Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: New and curious

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New and curious

Hi guys!

i'm thinking about joining the school called shaolin wing chun nam anh kung fu in montreal (http://www.shaolinwingchun.com) . I can't find anything on the internet about it (or maybe im just very stupid and i'm not ABLE to find anything)...
    So could someone tell me if the school is worth the price? (100$ per month)

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.Do they spar ?

a. What rule set ?
    b. What is the contact level?

2.Do they compete at any level in anything except forms?

3.What exactly is it they claim to be teaching? ( like : "self defense", "striking", "grappling", "everything" etc ... )

I am asking you because you are there and the information is not readily available on their site.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I think that they spar only at higher levels. I went to see a beginner class and it was only techniques and meditation and stretches.

2. Not that i know.

3. Well they claim to be teaching a way to develop a healthy and balanced body (endurance, strength, flexibility) and self-defence.

There are some vids you can watch on their kung fu if you haven't see them.
    YouTube - Shaolin Wing Chun Nam Anh Kung Fu - 5 Animals Demonstration

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This looks awful and expensive. The reason you cant find anything else besides them on the internet is because they took two random pop culture martial arts and mashed them together.

Although it all depends on what you are looking for in martial arts training, I would say that you should stay far far away from here. Even if you are looking for TMA there must be other options around for you.

Style
    Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    This looks awful and expensive. The reason you cant find anything else besides them on the internet is because they took two random pop culture martial arts and mashed them together.

Although it all depends on what you are looking for in martial arts training, I would say that you should stay far far away from here. Even if you are looking for TMA there must be other options around for you.
    Its not random, the styles do come from shaolin but shaolin is more of a performance art as the results of exercises designed to keep monks interested. Most of the fighting styles move away from shaolin demo training.

If the OP wants to do what they do in the demo and not much more beyond that (like use it for fighting) then have a ball.

Style
    Boxing, Rowing Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, if you want to learn an effective MA/combat sport, imo avoid this. Its expensive and looks sucky. If you want to hit things whilst wearing pyjamas, take kyokushin karate.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld supporting member
    Style
    Taai Si Ji Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    chainpunch has the correct.

soldiermedic25 & Stu-Jitsu are being meatheads and also have no fucking clue what things cost near you.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Style
    Wing Chun; Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hi GSPFTW i am a student of this school for almost a year and a half now. and i will try to answer BackFistMonkey question to the best of my abilities.

1) we do spar, after a student is proficient enough at using basic wing chun teqs of the school. we start with practicing the teqs with a partner and progeressivly move forward from there. when a student is proficient enough ( usually after a year and a half of training) they start full contact.

2)the school does not partipate in any competition, for the school focuses on self development, but sparing with others is not discouraged ;P

3)as a wing chun branch, we do focus on, but not limited, to striking. we also practice tripping and grappling, and generally, what you can use, if the situation calls for it.

i hope you find this information useful. the school is usually discriminated upon because it does not match mainstream wing chun. but from what i can tell, it is authentic and practical.

please do not hesitate to ask me any questions regarding.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any videos of their full contact sparring? They've got like 50 videos on youtube but its hard to figure out the titles.

Style
    Wing Chun; Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heres a demo of a practice fight
    and another against vietnams pecan silat champion
    they have 4 or five at least, i encourage you took keep looking

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last