replied

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Patcherson
    replied
    Originally posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Patcherson, you obviously don't know how this forum works. No problem.

Firstly, the named title-topic gets discussed.

Secondly, it morphs into another subject (this process can be repeated several times, often winding up with bikini-shots).

Now we had, it is true, begun with the fascinating topic of bouncing while playing tag. However, we then introduced a subject far more worthy and relevant to anything martial than bouncing while playing tag will ever be: namely, the Energizer Bunny.

Stay on topic, Patcherson.
    lol xD

Leave a comment:

• Vieux Normand
    replied
    Patcherson, you obviously don't know how this forum works. No problem.

Firstly, the named title-topic gets discussed.

Secondly, it morphs into another subject (this process can be repeated several times, often winding up with bikini-shots).

Now we had, it is true, begun with the fascinating topic of bouncing while playing tag. However, we then introduced a subject far more worthy and relevant to anything martial than bouncing while playing tag will ever be: namely, the Energizer Bunny.

Stay on topic, Patcherson.

Leave a comment:

• Patcherson
    replied
    ya a front leg migari means you kinda jump your backleg up to your front

Leave a comment:

• Kintanon
    replied
    Heels off of the ground. Only time I went airborn is if I was throwing an aerial kick of some kind, or lunging sidekicks, those involve a brief moment of airborn time.

Leave a comment:

• Patcherson
    replied
    did you ever leave the ground or was it just heels off the ground?

Leave a comment:

• Kintanon
    replied
    Originally posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    You glided slowly forward while thumping on a marching-band bass drum?

How did the opposition react?
    WITH FEEAAARR!!!

Srsly though, I bounced a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Vieux Normand
    replied
    Originally posted by Kintanon View Post
    When I WAS point sparring though, I bounced like the fucking energizer bunny.
    You glided slowly forward while thumping on a marching-band bass drum?

How did the opposition react?

Leave a comment:

• maofas
    replied
    Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post
    They were point fighters. I know that for sure. Just what do you think my argument is? And do you mean just in this thread or in the 2 or 3 threads where foxguitar takes on all comers he feels have slighted shotokan? I came into this thread asking if fox' position was really that point karate is great because it eventually might train an attribute or two that's useful in real fighting. I'm not going after shotokan in particular but any type or low contact start stop point fighting.

My lack of shotokan experience really has nothing to do with anything in this thread.
    Dude...the title of the thread is "Bouncing in Shotokan".

As far as the point-fighting thing goes, it seems while arguing with Fox you've wandered into a sidetopic you don't know much about. I might agree with "pointfighting sucks" (that is your thesis right?), but you're not scoring any points (teehee) by supporting your argument with faulty evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Kintanon
    replied
    I have a lot of high level point sparring experience. I was ranked 8th nationally in the ITC (A relatively small organization, but with plenty of people), I competed in the ITF World Cup, and I have a big ass room full of stupid TKD trophies from 1994-1998. I can point spar the shit ouf of people.
    Point sparring is stupid. It creates a million bad habits that take forever to break, and it's incredibly inefficient. You are hundreds of times better off training in an art that does something more useful.

When I WAS point sparring though, I bounced like the fucking energizer bunny.

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied
    Originally posted by Patcherson View Post
    this isn't about any other style of karate or about kickboxing or about contact sparring
    it's about bouncing in shotokan karate please keep on topic thanks

osu
    On-Topic:

Bouncing in Shotokan detracts from training for real-life conflict (jissen karate). While it may have limited uses within ippon kumite, it is not a beneficial technique, and should be avoid in favor of more fluid footwork, as exemplified better in other, related karate systems that provide training more beneficial for jissen karate.

So, Patcherson, are you saying that Shotokan is not jissen karate?

Leave a comment:

• 1point2
    replied
    Originally posted by Patcherson View Post
    this isn't about any other style of karate or about kickboxing or about contact sparring

osu
    You don't get to dictate terms of the thread like that, bub. We're close enough for rock n roll.

See my last 2 posts: bouncing in Shotokan is an over-adaptation to the rules (minimaxing, if you play D&D). A better method for footwork is found in continuous-rules, hard-contact combat sports.

Leave a comment:

• Patcherson
    replied

osu

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied
    Fox, unfortunately the burden of proof is on you. You've made the claim, so you have to prove that WKF pointsparring is an optimal training format for combat.

Further, just because Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, and Bill Wallace were once pointfighters does not validate point fighting.

These men left pointfighting because they felt it was not a good venue for testing their skills, and created full contact karate/American kickboxing.

Further, when they trained for American kickboxing, they did not train in the same manner as they did for point fighting, and did not perform in the same manner.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X