Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    Jerry-Bashing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recommend some comics

Happy fangsgiving nerds.

I recently got into graphic novels. Don't ask why. So far I've read most of Alan Moore, all of "Queen and Country", half of Sandman, and 5 vols. of "100 Bullets". "From Hell" is probably the best book I've read this year. The guy in the comic store just recommended "Fables" and "Y", which were ok.

So, please recommend more stuff I'm going to like. Not big on superheroes.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Happy fangsgiving nerds.

I recently got into graphic novels. Don't ask why. So far I've read most of Alan Moore, all of "Queen and Country", half of Sandman, and 5 vols. of "100 Bullets". "From Hell" is probably the best book I've read this year. The guy in the comic store just recommended "Fables" and "Y", which were ok.

So, please recommend more stuff I'm going to like. Not big on superheroes.
    Watchmen, arguably one of the best graphic novels ever made. Especially if superheroes piss you off. Think of it as a superhero satire.

Maus, by Art Spiegelman, an anthropomorphic tale of Nazi Germany told from the perspective of Jewish mice and Nazi cats. Won the Pulitzer in 1992.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller is pretty good...I know you said no superheroes, but I've always considered Batman different than the standard flashy power/save the day kind of comic. Batman graphic novels tend to be of the dark twisted comedic variety, and Frank Miller made the best one imho.

By that measure, any Frank Miller novel will do nicely (Ronin, Sin City, 300), the last two of which were made into pretty awesome movies.

And of course, anything involving my favorite samurai rabbit.

Usagi Yoyimbo: Yokai is awesome.

Amazon.com: Usagi Yojimbo: Yokai (9781595823625): Stan Sakai: Books
    Last edited by Ice Hole; 11/25/2010 6:21pm at .

Style
    Bits and pieces
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Walking dead or Invincible, both written by Robert Kirkman and both easily the best ongoing comics out there today.

Style
    Watching from the stands
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fables is awesome, The Walking Dead is also very good(although very depressing).V for Vendetta is also worth a read and I'd also recommend the Wolverine "Origin" comic. Yes it's about a superhero but it is NOT a superhero comic.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of my head:

• "Batman: The Long Halloween", Loeb/Sale. The one superhero comic worth reading.
    • "Northlanders", ongoing series by Brian Wood. Basically, a series of noir tales in medieval times.
    • "Akira", by Katsuhiro Otomo. Manga series of epic cultural impact and a timeless classic. Don't like Manga? - You will, afterwards.

That apart from the classics, like all of Moore's work. Also recommendable: Will Eisner, "A contract with God", or, "Maus", by Art Spiegelman.

Style
    Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just got done reading Old Man Logan. was an entertaining post apocalyptic setting with all the heroes dead, Hulk and his inbred decendants rulling California, America carved up like a turkey between villians, and a traumatized older wolverine turned into a pacifist.

Walking Dead is a good recommend too

[email protected] going to new york and the Pym pass tunnel starts at fallen Giant man's mouth and exits through his anus.

Style
    Watching from the stands
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, Preacher is prety damn good too.

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deadpool is always a winner. Also Marvel Zombies. The whole series is entertaining and a great combination of super powered heros and flesh eating monsters.

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Boys. Takes a look at how superheroes would really likely be if there were superheroes. Might be to graphic for some, though.

Style
    EBMAS\52 Blocks
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DMZ
    The Boys
    The Walking Dead
    Ex Machina
    Y: The Last Man
    GI JOE:Operation Hiss

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last