Gathering Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gathering Noob

I'm going to the the Dog Brothers open gathering this spring. By that time I'll be about year into my PTK training, so of course I'm gonna get a good beating. I need some advice though regarding how and what to train to keep from embarasssing myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Work on power. A lot.

Get some flight time in dealing with someone taking you down and hitting you with sticks.

Comment

Word. Have you ever gone to one of these things? My theory behind this cross-country trip for a beatdown is that I am bound to learn by quantum steps. Is that a fair assumption?

Comment

A few people from the austin crew have, and I've fought some people who have. There's a Houston gathering thingie too, which I will attend or die trying.

ARMA sparring is a similar ruleset though, so I have multiple sources to draw from.

Comment

Selfcritical hit the nail on the head as far as advice goes. As far as if or what you'll learn from the experience I think its an individual thing. I know I learned a lot my second gathering...the first being just a blur.

Comment

What is the overall vibe like at one of these? Do I have to have my own fencing mask and so on? Do you just walk up to people and ask them to dance? Sorry for the flurry of questions, I'm just completely new to this.

Comment

The overall vibe is relaxed with an underbelly of tension that seems to ease as the day progresses. You need to bring your own equipment (i.e. fencing mask, hockey gloves, stick, etc.) . As far as setting up fights you just walk up to people and ask. Nothing wrong with asking questions.

Comment

Great. How did you prepare for this? How long had you been training before you went to your first Gathering.

Comment

I didn't really prepare, I just showed up. I had been training for about a year and a half when I went to my first gathering, but you couldn't have told since none of my training came out in my fights.

Comment

Did you do any daga while you were there?

Comment

Sure but its with practice knives of course.

Comment

Of course. Did they have the shock knives when you went?

Comment

Yeah the first time, can't remember if they had them the second time. The problem with shock knives is they burn through batteries something fierce, so you may be sparring with someone and go to light'em up and the damn knife is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by padraig View Post
                            I'm going to the the Dog Brothers open gathering this spring. By that time I'll be about year into my PTK training, so of course I'm gonna get a good beating. I need some advice though regarding how and what to train to keep from embarasssing myself. Any advice would be appreciated.
                            Not to be a killjoy, but the spring Gathering is actually a closed door Gathering - you have to be a member of the tribe to attend. The open Gathering is not until extremely late summer/early fall. At least that is my understanding.

Aloha, Poi

PS - Stickhead, when we gonna see you again, man?!

Comment

Originally posted by poidog View Post
                              Not to be a killjoy, but the spring Gathering is actually a closed door Gathering - you have to be a member of the tribe to attend. The open Gathering is not until extremely late summer/early fall. At least that is my understanding.

Aloha, Poi

PS - Stickhead, when we gonna see you again, man?!
                              Yeah I just realized that. That's good, gives me some extra time to get my sorry act together. I guess they will post the open gathering info. as we get closer to the date?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X