Bouncing in shotokan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncing in shotokan

Whats your opinions of the way during kumite shotokan practitioners bounce slightly on their toes

do you think its a good technique or a bad habit ?

no "my x style of karate is better than y style" thanks

I don't like bouncing. I feel that if I am bouncing then I'm expending a lot of energy unnecessarily and I lose some reaction time to my opponents movement because I have to come down from the bounce before I can move.

Some people have trained in it and like it, so I think it depends on the individual and what they are comfortable doing.

Comment

that's true i notice its harder to read someone's moves if they bounce.

Comment

Not that I do karate, but bouncing is just one more thing your opponent can use to time your shots. It's a bit easier to stay on the balls of your feet and springy if you've got some kind of motion going, though if you're just bouncing back and forth you're just needlessly stalling and your bounces can be timed and used against you. It's better to be moving with some kind of offensive strategy in mind, in my opinion.

Comment

I guess if you are able to throw punches while bouncing then you are good to go. Personally I make sure that I have a solid base to transfer as much energy as possible into my punches. So, if I bounce around then you will know right before I throw punches because I plant my feet. I'm not the best kicker in the world so all my kicks are from a proper base. So the same thing goes.

When I stop bouncing, you know something is coming. So I never bounce. That's just me.

Comment

I find that bouncing can sometimes really telegraph a move to your opponent. like diesel said , I think it would be in your best interest to try to be knowledgeable of your body reactions and movements when you're transitioning bouncing to not bouncing for a strike or something.

Comment

Have you ever been kicked in the solar plexus while you were on the rise of a bounce? Added lift. Have you ever been liver-punched while you were coming down from a jump kick? Added force.

Don't bounce. Don't jump.

Comment

I agree with the consensus here. It creates predictability and I don't really know what the benefits are. Seems to be a common TKD thing that I associate with total suckage.

Comment

You bounce, you're steppin' into trampogon territory:

YouTube - The Best Trampoline Wrestling Of All Time 2

You have been warned.

Comment

That type of movement works from a certain distance to help cover your entry step letting you shoot in to close from further away without telegraphing. They play more planted when closer.

It's not rocket science but it's not something you can look at on YT and fuck around with for 2s in your living room to decide if it's shit or not. You need actual instruction and drilling time.

Like any other technique, posture, whatever there's got to be a reason why you're using it, you're not just pulling it out for shits and giggles. Just stay planted like a normal person if you don't have a reason.

P.S. Also the TKD bounce isn't the same as the Shotokan bounce and the Shotokan bounce isn't really the Shotokan bounce as it's own people are like 50-50 on hating/liking it.

Comment

well i dont have to plant to throw a punch or a kick as i plant while im throwing it (hard to explain i know) and they only get the message i'v stopped bouncing after im 1/2 way through the punch.
                      when i bounce i never leave the ground bar when im doing a fake punch .
                      it's not a gimmic (well not to me at least) the other thing helpful about bouncing is if your opponent is circling you , you can keep form when he normaly has to cross legs or open up while moving. sometimes you can catch them with a round to the chest if they decide to move

Comment

I dont know if its indicative of Shotokan stylists or the european method used by alot of the higher caliber World Karate Federation competitors , And not all I dont think are Shotokan .

Compare it to what Ive seen of JKA where as I recall not that much bouncing .

Comment

watch this fox

YouTube - Kumite Shotokan Karate SKIF - Kanazawa Vs Murakami

two very important people in shotokan karate especially kanazawa because his father founded SKI (Shotokan Karate Ireland)

they are bouncing as you can see and are clearly not european but yes karate changes from town to town

Comment

Adults--playing tag.

JFckin'Kristos, what has Karate become?

Comment

Originally posted by Vieux Normand View Post
                              Adults--playing tag.

JFckin'Kristos, what has Karate become?
                              gtfo this form

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X