Escrima/kali stick suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escrima/kali stick suggestions?

I have been training in kali for about 7 months now. So far I've been learning with aluminum knife and sword trainers.

Do any of you escrimadors have any suggestions for sites that have good quality rattan at a good price? I have seen the prices range from as low as $6.50 to $40 a stick.

Thanks

Originally posted by spamurai13 View Post
    I have been training in kali for about 7 months now. So far I've been learning with aluminum knife and sword trainers.

Do any of you escrimadors have any suggestions for sites that have good quality rattan at a good price? I have seen the prices range from as low as $6.50 to $40 a stick.

Thanks
    I go with Franks Cane & Rush Supply

You're looking at about $3 per stick before shipping.

A $40 stick had better be able to jump up and fight all by itself, at that price.

Comment

lol, $40 a stick is someone trying to get paid. its a stick for crying out loud

Comment

what are you looking to use these for? the dime-sized mickey mouse sticks will probably suit your purposes fine, and they're cheap enough.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the link.

For now I don't need the porsche of escrima sticks. I'm still quite new and need the sticks for light sparring and drills.

Comment

I use the sticks made by cold steel. They are damned near unbreakable and feel almost the same as a rattan. Little pricey but they are the last ones you will ever need to buy.

Comment

If quality is what you're after Dog Bros make damn good sticks. I bought one of the "Top Dog" sticks and a set of the "Crafty Dogs". Sticks are sold in pairs for around $30 and singly for less. Check out they're site. They last but they tend to be on the thicker side of the spectrum from what i've seen, but that does seem to help with the grip when wearin gloves.
              http://dogbrothers.com/store/index.php?cPath=29

If you don't care about quality so much then try ebay. I've found really crappy sticks there that broke quicly as well as some decent finds.
              http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=ratt...ali&_kw=sticks

When buying sticks it's good to find the number of nodes per stick, the more nodes the stronger the stick. Most good sticks have 3-4 nodes per 30"(give or take an inch) of stick-like my Dog Bros sticks. I found some crazy "tiger rattan" sticks by chance on ebay that have 7&8 nodes per stick at 26" of length, they're slightly crooked upon close examination but at a glance you can't tell. I couldn't find them with a cursory ebay search though.

Comment

Hey guys come by Kombat Instruments Ltd. at www.bloodsport.com. If I can't get you what you want I will point you to somebody who can.

Regards,

Nick
                [email protected]

Comment

I'm always tempted to get an order of Pappydog's ugly sticks. I've never cared how pretty or straight my sticks are, but I do like 'em tough.

Comment

Thanks. Stop by anytime

Pappydog

Comment

Originally posted by jspeedy View Post
                      If quality is what you're after Dog Bros make damn good sticks. I bought one of the "Top Dog" sticks and a set of the "Crafty Dogs". Sticks are sold in pairs for around $30 and singly for less. Check out they're site. They last but they tend to be on the thicker side of the spectrum from what i've seen, but that does seem to help with the grip when wearin gloves.
                      http://dogbrothers.com/store/index.php?cPath=29

If you don't care about quality so much then try ebay. I've found really crappy sticks there that broke quicly as well as some decent finds.
                      http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=ratt...ali&_kw=sticks

When buying sticks it's good to find the number of nodes per stick, the more nodes the stronger the stick. Most good sticks have 3-4 nodes per 30"(give or take an inch) of stick-like my Dog Bros sticks. I found some crazy "tiger rattan" sticks by chance on ebay that have 7&8 nodes per stick at 26" of length, they're slightly crooked upon close examination but at a glance you can't tell. I couldn't find them with a cursory ebay search though.
                      The Dog Brothers sticks are supplied by Kombat Instruments, Ltd. Thread poster pappydog is Pappy Dog, owner/operator of Kombat Instruments, Ltd. I highly recommend the KIL sticks - they are the only sticks I use to train/fight with (note link in my sig).

I've been buying KIL sticks exclusively since my first order near 10 years ago. Many of my sticks have lasted 5+ years of hard training. My 'go to' stick - "Poidog's Gathering Club" - has lasted 6 Gatherings of hard fights so far. It has broken bones, concussed through the heavy masks, survived heavy contact and broken lesser sticks.

I've seen Pappy's process in producing these sticks and you'll be hard pressed to find better craftsmanship or better customer service. All the Dog Brothers fight with KIL sticks, and most non DBs usually switch over upon exposure to his product. KIL sticks are available in a wide variety of lengths and thicknesses, you'll be able to find what you need. If you do need a custom size, just email Pappy and I'm sure he'll be able to work with you.

Just a heads up.

Aloha, Poi

Comment

I'm not a practitioner of FMA but I have been very pleased with my Crafty Dog sticks from the DB webstore. They have heft and are thicker than a lot of other sticks, which makes for powerful strikes and less slippage. You can also use them against wooden longsword wasters when sparring without worrying about them breaking. What more can you ask for?

Comment

I don't want to crap on anyone's livelihood here but my first pair from KIL shredded pretty fast in training (as in, the very first class I used them). My second pair lasted a couple of months which was much better but was still not what I would consider really good longevity from rattan sticks. Leslie Buck from Kali Gear (where I bought my first pair) was good enough to refund my price since they shredded so quickly despite my protests that it was not necessary for him to do so. Good guy and he has me as a customer for a long time after that kind of service. I have heard a great deal of good reviews on KIL sticks but mine have shredded faster than I would have expected. I probably just had some bad luck.

I feel bad providing a bad review when some of the guys who run the company are posting in this thread but I feel like I ought to provide an honest opinion based on my experiences. Sorry if i'm annoying you guys.

Having said that, I would check out Simon's sticks here at: http://www.escrimakaliarnis.com/ His sticks are by far the toughest sticks I have found and his prices are quite good. If you have a specific size, thickness, or need for your sticks, just shoot him an e-mail and he will respond in short order. Good guy all around. He also hangs out quite a bit on FMAtalk if you want to look for him there. In the interest of full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with this company or this product. In fact, I have never met the man other than on forums similar to this one.

Good luck finding good sticks to train with. Enjoy the FMA!
                          Last edited by jwinch2; 6/25/2010 7:00pm, .

Comment

I should add in all fairness that I would highly recommend the KIL sticks for fighting or sparring as they are perfect in size, weight, and balance. I have just had bad luck with them in practice I guess.

Comment

I have shopped at, and had good results with, products from these two vendors:

http://store.kaligear.com/categories...eatured&page=2

(Kali Gear also have sweet stick bags that make hauling all your training gear much easier)

http://www.bloodsport.com/

(I know someone mentioned KIL already, but I figured another shout would not hurt anything)

Another resource to check out is seminars in your area, a lot of times instructors bring spare sticks and training blades with them to sell to interested parties. I'm not saying it will always happen, or that the gear will be worth a shit, but it IS an option.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X