Shaolin monks: Genuine fighters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaolin monks: Genuine fighters?

while lurking these boards, I've heard alot of bad things about the effectiveness of kung fu.

according to history and Hollywood, Shaolin monks where legendary fighters believed to almost be beyond human, but was this really true? Are they proof that Kung Fu works if you train hard enough? Or is it all just fairy tales?

Thank you for participating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPb0po2jzfg

Comment

All the monks are in excellent shape. This alone gives them an upper hand against your average unskilled punk.

The performance wushu monks? They probably can't fight. The monks that train SanDa can fight, we know this.

That leaves the ever-dwindling traditional monks. From what I read in American Shaolin, many are capable fighters.

That's just my input.

Comment

They also learn TKD, MT, and last I heard they are introducing MMA and BJJ. Which is what the Shaolin temple legends say it was for, a repository of information trade.

This is a good thing.

I'll also add that Sanda is a recent (good) addition but, there is a lag. This is what caused the horrible reputation.

Comment

Move to CMA forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Fleshtro
            while lurking these boards, I've heard alot of bad things about the effectiveness of kung fu.

according to history and Hollywood, Shaolin monks where legendary fighters believed to almost be beyond human, but was this really true? Are they proof that Kung Fu works if you train hard enough? Or is it all just fairy tales?

Thank you for participating...
            No, there's no evidence. It's bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
              Ignore the bot.

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
                :qright5:

clearly someone of such ignorance would state this, unless of course he backs this quote up with perhaps preliminary research on the topic.

Shaolin Monks are spastics. Well the good ones anyway. They are crazy. Watch this video.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XG366AHzI2U

and also if you still are unsure visit the Shaolin Kung Fu academy website, and im sure having a browse there will answer all your questions

Comment

Originally posted by YeEr0s_K1nG
                  :qright5:

clearly someone of such ignorance would state this, unless of course he backs this quote up with perhaps preliminary research on the topic.

Shaolin Monks are spastics. Well the good ones anyway. They are crazy. Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG366AHzI2U

and also if you still are unsure visit the Shaolin Kung Fu academy website, and im sure having a browse there will answer all your questions
                  Good lord, you link to a video that says in the description on youtube "I heard this was choreographed" (and it is), and use it as evidence for fighting prowess? Get better evidence or stop yelling at others for lack of evidence!

Comment

Originally posted by KenshinBt10
                    Good lord, you link to a video that says in the description on youtube "I heard this was choreographed" (and it is), and use it as evidence for fighting prowess? Get better evidence or stop yelling at others for lack of evidence!
                    umm ok. if you actually look on the list of videos theres about 5 of them, that all say shaolin vs karate black belt. i solely chose the one saying shaolin versus taekwon do because the filming is clearer to see due to its poor quality so y dont you just stfu and gtfo

Comment

so y dont you just stfu and gtfo
                      Please use some more internet lingo to prove you know what you're talking about. I'm not sure I believe you're tough and manly yet. Let's go through this step by step.

umm ok. if you actually look on the list of videos theres about 5 of them, that all say shaolin vs karate black belt.
                      List of videos? You mean the list of related videos on the side on youtube? I found 2 copies of the exact same choreographed fight scene under different names, one actual kung fu movie scene starring Gordon Liu, a crappy (and also choreographed) home movie of "karate" vs. "kung-fu" which contained neither and a bunch of non-fighting, non-sparring kung fu demonstrations. The sole fight with kung fu in it in the entire list was this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0CIy9ZZEQE which is already in the videos section of the forum, and is irrelevant, since we are talking about Shaolin Monks, not Kung Fu as a whole.

i solely chose the one saying shaolin versus taekwon do because the filming is clearer to see due to its poor quality
                      This. Makes. NO. Sense. Easier to see due to it's poor quality? So, when you need to see something far away do you take OFF the binoculars you use to see things 5 feet in front of you so you can see them better in poor quality?
                      Last edited by G-Off; 4/21/2008 1:04am, .

Comment

Shaolin monastaries has introduced SanDa?

That's impressive. I had no idea they had such progressive ideas about Martialism. Is this an individual temple thing or is it more of a top-down change?

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake
                          ...and last I heard they are introducing MMA and BJJ.
                          Where'd you hear this from? Any more info?

Shaolin BJJ will be teh new d3adly.

Comment

Are you talking about the original gang from China's early history?

If so, we'll never know. I don't buy the myth about some guy walking across the Himalayas from India to teach the monks exercises after which he tore off his eyelids.

I find much more believable the stories that wanted criminals/anti govt types hid out there and likely practiced their skills.

But we'll never know.

Comment

ok listen here fuck wit,
                              oh no im not manly enough to do something, why dont u stop being an internet hero, wow look at me swp grandmaster
                              well u know what fuck you. this site aint about proving whose more manlier coz u no wat i dont care if u rekon ur king shit, think ur mad coz u can pick on me, when i was saying something to someone, ur just a troublemaker and for a grandmaster, you do seem rather agro, and hostile.
                              were not dealign with kung fu as a whole, but what do the monks do shao lin. what is shaolin. wait isnt it kung fu. so seriously just stfu (shut the fuck up)

and 1 more thing ur arguing over quality, but instead of trying to disprove the shit im saying why dont you actually look and u will see but then again ur another blind fucken gook

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X