View Poll Results: Should airports use full-body X-ray machines?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you can see that is a roll of quarters in my pocket.

9 18.75%
  • No, and keep your hands off my junk!

39 81.25%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TSA "security" procedures

If you've been paying any attention to the news for the last 3 weeks or so, you've probably heard of the growing unrest regarding the new Transportation Security Administration's airline passenger screening procedures.

You have two choices, now, when you want to board a commercial aircraft. 1) Submit to Advanced Imaging Technology (one of either backscatter X-Ray or millimeter wave scanners, both of which are capable of displaying the naked human form beneath clothing).
    2) Submit to enhanced pat-downs, a rigorous brushing of the screener's fingers over every inch of the human body.

Both of these methods are drawing increasing levels of criticism for being overly intrusive. You may either suffer the risk of having your naked form posted online, or suffer what some recipients are calling sexual assault.

I count myself among those that find these procedures offensive beyond the pale, and refuse to fly for the foreseeable future.

I just read this interesting statistic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun-Sentinel
    A recent CBS poll found that 81 percent of people questioned did not object to the AIT system.
    (article link)

I find that 81% number to be unbelievable, so I'm commissioning the non-official, completely unscientific Bullshido counterpart to that poll. I'm also looking forward to the accompanying discussion.

Style
    Boxing/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being in the military has completely removed any sense of shame I've once had. I really don't care about some poor TSA sap seeing my dong. I more feel bad that these bastards are going to be seeing thousands of obese Americans everyday as part of their life.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm seriously considering refusing if they want to put me through either and seeing if they can make that bullshit $10,000 fine stick in court against my very skilled attorney. it's bullshit and people need to stand up and say so.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, they messed up and waited to long. If they would have done this immediately, after 9/11, no one would be complaining. Let me add that you should blame the individual airports and not the TSA.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recognize that feeling, Emevas - because of my time in the Navy, my DNA, fingerprints, tattoos, and other identifying markings are part of a profile in some government building somewhere. So, for my personal self, the possibility of release or misuse of that information is something I have had to live with for a long time. It was a choice I made, and I'd make it again.

I don't care so much about showing off my crotch... What I care about are my rights that were supposed to be guarded by the Fourth Amendment - they are totally thrown out the window for what I perceive to be a false sense of security.

Now, I do care about the possibility of my wife's and children's naked images being available. I also don't want their genital areas exposed to anyone but themselves and their doctors (well, and me, in the case of my wife).

@IIF - you are alluding to the individual airports' ability to opt-out of the TSA, by employing instead private security (presumably at greater expense)?

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    @IIF - you are alluding to the individual airports' ability to opt-out of the TSA, by employing instead private security (presumably at greater expense)?
    At greater expense? I'd question that but, I'd have to dig up new facts.

Yes, they can opt out and quietly, with little fanfare, that's what is slowly happening. Next time you fly look at all of the charges on your ticket. One of those fees can go right back to the private security. You know, the ones that are apparently just as good as the TSA during undercover tests.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    At greater expense? I'd question that but, I'd have to dig up new facts.
    Yeah, Orlando announced this week that they will be bringing in a private for 2012, I think. San Francisco has apparently always been private. I don't know about the cost, either - I'm just making the assumption that a private firm costs the airport money, whereas the TSA might be providing the service gratis, as far as the airport is concerned. Obviously, taxpayers pay for the TSA, at least in part; I haven't been able to find if airports have to supplement the TSA budget.

Regardless, I don't have a level of comfort that a private firm is any better than the government, if they are performing the same security procedures.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    Yeah, Orlando announced this week that they will be bringing in a private for 2012, I think. San Francisco has apparently always been private. I don't know about the cost, either - I'm just making the assumption that a private firm costs the airport money, whereas the TSA might be providing the service gratis, as far as the airport is concerned. Obviously, taxpayers pay for the TSA, at least in part; I haven't been able to find if airports have to supplement the TSA budget.
    You pay a security fee every time you purchase a ticket. As you can see it is most likely going to be raised:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...tole-says.html

This is actually charged through the airlines the reasoning is that they are paying for the service to make the flights secure. That's one of the arguments used when places go to private screeners. The money they pay the government can go to a firm the airports and airlines control.
    IIRC correctly this is charged for each leg you travel per passenger.

Regardless, I don't have a level of comfort that a private firm is any better than the government, if they are performing the same security procedures.
    They don't and that's the rub. The private firms were replaced when 9/11 happened. Once they were in place it turned out TSA really wasn't better than what you had before. So, if you were comfortable before 9/11, you pretty much have the exact same quality now. Well, that's what they tell you now. Personally, with all of the upgrades and better training, I find it funny that they were failing at the same rate as the private screeners.

I'll see if I can dig up the progress reports as, they were public before I quit.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The TSA is insane

They (until very recently) pat down pilots

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...=news/national

And they confiscate nail clippers from heavily armed soldiers

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/1...r-tsa-outrage/

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TSA imagery has been making its way onto the Internet for years, too, making any claims that the data remains confidential and secured a joke.

Backscatter x-ray (the latest)

millimeter (microwave) wave scans:

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last