Page 7 of 8 First ... 345678 Last
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamabushi7 View Post
    I study Danzan Ryu Jujitsu with the American Judo and jujitsu Federation sometimes called Kodenkan Jujitsu. It seems the words Judo and Jujitsu are interchangeable in our Federation. The school I am currently at is called Medford Judo I will share our Shodan requirements. 20 techniques from Yawara list escapes wrist locks and finger or thumb locks, 20 techniques from Nage no kata these are throws, 25 techniques from Shime list hold downs chokes and arm locks, 25 techniques from Oku te list throws that transition to arm bars, counter throws, throws from punch's, counter attacks. Great youtube video on this list called Kodenkan Jiu-Jitsu Old School Oku. Kiai no Maki list 27 techniques breath control, knife arts, stick arts, gun arts. Fujin Goshin no Maki 35 self defense arts, Kapo 9 healing arts, Shinnin no Maki first 15 arts this is called the start of the Okuden or secret teaching I am not allowed to give details. Kicking blocking and striking are also required. A detailed note book must be presented and this counts as the written. Participation in at least one freestyle contest (our version of randori) 209 techniques demonstrated before a board of Professors and or black belt not from test subjects home school. Must pass criminal back ground check. I have no idea if the Japanese or Americans are better.
    So, you know Jim Linn? I used to do Judo with him in New Orleans.

Anyway, Kodenkan/Dan Zan Ryu may use the word Judo, but it isn't Kodokan Judo. Other koryu jujutsu school did/may have used the word "judo" (sorry can't type kanji). Of course, Dan Zan Ryu isn't a koryu art.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ
    Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA
    Inthink this is the group that just became part of USA Judo.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I'm suggesting that there is a relationship between American sports and elitism.

I couldn't resist. Honestly, I think it depends on the sport. I think the average American would assume the Japanese test is tougher in the case of Judo though. This answer would most likely stem from racial bias and not hard facts, but I don't see American elitism being an issue in Judo.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic View Post
    We do lead the world in Olympic gold medals broski......
    Do you mean lead as in.. the largest number of participants?
    Or did you mean.. the largest number of events you compete in..
    Wait, maybe you meant the largest number of elite international coaches imported to states-based athletic programs.
    Maybe you meant the largest amount of funding into the national sports program.

:D

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Here is the gist of my shodan test.

Written exam
    Demonstrate entire Gokyo No waza in the following fashion (note, only 40 throws, although I did know and have to do a lot of the new ones).
    1.) From memory-no one told me which throw to do next, and it was minus points if I had to ask. I didn't need any help.
    2.) Demonstrate a combination for each throw.
    3.) Demonstrate a counter for each throw.
    4.) All that was done right and left sides.
    5.) All 5 sets Nage No Kata, uke and tori.
    6.) I had to be certified as a state level referee ("D" in those days)
    7.) Refereed 3 o 4 mock matches to show I could referee.
    8.) Tons of competition points plus time in grade as ikkyu
    9.) Demonstrate randori
    10.) Answer any and all questions from the promotion board, plus demo whatever they asked me to do.
    11.) Demonstrate all the katame waza of Judo, plus multiple escapes, turtle turnovers, reversals, etc.

That's about the same as in Belgium for Shodan.(also only 40 throws)
    When you have passed the Yondan exam, you can say that you tested with all the 67 throws...so I still have a long way to go, but I like the journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Inthink this is the group that just became part of USA Judo.
    LOL, well, it seems not much is coming of that miscagenation.

Ben

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    That's about the same as in Belgium for Shodan.(also only 40 throws)
    When you have passed the Yondan exam, you can say that you tested with all the 67 throws...so I still have a long way to go, but I like the journey.
    LOL, old school still in Belgium then. I did have to do most of the rest of the additional throws added, it's just that back then (1985) they were not officially recoginized.

Ben

Style
    Danzan Ryu jujitsu
    I have never heard of Jim Linn. I study at Medfrod Judo (Medfordjudo.com) and before that Chico Kodekan(chicokodenkan.com) Jim Linn my have studied here the school has been open for 50 years with the same instructor who has produced 46 black belts. The man who started Danzan Ryu Professor Okazaki was awarded a Nidan by Kano in 1924 and combined that with other arts. He started Danzan Ryu in 1929

Style
    JamBoxer
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Do you mean lead as in.. the largest number of participants?
    Or did you mean.. the largest number of events you compete in..
    Wait, maybe you meant the largest number of elite international coaches imported to states-based athletic programs.
    Maybe you meant the largest amount of funding into the national sports program.

:D
    I meant this. Are you ready?
    WE PAY THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!
    Now listen to the boss and STFU, look at the pictures and wait for the butthurt to subside.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    LMAO @ sneakers.

Page 7 of 8 First ... 345678 Last