X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foxguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
    We should all be clear that holding off on sparring, or rather, not sparring with reasonable rules for a year or several years, is a proven way to not teach ability. In addition, one-steps are an inferior method of training.

But otherwise, thanks mrgosh.

Fox, shut up. You're wrong and we've proved it in a dozen threads.

To be quite honest you havent proven anything , what have proven ,

that you are narrow minded that you spent years in a style you now hate ,

That you just think your right and everybody else is wrong ,

so forget it , I dont buy your bulloney:dink:

The one thing I do agree is holding off on sparring till you are a brown belt IMHO is silly , I think after you maybe learn a few basic techniques you should be introduced to sparring.

First with one steps then gradually to free sparring but it shouldnt take till brown belt.

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    fox your reading comprehension sucks. I was stating that our disbelief of you is pissing you off. And why do you only feel the need to prove yourself if I've drunk the same kool aid as you have?

Leave a comment:

• 1point2
    replied
    We should all be clear that holding off on sparring, or rather, not sparring with reasonable rules for a year or several years, is a proven way to not teach ability. In addition, one-steps are an inferior method of training.

But otherwise, thanks mrgosh.

Fox, shut up. You're wrong and we've proved it in a dozen threads.
    Last edited by 1point2; 8/10/2009 6:34am, .

Leave a comment:

• mrgoshthereturn
    replied
    Originally posted by Keeze View Post
    Does anyone here train in this style? Just curious to see if anyone else here does it, and hopefully I can learn more about this style from some of you who have done it for a while.
    Thanks.
    Yes, been doing it for about 2 years. I enjoy it, it's not the fastest way of learning a martial art but i love it, i train with an open friendly and sociable group. It has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Originally posted by Keeze View Post
    My big question is what level of sparring do you eventually get to do? Do you ever do completely free sparring? Full contact? Etc.?
    Eventually you will do free sparring, and the contact is medum level. But it's a long wait for you, I'm afraid. Brown belt and upwards really. At the mo I'm doing jiyu ippon kumite (one step free sparring).

Where are you training? Who's the instructor? It can make a lot of difference. If you PM me I'll try to answer any questions in an unbiased way, after all, if you enjoy the group and the art, go for it but if you're looking for something faster paced you'd probably be better off elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• foxguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post
    Still waiting for proof of kata's effectiveness. More convincing than, "I believe this. My senseis believe this. Why don't you believe us? Your disbelief is pissing me off"

good Im glad Im pissing you off , now be a good boy and PISS OFF.

what is your claim to fame , what experience do you come to the table ,

the proof is based on my experiences . If you dont like it TOUGH SHIT :toothy2:

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    Still waiting for proof of kata's effectiveness. More convincing than, "I believe this. My senseis believe this. Why don't you believe us? Your disbelief is pissing me off"

Leave a comment:

• foxguitar
    replied
    [quote=1point2;2189111]
    Originally posted by Patcherson View Post

Have you said anything of worth yet on this site? No.

See the instructor tag? See "ex-Isshinryu" in my style field? They go together. I have three times your karate experience, bub. Shut the fuck up.

Yeah just cause you said so :pottytrai

Leave a comment:

• 1point2
    replied
    [quote=Patcherson;2188083]
    Originally posted by foxguitar View Post
    I agree no matter what is said its always put down for instance DerAuslander108 actually agreeing katas work then ridicling shotokan karate because its not "his way of karate"

and 1point2 who's never even done karate trying to say something about an art he has NO EXPERIENCE in then calling me ignorant for not agreeing with something he based on pure bullshit
    Have you said anything of worth yet on this site? No.

See the instructor tag? See "ex-Isshinryu" in my style field? They go together. I have three times your karate experience, bub. Shut the fuck up.

Leave a comment:

• foxguitar
    replied
    [quote=bitchslapper;2188369][quote=foxguitar;2188325]Well who is to decide what the facts are , My idea of facts and the myriad of great instructors Ive had agree with me and actually besides my own experience gave me the reasons why I feel the way I do. ,

well we could discuss that whenever you present something resembling a fact. But basically anything that starts with "I feel" or "In my opinion" etc isn't. Any of your experiences are (unsubstantiatable) facts. You could start with those.

