Page 35 of 37 First ... 2531323334353637 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Now I randomly broke up the text... so it may not make sense. I haven't even read the post but it seems like there could be some gold to be mined in there.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing to analyze, as I was just sharing my experience. Nothing more than that.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kababayan View Post
    Great question. As a martial arts teacher for many years I would now debate the benefits of sparring after a certain rank, but that is for another conversation. I think a better term would be "scenario drilling" (and I am presuming that is what you are referring to.) There are many philosophies to seminars, depending on the audience. Some instructors like to come in and show random techniques, some gear the seminar around a certain principle and teach techniques and drills pertaining to the principle, and some do a combination of the two. Each have their own benefits, but now the conversation is veering away from the thread topic. Take care.
    No sir, it is very on topic. See, Luke Holloway has for years presented himself as a trainer for LEO and Military. In order to ethically do that, you must have the following: credentials and techniques that are medically, tactically and lawfully sound. So since credentials mean nothing to you, we will talk about techniques. Luke shows very flashy techniques that get mad props from the folks that get warm and fuzzies from jazz hand techniques. However, if you are unable (or refuse) to test these techniques in a live spar or scenario the jazz hands are simply that.

You said that you teach Krav Maga. I'll play along. Can you imagine a Krav Maga class where you did not leave with a new bruise on your forearm or shin? No you cant, because Krav Maga, despite all of it's bullshit and rhetoric, is an alive art. At least Krav Maga has some credibility in my book. Luke Holloway has none.

By the way, as to one of your previous comments: An orangutan could probably do pretty damn well in a bar fight too, but that doesn't mean he is suited to teach martial arts.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJohn View Post
    You said that you teach Krav Maga. I'll play along. Can you imagine a Krav Maga class where you did not leave with a new bruise on your forearm or shin? No you cant, because Krav Maga, despite all of it's bullshit and rhetoric, is an alive art. At least Krav Maga has some credibility in my book. Luke Holloway has none.
    Krav Maga has a serious issue with quality control and aliveness.

Most Krav is complete compliant bullshit, no better than the stuff Luke is teaching. Most Krav Maga is taught in TKD, Karate, and Kung Fu schools around the world as a add-on self defense component. As a matter of fact many of the self defense techniques I have seen showcased by Holloway and described by his students appear to look and sound exactly like Krav Maga.

As for bruises ... you can still be hurting each other and not practicing an alive martial art. Many schools with terrible technique and bogus credentials compliantly drill and hit hard, too hard in many experts opinions. Many Krav Maga and Systema classes fall victim to the idea that bruises and knots = equal quality training.

So while your criticism and comments are accurate the example you used is flawed.

Here is an excellent article by the man who coined "Aliveness".
    http://mattthornton.org/its-aliveness-still/

Excellent article I encourage all martial artists or people looking to start a martial art to read in completeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kababayan View Post
    There is nothing to analyze, as I was just sharing my experience. Nothing more than that.
    There is plenty to analyse. You have some to have some very strange ideas and promoted some silly concepts which make many question your honesty and/or your experience.

As you pointed out your claims are somewhat off topic so we will leave it at that unless you wish to continue, and in that case I can simply split the derail into a new thread.
    Last edited by Christmas Spirit; 5/23/2017 9:05am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post

Most Krav is complete compliant bullshit, no better than the stuff Luke is teaching. Most Krav Maga is taught in TKD, Karate, and Kung Fu schools around the world as a add-on self defense component. As a matter of fact many of the self defense techniques I have seen showcased by Holloway and described by his students appear to look and sound exactly like Krav Maga.

As for bruises ... you can still be hurting each other and not practicing an alive martial art. Many schools with terrible technique and bogus credentials compliantly drill and hit hard, too hard in many experts opinions. Many Krav Maga and Systema classes fall victim to the idea that bruises and knots = equal quality training.

So while your criticism and comments are accurate the example you used is flawed.

Excellent article I encourage all martial artists or people looking to start a martial art to read in completeness.

There is plenty to analyse. You have some to have some very strange ideas and promoted some silly concepts which make many question your honesty and/or your experience.

As you pointed out your claims are somewhat off topic so we will leave it at that unless you wish to continue, and in that case I can simply split the derail into a new thread.
    Fair point, no need for a lesson. I tried. You are correct in the article, I have read it in the past. Very good stuff.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJohn View Post
    Fair point, no need for a lesson. I tried. You are correct in the article, I have read it in the past. Very good stuff.
    It is a new article on the subject of Aliveness, Matt posted on May 16, 2017.
    Specifically on how to see through BS arts promoted by by big names and combat sport-esq demonstrations.

Oh and that second part of the earlier post was directed at Kababayan. I don't think the ideas you are promoting are all that odd at all.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a new article on the subject of Aliveness, Matt posted on May 16, 2017.
    Specifically on how to see through BS arts promoted by by big names and combat sport-esq demonstrations.

Oh and that second part of the earlier post was directed at Kababayan. I don't think the ideas you are promoting are all that odd at all.
    Nice, I did not realize this was a new article. I will enjoy it.

I think you're a punkin as well.

Style
    Barre Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Excellent article indeed.

The video from Wheeler's YouTube channel is comical with all the flopping around.

I clicked through to the channel page and saw this:

Now I'm confused. I thought Dog Brothers was the opposite of Bullshido. What is happening here?

Style
    BJJ/Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Time for a Bullshido Visit?

Quote Originally Posted by HarshMallow View Post

The video from Wheeler's YouTube channel is comical with all the flopping around.

Now I'm confused. I thought Dog Brothers was the opposite of Bullshido. What is happening here?
    Okay, he has every legit name in the biz singing he's praises. From Machado to Insanto and even the Dog Brothers! The only person who's not swallowed the blue pill is Mat Thornton, founder of SBGi (who hasn't paid him a visit). I think this guy has warranted himself a visit from someone from Bullshido. Any members in the area willing to him a visit? And write a report/review of his school and the experience. I've noticed one thing, he's very selectively managed to attract the big names, the ones our kind respect, yet non have said they're moving onto learn his system. They just say it works and that's it. I smell a pay off of some kind.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HarshMallow View Post

Well, they could be like Bill, and see some usefulness, or at least the utility of keeping an open mind, in just about everything related to physical activity. Which isn't a bad attitude to have.

Or, it could be what we might call "profit enhancement" or maybe mutual backscratching/professional courtesy.

Professional courtesy is a thing, and I'm sure Bill knows what I'm talking about, as do others.

For example, when I went to a couple of Dillman acolyte seminars decades ago, I never osoto gari'ed him (which would have been rather easy).

See, professional courtesy in action...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 35 of 37 First ... 2531323334353637 Last