Bouncing in shotokan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    Bullshit. I've read here many times the opinion that there is nothing wrong with things like Wushu forms competitions and point sparring as long as people are honest with themselves and others about what they're doing and what it means.

People are only really against that sort of thing if they claim it teaches proper fighting skills or self defence.

As for opinions that it's a bit stupid, people are entitled to opinions like that. I for example think synchronised swimming is a bit dumb. I acknowledge the skill of the people doing it, but I don't have to like it, just as people here don't have to like point sparring.

Ok what to you constitute as real fighting ,
    kyokushin as great as it is you cant punch to the face ,
    UFC or MMA there are prohibited techniques as well no eye goughes unles you are cro-cop , So whats real except for real . Thats my point , Everything has its limitations , Its not real if it has rules . .

and alot of top fighters are excellent fighters that have speed power focus , they can take a hit and give a hit.
    I dont really see why you are so closed minded to just seeing things in your your own little prism.

And what you consider to be facts are based on nothing more than your own personal experiences which is as everyones notion of fact are based on their own personal experience.

Comment

Look at what the most respected styles have in common, despite all their rule differences they have at least two things in common: they're all full contact and they're all continuous.

Point sparring, even if it's full contact, isn't continuous.

I'll let people more knowledgeable than me take it from here.

EDIT: I'll also add that it isn't necessarily about what techniques are or aren't allowed, I'll take Boxing over Hapkido any day for example, but more about the overall format of the fighting, i.e. full contact and continuous.

Comment

Originally posted by foxguitar View Post
        Ok what to you constitute as real fighting ,
        kyokushin as great as it is you cant punch to the face ,
        UFC or MMA there are prohibited techniques as well no eye goughes unles you are cro-cop , So whats real except for real . Thats my point , Everything has its limitations , Its not real if it has rules . .

and alot of top fighters are excellent fighters that have speed power focus , they can take a hit and give a hit.
        I dont really see why you are so closed minded to just seeing things in your your own little prism.

And what you consider to be facts are based on nothing more than your own personal experiences which is as everyones notion of fact are based on their own personal experience.
        Oh fuck me - The rules are limiting my style! UFC fighters cant eye gouge or do nut shots! Sports vs Street! - Any other ridiculous argument you want to add to your above?

Comment

Originally posted by Patcherson View Post
          yet again on this forum a child tries to derail a convo
          No problem, child.

Derails such as yours have happened before, and will doubtless occur again.

Consider yourself forgiven...now run along and play.

Comment

Originally posted by honesty View Post
            Oh fuck me - The rules are limiting my style! UFC fighters cant eye gouge or do nut shots! Sports vs Street! - Any other ridiculous argument you want to add to your above?

I think your missing my pioint , Im not saying that sport sucks. Im a sport Karate devotee , WKF rules . Others on here are saying point karate sucks and is laughable Im arguing saying that no matter what sport UFC TKD karate there are rules.
            So read all my posts before you jump in half cocked.

There is no way to use the real for the vast majority of people unless you are a combat soldier and even then there are rules of engagement as same a LEO .

So again Im saying I think point karate is worthwhile some disagree.

Comment

Look at what the most respected styles have in common, despite all their rule differences they have at least two things in common: they're all full contact and they're all continuous.

Point sparring, even if it's full contact, isn't continuous.

I'll let people more knowledgeable than me take it from here.

EDIT: I'll also add that it isn't necessarily about what techniques are or aren't allowed, I'll take Boxing over Hapkido any day for example, but more about the overall format of the fighting, i.e. full contact and continuous.

So then according to your standards olympic style taekwondo fits thats its full contact and continous.

All Im trying to say is each has its own plusses and minuses.

Well its good you take boxing but ill stick to my point karate ,
              and to be a good fighter no matter what style alot goes into it

Comment

So then according to your standards olympic style taekwondo fits thats its full contact and continous.

All Im trying to say is each has its own plusses and minuses.

Well its good you take boxing but ill stick to my point karate ,
                and to be a good fighter no matter what style alot goes into it
                If it is properly full contact and continuous then I will indeed hold it in higher regard than Shotokan point sparring, although they're a bit let down because of their choice to not cover their face, which anyone with half a brain will tell you is senseless.

Comment

If it is properly full contact and continuous then I will indeed hold it in higher regard than Shotokan point sparring, although they're a bit let down because of their choice to not cover their face, which anyone with half a brain will tell you is senseless.
                  Ok you are entitled to your opinion , and thats fine. And its not just Shotokan who fights the World Karare Federation rules , most of the major Japanese styles fight that way.

I like the WKF way it is a 8 ippon match . kicking techniques to the head are awarded 3 points , kicks to the body 2 , punchs 1 point , sweeps are allowed and rapidly followed up with a technique 3 points.

But not everyone has to like it , and thats cool.

Yes its not ground and pound like UFC but for me it works well.

Comment

Look at it this way:

Point sparring: Run in, hit your opponent, stop briefly and start again. No takedowns or grappling.

MMA: All ranges of combat covered, strikes, elbows, knees, takedowns, ground and pound, submissions. No eye gouges, but try and eye gouge a superior boxer with his guard up and jabbing you in the face, or grappler shooting in for the single leg.

You can't pretend these are in the same league.

Comment

Originally posted by Artis Ferox View Post
                      Look at it this way:

Point sparring: Run in, hit your opponent, stop briefly and start again. No takedowns or grappling.

MMA: All ranges of combat covered, strikes, elbows, knees, takedowns, ground and pound, submissions. No eye gouges, but try and eye gouge a superior boxer with his guard up and jabbing you in the face, or grappler shooting in for the single leg.

You can't pretend these are in the same league.
                      Ok if thats true then MMA is the way and screw all others including Kyokushin no face punches or ground and pound there.

First off If you ever watch top rated WKF , points are hard to come by and the vast majority of the better fighters are scoring with lightning fast kicks to the head and also with sweep and take down followed up by a hand technique

Years ago if you had a good front kick and reverse punch you would win the vast majority of your matches not true anymore

now some of these guys train in Judo to improve their sweeps and take downs and even train with Taekwondo instructors to improve their kicking ability.

Sure I love watching UFC but UFC point Karate Taekwondo , Boxing all have their good points and their minuses.

Comment

i think bouncing is one of those things that is effective you can do it right, and just straight up awful if you do it wrong

Comment

Sure I love watching UFC but UFC point Karate Taekwondo , Boxing all have their good points and their minuses.
                          Is this it? Is that all your point is; even the shittiest training method has something to offer?
                          This is an imperfect world there are no perfect training methods. So the fact that something has a benefit or two if you search long and hard doesn't really mean much. I mean you could say soccer is good fight training because it enhances your cardio. And video games improve hand eye coordination and reaction time. But they won't make you a fighter and there are better ways to train those attributes.

Comment

Funny thing is, there are activities out there which--while not claiming the goal of making anyone a fighter--possess the live aspect, real hard-hitting, positioning, general conditioning and so on to make a person far more fight-ready than any non-alive theoretical systems: rugby, oz-rules and gaelic football are just a few. No pattycake there.

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                              Remind me how that's relevant?
                              as in your a fucktard
                              Last edited by Patcherson; 8/10/2009 7:05pm, .

Comment

I've done a little point sparring and pretty much suck at it. I wonder if it hurts my skill.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X