Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ and MT at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best IPOD Applications

What applications do you use? Which applications do you think are the best?

Please write down anything you like so other people (me) can also find and use those.But don't forget to mention if its free or not.

As applications:
    Mental Case - A very good flashcard software imo, it has a lot of libraries that you can download. I use it for studying chinese. (not free if i m not wrong)

lingopal - its a paid application but its worth it. It has phrases from ALOT of languages (including some insults too, not heavy ones though) with texts AND sounds.

Games:
    Civilization - (paid) good enough, but the games are so short
    Zenonia - (forgot) cool rpg game
    Angry birds - (both paid and free)
    GTA: CTW - (paid) awesome
    Street Fighter 4 (paid)
    Fifa 10 (paid)

I'll be getting "MMA by EA sports" soon, I ll tell you what i think about it

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    COMPLETELY SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION!!

I've created several timers for training:

Round Timer: boxing/round/sparring timer. Work/Warning/Rest cycles.

Interval Timer: Alternate between high and low intensity over the duration of the timer, followed by a rest.

UltraTimer: Fully programmable timer. If you can think of an interval configuration, you can create it.

UltraTrainer: UltraTimer with the addition of actions called out randomly throughout each interval (it coaches you while you train).

I also have other apps, but these are really the only ones that I'd plug here.

RoundTimer, IntervalTimer, and UltraTimer are also available on Android.

Link to more information is just below my tags.

Added bonus: I give away free promotional codes to Bullshido's Supporting Members, Sponsors, and Business Owners. Apple restricts the promo codes to the U.S. though :-(

Style
    BJJ and MT at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    COMPLETELY SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION!!

I've created several timers for training:

Round Timer: boxing/round/sparring timer. Work/Warning/Rest cycles.

Interval Timer: Alternate between high and low intensity over the duration of the timer, followed by a rest.

UltraTimer: Fully programmable timer. If you can think of an interval configuration, you can create it.

UltraTrainer: UltraTimer with the addition of actions called out randomly throughout each interval (it coaches you while you train).

I also have other apps, but these are really the only ones that I'd plug here.

RoundTimer, IntervalTimer, and UltraTimer are also available on Android.

Link to more information is just below my tags.

Added bonus: I give away free promotional codes to Bullshido's Supporting Members, Sponsors, and Business Owners. Apple restricts the promo codes to the U.S. though :-(
    Dude they are awesome, good job!

I'll go and get a cracked version right away! :icon_shak

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    Dude they are awesome, good job!
    Thanks! I wrote them for my physical therapy at first (2 back surgeries 3 years ago), but saw there was demand in the market for them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    I'll go and get a cracked version right away! :icon_shak

If people want to go through the hassle of finding and side-loading cracked IPA's instead of paying 99 cents or $1.99, they can have at. Maintaining the cracked versions is enough of a pain that it is almost kharmic :-)
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 11/16/2010 1:41am at .

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skippy, I'm looking at learning to write (apple) apps after Christmas. Is the SDK still free unless you want to publish to the App store? I looked to download it recently, and the only download I could find required a hefty developers sign-up fee.

I only want it to learn with at the moment. I don't mind paying if I manage to write a decent app.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    karate / JJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorami View Post
    Skippy, I'm looking at learning to write (apple) apps after Christmas. Is the SDK still free unless you want to publish to the App store? I looked to download it recently, and the only download I could find required a hefty developers sign-up fee.

I only want it to learn with at the moment. I don't mind paying if I manage to write a decent app.
    Hi Skippy,
    on the same theme as Ignorami, do you have any tips/advice for android coding. I've got as far as downloading the dev tools but haven't installed them yet. ( i keep getting side tracked by bullshido).
    Ironiclly, the first app i was looking to build was an interval trainer.

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorami View Post

It should be free to download and play around with. You won't be able to debug or run apps on your device because that requires a certificate which can only be obtained when you register as a paid developer.

Here is the link to the page to download the SDK:

http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

You'll want to "register for free today" and then should get access to the SDK. It does require Snow Leopard as an OS. Luckily, Apple is generous with OS updates and it is only $25 to update to the latest OS-X (in case you have Leopard or earlier).

From there, grab 2 different types of books:

- Objective C
    Either of these are great books:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321566157
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1430228326/

- iPhone SDK
    I'm a fan of the "Big Nerd Ranch" series
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321706242/
    Erica is a good read as well
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321659570/

Once you have a basic handle on Objective C, iPhone development is pretty straight forward if you stick to the Model-View-Controller structure. If you fight it, it will suck.

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzbevan View Post
    Hi Skippy,
    on the same theme as Ignorami, do you have any tips/advice for android coding. I've got as far as downloading the dev tools but haven't installed them yet. ( i keep getting side tracked by bullshido).
    Ironiclly, the first app i was looking to build was an interval trainer.
    Since you already have the SDK, I'd say get the same 2 types of books:

- Java specific
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471777102

- Android specific
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321741234
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470565527

From there, be sure you don't create an interval timer. HAH! Actually, timers are pretty straight-forward and will quickly introduce you to the nuances of either multi-threaded or event-based programming.

If you or ignorami want to start up a programming thread in the Boff Topic area, we can do that. I can try to answer questions that people might have and maybe we can get suggestions from other members for new apps or improvements to existing ones.

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite iPod/iPhone/iPad apps:

Games:

Word with Friends (I'm addicted, but I only play my wife. She whoops me.)
    Angry Birds (only the free version and only to kill a couple of minutes)
    Jumbline 2 (Very addictive, very frustrating)

Social:

Facebook (to share photos with close friends and family)
    Alien Blue (Reddit client)
    Echofon (Twitter client)

General:

Dish Network (access DVR remotely to record/delete/modify shows)
    Bump (copy files between devices)
    Fandango (look up movie times very quickly)
    IMDb (look up movie ratings and figure out who the hell that is on the screen)

Style
    BJJ and MT at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skippy, thats really useful information that you've shared here, thanks.

And a noob question,I used to study VB and some C++ in university, and i still play around with VB sometimes (still very amateurish though) do you think that information would be useful if i try to play around with coding for ipod applications? any resemblances?

By the way I just tried MMA by EA sports. I can say its pretty fun, its worth a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last