Thread: Hello

Style
    Kali

Hello

Hi, new to the site and Martial arts in general. I've been aware of this site for a while (can't recall from where) and used the resources here and elsewhere to determine which Martial Art style I should try and go into. In the end, the resources I was following led me to Pekiti Tirsia Kali. I've only been doing it a few weeks and haven't gotten to the live stuff yet, but even at this point there's a focus on making it 'real.'

Style
    BJJ
    All good bullshido dojos seem to have a way of convincing their students their **** is the "real", and it'll work even with no live application in class. What "live" stuff is coming, and why hasn't it started already?

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    Welcome!

Out of interest, why'd you choose PTK specifically?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Welcome to Bullshido.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Style
    Kali
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Welcome!

Out of interest, why'd you choose PTK specifically?
    Well, I've been lurking this site off and on for a while now (mostly off) and I saw a sign for a BJJ school that had been recommended here a while back. "Alliance Jiu-Jitsu PA" I believe. Well I investigated and did some research, and while I came to conclusion that BJJ wasn't something that appealed to me, I also noticed that the school had Pekiti-Tirsia Kali and Dumpag. So I did more research and eventually decided on PTK.

Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post
    All good bullshido dojos seem to have a way of convincing their students their **** is the "real", and it'll work even with no live application in class. What "live" stuff is coming, and why hasn't it started already?
    The reason I say it's real is because I see the more advanced students doing more alive stuff (Class of about 4-6 people on average) and it probably hasn't really started yet because i'm not even a month in yet and we're still focusing on footwork/movement and some basic striking/blocking/stance stuff. Most of what I'm seeing them do (when I'm not focusing on what I'm trying to do) is disarms and groundwork right now.