I haven't presented any.

Well the fact is in Shotokan Karate there are like Mao stated the 3 Ks

and all are treated equally Kata , Kihon and Kumite

Yes there are Shotokan Dojos that over empathize the Kata and the Kihon to the disadvantage of the kumite , There is no denying that.

I have a feeling that 1point is so anti Karate because his particular school did mostly Kata without alot of "live training'

I had a Shotokan dojo run by a well respected Japanese Karate Ka whose techniques were flawless but the school was too Kata crazy for me , we did hours of Kihon , line drill after line drill , Kata , every one from the Taikyokus to all the Heians , tekki shodan to sandan , bassai Dai bassai sho Jion , jitte on up , the higher ranks did all the lower katas right up to their levels. alot of one step sparring , But very little free or jiyu kumite , So after a while I yearned for more sparring and livelier training. So I can relate to the live training principles Im not against that at all.

But to this day my Kihon and stances imho very strong

In my present dojo which IMHO is the best Ive had gone to , We do alot of live training , The instructors were world class competitors who trained like olympians in competition karate , yes its WKF rules but I do Karate so thats how we fight. street defense is totally different ball of wax

And my senseis are very pro Kata , they feel strong Kata helps along with the other areas become a better karate fighter .

Like I said this thread is about Shotokan

And IMHO in WKF competition there is no such thing as a pure Shotokan stylist for example alot of Shotokan people are learning kata of other styles to compete and even some are learning Taekwondo kicking to help score the 3 point attacks to the head and face area.

So the whole point is everything evolves , It doesnt stay the same.

Leave a comment:

• foxguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by maofas View Post
    Fuck kata, fuck it, fuck it. I'm sick of hearing about it, it's only 1/3 of the Ks but it takes up 4/5 of the discussions.

On a side note: I did wake up at 7:30 AM, make coffee and do Bassai Dai before/while/during wake-and-baking.

there ya go OSU

Leave a comment:

• bassai
    replied
    Ok , to approach this argument from a different direction , is the genera opinion that Shotokan kata is beyond repair ?
    If not what would be the appropriate steps to fix them ?

Leave a comment:

• maofas
    replied
    Fuck kata, fuck it, fuck it. I'm sick of hearing about it, it's only 1/3 of the Ks but it takes up 4/5 of the discussions.

On a side note: I did wake up at 7:30 AM, make coffee and do Bassai Dai before/while/during wake-and-baking.

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    [quote=foxguitar;2188325]Well who is to decide what the facts are , My idea of facts and the myriad of great instructors Ive had agree with me and actually besides my own experience gave me the reasons why I feel the way I do. , [quote]

well we could discuss that whenever you present something resembling a fact. But basically anything that starts with "I feel" or "In my opinion" etc isn't. Any of your experiences are (unsubstantiatable) facts. You could start with those.

Originally posted by foxguitar View Post
    Where are your facts coming from ?
    I haven't presented any.

Leave a comment:

• foxguitar
    replied
    When will you get it? No one gives a shit about opinion. Try bringing some facts and see what happens.

Go read his posting history. He started in a kata centric karate ryu.

Well who is to decide what the facts are , My idea of facts and the myriad of great instructors Ive had agree with me and actually besides my own experience gave me the reasons why I feel the way I do. ,

Where are your facts coming from ?

And you know what like Der says if Im happy with my training what do you care .And if Im doing Shotokan or that matter any Karate , then Kata is a key element , Maybe in BJJ or muay Thai there is no kata but its too different types of arts. And in Karate Kata is there for a reason in at least my mind.

So Like I said this thread is about Shotokan and Shotokan while not as Kata intensive as say Shito Ryu , Has Kata that is designed to teach you how to move and have combinations and get you to do numerous techniques in rapid succession , If that doesnt besides the "alive training " and Kumite help you to be a better fighter than I think you are not training right.

I

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied

Go read his posting history. He started in a kata centric karate ryu.
    Or just read his style field.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X