Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=Patcherson;2188083]
    Originally posted by foxguitar View Post
    I agree no matter what is said its always put down for instance DerAuslander108 actually agreeing katas work then ridicling shotokan karate because its not "his way of karate"

and 1point2 who's never even done karate trying to say something about an art he has NO EXPERIENCE in then calling me ignorant for not agreeing with something he based on pure bullshit
    Have you said anything of worth yet on this site? No.

See the instructor tag? See "ex-Isshinryu" in my style field? They go together. I have three times your karate experience, bub. Shut the fuck up.

Comment

[quote=1point2;2189111]
      Originally posted by Patcherson View Post

Have you said anything of worth yet on this site? No.

See the instructor tag? See "ex-Isshinryu" in my style field? They go together. I have three times your karate experience, bub. Shut the fuck up.

Yeah just cause you said so :pottytrai

Comment

Still waiting for proof of kata's effectiveness. More convincing than, "I believe this. My senseis believe this. Why don't you believe us? Your disbelief is pissing me off"

Comment

Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post
          Still waiting for proof of kata's effectiveness. More convincing than, "I believe this. My senseis believe this. Why don't you believe us? Your disbelief is pissing me off"

good Im glad Im pissing you off , now be a good boy and PISS OFF.

what is your claim to fame , what experience do you come to the table ,

the proof is based on my experiences . If you dont like it TOUGH SHIT :toothy2:

Comment

Originally posted by Keeze View Post
            Does anyone here train in this style? Just curious to see if anyone else here does it, and hopefully I can learn more about this style from some of you who have done it for a while.
            Thanks.
            Yes, been doing it for about 2 years. I enjoy it, it's not the fastest way of learning a martial art but i love it, i train with an open friendly and sociable group. It has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Originally posted by Keeze View Post
            My big question is what level of sparring do you eventually get to do? Do you ever do completely free sparring? Full contact? Etc.?
            Eventually you will do free sparring, and the contact is medum level. But it's a long wait for you, I'm afraid. Brown belt and upwards really. At the mo I'm doing jiyu ippon kumite (one step free sparring).

Where are you training? Who's the instructor? It can make a lot of difference. If you PM me I'll try to answer any questions in an unbiased way, after all, if you enjoy the group and the art, go for it but if you're looking for something faster paced you'd probably be better off elsewhere.

Comment

We should all be clear that holding off on sparring, or rather, not sparring with reasonable rules for a year or several years, is a proven way to not teach ability. In addition, one-steps are an inferior method of training.

But otherwise, thanks mrgosh.

Fox, shut up. You're wrong and we've proved it in a dozen threads.
              Last edited by 1point2; 8/10/2009 6:34am, .

Comment

fox your reading comprehension sucks. I was stating that our disbelief of you is pissing you off. And why do you only feel the need to prove yourself if I've drunk the same kool aid as you have?

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                  We should all be clear that holding off on sparring, or rather, not sparring with reasonable rules for a year or several years, is a proven way to not teach ability. In addition, one-steps are an inferior method of training.

But otherwise, thanks mrgosh.

Fox, shut up. You're wrong and we've proved it in a dozen threads.

To be quite honest you havent proven anything , what have proven ,

that you are narrow minded that you spent years in a style you now hate ,

That you just think your right and everybody else is wrong ,

so forget it , I dont buy your bulloney:dink:

The one thing I do agree is holding off on sparring till you are a brown belt IMHO is silly , I think after you maybe learn a few basic techniques you should be introduced to sparring.

First with one steps then gradually to free sparring but it shouldnt take till brown belt.

Comment

Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post

well I believe them over a non entity like you :blob1:

Comment

To be quite honest you havent proven anything , what have proven ,

that you are narrow minded that you spent years in a style you now hate ,

so forget it , I dont buy your bulloney:dink:

The one thing I do agree is holding off on sparring till you are a brown belt IMHO is silly , I think after you maybe learn a few basic techniques you should be introduced to sparring.

First with one steps then gradually to free sparring but it shouldnt take till brown belt.
                      My karate experience matters for one thing: refuting a moron who said I had no karate experience. I am not relying on my karate years to make me an authority on the validity of kata. That's because to do so would be stupid.

I'm glad we agree on the necessity of getting to sparring, but starting with one-steps is a very poor way to "progress" to sparring. They're contrived and teach very little.

PS. Please point me to evidence of me "hating" karate, or Isshinryu in particular. I believe you will not find any.

Comment

that you are narrow minded

Fellas stick to the topic before, the thread gets shut down like the last one please.

Comment

My karate experience matters for one thing: refuting a moron who said I had no karate experience. I am not relying on my karate years to make me an authority on the validity of kata. That's because to do so would be stupid.

I'm glad we agree on the necessity of getting to sparring, but starting with one-steps is a very poor way to "progress" to sparring. They're contrived and teach very little.

PS. Please point me to evidence of me "hating" karate, or Isshinryu in particular. I believe you will not find any.

Ok lets stop with all the other meaningless stuff and like IIF says stay on topic ,

The only reason I suggested that a person start with one steps is the old theory take baby steps before you can walk , walk before you can run

I dont mean one step till brown belt maybe up and till you master a few techniques than get into free sparring. Im a firm believer the way you learn to swim is jump into the pool but if a person jumps into a pool at 10 feet if never having having swam the person will probably drown.

I think the one steps are just good for beginners with no little or no experience to get them used to timing and distance and give them confidence and thats it.

nothing teaches fighting like fighting

So actually you and I agree on alot more then we argue about , so lets a truce and stop sniping . Its ok to disagree .

Comment

One steps do not teach timing and distancing. Both are contrived in the drill and therefore the student does not learn those skills from the drill.

Comment

One steps do not teach timing and distancing. Both are contrived in the drill and therefore the student does not learn those skills from the drill.

Years ago there was a Sensei that the old timers will remember John Slocum . ask Maofas about him well if a new person entered Slocums Dojos , He would have the newb "attack him" or a high belt and then proceed to wipe the tatami up with the newb , If you came back the next day after getting your ass kicked He would then accept you. That was his weeding out process.

Well If karate was still taught that way , we would karate killers but there would be a very small minority because the average person wouldnt last a minute.

Most people have never had a real fight in their life and if they have now you are asking them to fight in a way foreign to them .

But if you think allowing a new person to free spar is ok , Im sure you can do it , but it has to be with someone who is higher rank or more experienced who can at least has good control . otherwise you have two uncontrolled people just flailing .

I used to hate sparring the white and yellow belts , because they didnt have proper focus or control and while you held back hitting them they didnt have the ability to control their techniques and you would wind up getting nicked up while trying to go easy.

But I do agree that you have to spar as soon as possible . And Im not a lover of one steps either but I do feel they help transition a person .

Comment

This statement still stands, regardless of John Slocum. One-steps might be something to do other than sparring, but they don't teach timing or distancing. They really aren't useful for much except introducing a technique, and they do that poorly.

I agree, throwing noobs in to spar with each other, or to go wild, is often unproductive. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying teach the noobs technique with real timing, real distancing, real footwork, and a smidgen of resistance, and the results will be five times that of one-steps.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X