Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2
    Style
    vale tudo
    1

    whats happening to karate

    News Article Title
    whats happening to karate
    News Article Content
    Whats the point in kata???? I understand it can help develop memory co-ordination and self confidence ...make new friends hmmmm! some of the moves seem exagurated in the kata that arent effective, take for example Gedan Bari where its used to fend off leg kicks or maybe a wrist grab, when training in kata the movement is more exagurated..WHY? in a real senario you step off to the side then block or do this simutaneously. I never did much sparring in shotokan and got my ass battered at school but thats a another story for another forum. Karate came from okinowa and adapted from kung fu. Yet in the Katas there are no Parry's like in wing chun (Ving Tsun) such as huen sao. Wing chun and thai boxing has similarites. the point im trying to make in a confrontational situation and **** goes down god forbid! learning kata and learning to pull punches, your heal is on the ground and you punch from the hip youd get puched around in a boxing match, dont you realise that, that **** weill get you killed in the street. Isnt karate then becoming kickboxing if you start parrying or bobbing and weaving, how can you rely on kata pretending to fight invisible opponents, or has karate got two sides like tai chi the soft side and fighting side. exept the soft side in tai chi would work in a real situation...Maybe! After all karate seems cool, sounds cool and people will want to challege you or see your karate, peole now days are hooked on MMA.
    don't even get me started on tae kwon do. Tae kwon do sounds cool. all the effective arts have crap names such as boxing, muai thai, Mixed martial arts, if you said twenty years ago I do mixed martial arts youd sound like you were talking out your arse. The only time karate looked awesome was in the cobra kai dojo ( classic) I dont get the kata bit of karate!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beverly-hills-ninja[1].jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	17102  


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,358
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    4
    Oh penis,

    You came and you gave without taking,

    But I sent you away,

    Oh penis,

    You kissed me and kept me from shaking,

    And I need you today,

    Oh penis!

  3. #3
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,825
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Oh penis,

    You came and you gave without taking,

    But I sent you away,

    Oh penis,

    You kissed me and kept me from shaking,

    And I need you today,

    Oh penis!
    So, HM, you are now posting crap using sock puppet and then replying to yourself ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,358
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, HM, you are now posting crap using sock puppet and then replying to yourself ?
    Nope, that's how I got banned (Although it's not off the table for me to do that again, though).

    This looks like a real one. I convinced Phrost to do away with the probationary period for new members, which now means any asshole can just join and start rocketing off amazing posts like this without having a mod review them first. Expect A LOT more.

    Edit: For reference, go to the absolute last few pages of YMAS and look at all the threads there. Believe it or not, there was once a time when all the insane posts on here WEREN'T written by me. This used to be pretty run-of-the-mill.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 6/22/2016 7:02pm at .

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,825
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Nope, that's how I got banned (Although it's not off the table for me to do that again, though).

    This looks like a real one. I convinced Phrost to do away with the probationary period for new members, which now means any asshole can just join and start rocketing off amazing posts like this without having a mod review them first. Expect A LOT more.

    Edit: For reference, go to the absolute last few pages of YMAS and look at all the threads there. Believe it or not, there was once a time when all the insane posts on here WEREN'T written by me. This used to be pretty run-of-the-mill.
    Uh huh...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,358
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Are people going to be tentative to sandbag trolls/re-res because they expect them to actually be me?

  7. #7
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,754
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Uh huh...
    Technically he is not wrong there.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  8. #8
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,754
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Are people going to be tentative to sandbag trolls/re-res because they expect them to actually be me?
    Well you see this here
    Quote Originally Posted by Green T View Post
    News Article Title
    whats happening to karate
    News Article Content
    Whats the point in kata???? I understand it can help develop memory co-ordination and self confidence ...make new friends hmmmm! some of the moves seem exagurated in the kata that arent effective, take for example Gedan Bari where its used to fend off leg kicks or maybe a wrist grab, when training in kata the movement is more exagurated..WHY? in a real senario you step off to the side then block or do this simutaneously. I never did much sparring in shotokan and got my ass battered at school but thats a another story for another forum. Karate came from okinowa and adapted from kung fu. Yet in the Katas there are no Parry's like in wing chun (Ving Tsun) such as huen sao. Wing chun and thai boxing has similarites. the point im trying to make in a confrontational situation and **** goes down god forbid! learning kata and learning to pull punches, your heal is on the ground and you punch from the hip youd get puched around in a boxing match, dont you realise that, that **** weill get you killed in the street. Isnt karate then becoming kickboxing if you start parrying or bobbing and weaving, how can you rely on kata pretending to fight invisible opponents, or has karate got two sides like tai chi the soft side and fighting side. exept the soft side in tai chi would work in a real situation...Maybe! After all karate seems cool, sounds cool and people will want to challege you or see your karate, peole now days are hooked on MMA.
    don't even get me started on tae kwon do. Tae kwon do sounds cool. all the effective arts have crap names such as boxing, muai thai, Mixed martial arts, if you said twenty years ago I do mixed martial arts youd sound like you were talking out your arse. The only time karate looked awesome was in the cobra kai dojo ( classic) I dont get the kata bit of karate!
    is wut we here normally call a **** post. and them there **** posts usually get ignored cause ... like yeah dude ... we know ... Cobra Kai is the good guy and kata sucks and sparring and mutual benefit ... shut the **** up, ignore the **** posts looking for an echo chamber ...

    ...

    **** I just did it didn't I ...

    damn it ..
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,825
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Are people going to be tentative to sandbag trolls/re-res because they expect them to actually be me?
    You have trolled a lot here and elsewhere, and also written some funny stuff as well.

    So it's case by case to me.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #10
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,681
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    It's summer. School's out, and every year there's a whole slew of new teeny-bopper wannabes that drop turds all over the forums, like so many urban pigeons. It would be the perfect time for HM to troll, because the SNR is relatively low. But, he has an insatiable ego, so I actually expect him to not be engaging in questionable posting practices, at this time - it would be a waste of his talents.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in