X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus
    replied
    There's 2 comments that refer to the topic:

"No, these guys are not monks. They are students of the monks. Teenage boys who studied kickboxing at the Shaolin Temple."

"No this tournament took place in the Shaolin village the day after the Zheng Zhou tournament in September of 1993. Only Chinese students from local schools were allowed to enter..."

So it seems to me that they aren't actually monks (which is what the topic is about) but they do run kickboxing or sanda programs at the temple.

Something to remember is that there's a ton of martial arts schools located around the temple that aren't actually part of the temple. So we have to be careful we aren't confusing the two.

Leave a comment:

• MrBadGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hui_Xiu
    How many trees are in a small forest? Must be more than 50 but less than 200?
    I guess you could say...you're missing the trees for the forest?!?!?!?

Get it, cause it's a proverb, and you're literally missing the amount of trees for the forest.

Leave a comment:

• NJM
    replied
    Originally posted by Virus
    Doesn't actually say anything about them being trained at the Shaolin Temple. The comp might have just been hosted there.
    Matt says in the comments that it was people from the shaolin village. I'll try to confirm how many were monks from the official temple.

Leave a comment:

• dwkfym
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Off
    Good lord, you link to a video that says in the description on youtube "I heard this was choreographed" (and it is), and use it as evidence for fighting prowess? Get better evidence or stop yelling at others for lack of evidence!
    Hey I remember watching this clip when it was originally aired in Korea. I was a kid.

Leave a comment:

• Eddie Hardon
    replied
    Well, I live near Shaolin Temple UK and went to an Open Day some 3 years ago. I thought it was Ok and holistic/wholistic and there's nothing wrong with that.

Out back was a boxing ring. They do produce San Da fighters and compete.

Something for everyone?
    PS I've commented on this line before but the OP may not be aware of the Search function.

Leave a comment:

• MastaFighta
    replied
    The Shaolin Temple over 1,000 or so years ago probably did have genuine fighters. I would imagine a good portion of the monks that joined the temple after it's establishment knew Martial Arts. Especially since the Martial Arts (even at that time) were a big part of Chinese culture. So, in their spare time when not chanting sutras or doing chores, they probably compared notes and showed off their styles to one another.

As for modern day Shaolin, I have no idea.

Of course, all of that is just what I believe.

Leave a comment:

• TheMightyMcClaw
    replied
    Having read American Shaolin, the book being advertised in that video, the Shaolin temple does seem to have a respectable San Da program in it. The story tells of a young man in the early 1990's who went to the Shaolin temple, trained in traditional kung fu forms for a couple months, and then realized it wasn't really helping him fight so he started doing San Da instead.
    From my personal encounters with wushu athletes in general, it doesn't seem like there are many out there who do *just* performance wushu, and not also San Da, TKD, TCMA, whathaveyou.

Leave a comment:

• E-Van
    replied
    All I know is I have only sparred against one guy who trained in Kung Fu. He kept his hands low in some wierd 'I wish I was Jet Li' stance and then he actualy had the balls to 'beckon' me a la Neo in the Matrix. After that sparring sesion I have not seen him back in our dojo since.

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied
    I need to gong sau a Shaolin monk...for the honor of my temple.

Leave a comment:

• Madgrenade
    replied
    I think it is one of those mysteries that cannot be solved by scientific formulae, only by a suitably philosopic koan.

"If great fighter knocks you out in a forest,
    does he even exist?"

Leave a comment:

• Scott Larson
    replied
    I think if we could get a formula for temple:forest ratio, then we could really solve this mystery.

Leave a comment:

• Madgrenade
    replied
    Originally by Hui_Xiu
    Interesting question. I would probably judge it based on the the size relative to temple, rather than the number of trees, which presents its own difficulties (what is a tree? Do saplings count?).

The forest, IMHO, should be large enough so that the temple cannot be seen from the outside, yet small enough so that, having entered the forest, the temple cannot be avoided.

If your first sight is of an elderly gentleman diligently sweeping the temple steps to the rythmic sound of people being thrashed with bundles of bamboo, while the horns of bulls litter the ground, then you're probably in the right place.

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Off

Also I'm not really grandmaster, it's a joke. No one on this site would call themselves grandmaster and be serious.
    No one that considers themselves a member would. Shaolin Monks traveling troop and the supposed tourist guys are performers.

Oh and the ones that the tourists pay an ungodly amount to train with are performers.

Leave a comment:

• G-Off
    replied
    Originally posted by YeEr0s_K1nG
    ok listen here fuck wit,
    oh no im not manly enough to do something, why dont u stop being an internet hero, wow look at me swp grandmaster
    well u know what fuck you. this site aint about proving whose more manlier coz u no wat i dont care if u rekon ur king shit, think ur mad coz u can pick on me, when i was saying something to someone, ur just a troublemaker and for a grandmaster, you do seem rather agro, and hostile.
    were not dealign with kung fu as a whole, but what do the monks do shao lin. what is shaolin. wait isnt it kung fu. so seriously just stfu (shut the fuck up)

and 1 more thing ur arguing over quality, but instead of trying to disprove the shit im saying why dont you actually look and u will see but then again ur another blind fucken gook
    This is not even worth responding to, so instead I'll talk about the topic at hand. The argument is NOT about Kung Fu. Sanda is a pretty good indication that Kung Fu can be useful, and there is a professional fighter usernamed Omega on bullshido who does Kung Fu. The argument was about Shaolin monks as a representative for the style and whether or not they're as good as popular culture would have you believe.

Also I'm not really grandmaster, it's a joke. No one on this site would call themselves grandmaster and be serious. And I didn't know "gook" was a slur against half-irish half-jewish ignorant white boys. Learn something new every day.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Larson
    replied

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X