Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last
    Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido/TKD guy challenges Putin to a fight.

Wittes, who happens to be a martial arts aficionado himself, has chided Putin as a “fraud” and a “phony” and is trying to call his bluff by challenging the Russian strongman to a fight in any location where Putin lacks the authority to have him arrested.
    Wittes, a 47-year-old who holds black belts in taekwondo and aikido, many of Putin’s judo videos — and there are lots of them — are bunk. They typically start with some shots of Putin and his sparring partners warming up, then transition into Putin throwing or tackling an opponent. Wittes says Putin’s partners drop to the floor all too easily.

“At least in the videos I have seen, there are no committed attacks on Putin, and I see no evidence that his opponents are ever trying to get the better of him,” Wittes wrote on Lawfare. “The videos are demonstrations in which he shows off his masculine prowess with them taking what the Japanese call ukemi (defensive falls) for him.”

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c069dab08c3f

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Putin, round 1, via polonium.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Putin, round 1, via polonium.
    The polonium will be delivered in round 1, but the victory will come in round 10. Polonium takes a little while to have it's full effect.
    Last edited by SneakyGoblin; 7/18/2017 11:18am at . Reason: SPEELING

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Wittes says Putin’s partners drop to the floor all too easily.

'At least in the videos I have seen, there are no committed attacks on Putin, and I see no evidence that his opponents are ever trying to get the better of him,” Wittes wrote on Lawfare. “The videos are demonstrations in which he shows off his masculine prowess with them taking what the Japanese call ukemi (defensive falls) for him.' "

Reading this makes me feel conflicted.

There is no small amount of irony in an Aikidoka criticizing training partners taking deliberate falls for another. On the other hand, if an Aikidoka is making this accusation, it is possible that it really is THAT bad.

A quick internet search for videos really didn't really turn up anything interesting.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those guys throw themselves at the floor WRONG, guys!

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No seriously, president of country X (now not young anymore) introduces a judo tournament in his country with a demonstration, and he expects him to fight for real?!

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    No seriously, president of country X (now not young anymore) introduces a judo tournament in his country with a demonstration, and he expects him to fight for real?!
    I was thinking along these same general lines. Who the **** is going to be the one to throw Putin?

Although I did see him take a fall to the young lady he was paired up with, in the video associated with this article.

I wonder if there will be any evidence of her existence by the end of the week.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    I was thinking along these same general lines. Who the **** is going to be the one to throw Putin?

Although I did see him take a fall to the young lady he was paired up with, in the video associated with this article.

I wonder if there will be any evidence of her existence by the end of the week.
    I think I remember that in TAPPED OUT, the book on MMA by AMERICAN SHAOLIN writer Matthew Polly, Fedor is questioned about Putin's actual skill level and he answers... diplomatically.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I watch Putin do Judo, he looks like an old guy who knows how to do some Judo, but doesn't train/work out much if any anymore. Nothing spectacular, and you can tell he is kinda stiff and rusty.

I can empathize with that, for sure...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't personally know many older Judo guys who are able to get out there and throw down, especially the ones who were competitive when they were younger, much like Putin. It's hard on your body and the little injuries all add up eventually

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last