really hard. Thanks for thinking before you post.

@hairston630 - This school looks good too. Check out their JKD and/or Kali classes also especially since they are showing affiliation with Dan Inosanto. They really are interesting, IMO more so than Muay Thai.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last