X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    There's no such thing as a block.
    I use the term "block" and "blocking hand" because of what the technique is called. Should I have used "non-chambered hand"?

I use the "low block" in two ways. In sparring against a mid-section front or side kick. The "blocking" hand redirects the kick off centerline. From there you can continue the motion to knock them off balance, "catch" the leg, or simply just deflect it as you move in for a counter.

The other way I have played around with is someone grabbed your wrist in a cross-side grab. (So their right hand grabs your right hand). The grabbed hand works the weak-link release as the "blocking hand" strikes your opponent's grabbing forearm.

So I suppose in that light I don't use the technique as a "block" in the sense that I am simply trying to stop an attack.

In any case, what is a "proper" low "block"?

I'll run a search on "forms" to see if I can find the thread Omega. If not, does anyone remember the name of the thread, or if it is in this forum of the website?

Comment

I think I found the thread; "Forms are Stupid: The YMAS Thread".

Comment

Originally posted by Shu2jack View Post
        I use the term "block" and "blocking hand" because of what the technique is called. Should I have used "non-chambered hand"?

I use the "low block" in two ways. In sparring against a mid-section front or side kick. The "blocking" hand redirects the kick off centerline. From there you can continue the motion to knock them off balance, "catch" the leg, or simply just deflect it as you move in for a counter.

The other way I have played around with is someone grabbed your wrist in a cross-side grab. (So their right hand grabs your right hand). The grabbed hand works the weak-link release as the "blocking hand" strikes your opponent's grabbing forearm.

So I suppose in that light I don't use the technique as a "block" in the sense that I am simply trying to stop an attack.

In any case, what is a "proper" low "block"?

I'll run a search on "forms" to see if I can find the thread Omega. If not, does anyone remember the name of the thread, or if it is in this forum of the website?
        I keep telling you that picture was not a low block.

YouTube- Chon-Ji

Those aren't low blocks.

Comment

MABS Cull: A Forms discussion - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Comment

They look more like hammerfists done to a low section to me.

Watching the form it seems like he breaks the form up too much. Do a block, stop. Step forward. and punch.

IMO it would make more sense to turn, "block" the incoming attack and in the same series of movement move forward to put your bodyweight into the punch counter. I would imagine that if students did those movements in partner drills, then moved in the form as they did in the drills it would make the form much more fluid.

Comment

YouTube- Palgwe 1 - Grand Master Park

Even though they say it here, not a low block.

Comment

YouTube- Songahm 1 Teaching Tutorial ATA White Belt
                Not a low block and the high block demoed and the instructors are both wrong.

Comment

sigh...do i really have to do this again?
                  Last edited by DerAuslander; 5/25/2010 11:24pm, .

Comment

Ok, I know the ATA white belt form.

Why is the high block and low block wrong? (Besides the fact that the girl's blocks - hell all of her techniques - were poorly executed

Why are the blocks in Palgwe 1 not low blocks?

Have I had too much Moutain Dew and too little sleep? Am I over thinking this?

Are they not low blocks in the sense that there is no block? Are they not low blocks from a technical standpoint? Can you show me an example of what is a low block?

Comment

Originally posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
                      sigh...do i really have to do this again?
                      You could just point me in the direction of where you have already explained it.

I suppose I am confused.

I learn a technique (BJJ or TKD). I practice the technique to get the mechanics down without resistance and either against pads or with a compliant partner. I practice the technique(s) in a drill with a partner giving me progressive resistance. Then I add it into my personal sparring game.

When I go through my form I am going through the movements and techniques I am using in sparring. So in my (brainwashed?) mind when I do a low block, then step forward and execute a lunge punch in a form I'm thinking about knocking my opponent's kick off centerline, then stepping into him and cracking him in the face. How is it not a low block? How am I doing the "block" wrong?

Comment

This is why a lot of TKD forms are bullshit Shu. I'm going to sleep will discuss later.

Comment

I would greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Shu2jack View Post
                            I would greatly appreciate it!
                            TKD has been convoluted with the inability to look back at the original source and find out why the technique is done a specific way. This is done because of complacency, ego, and ignorance.

The most recent example of this is the break down of the Tae geuk forms. They wanted to seperate themselves so much from any Japanese influence that anything resembling the old Japanese karate that modern TKD is based off of is being eliminated no matter how absurd the technique looks.

Basic kinesiology shows how the body is designed to move and the bottom line is the structure of those "blocks" will fail if they are used with the intention shown. The basic move that is shown as a low block where you step in is actually a guard or a parry depending upon intent.

For example look at the 13 second mark on this video:
                            YouTube- KARATE SHOTOKAN JKA Kumite

ATA teaches this unconsciously but most schools miss emphasizing this when it comes to forms, at least as far as I've seen. When you have 1 "master" who doesn't really understand the movements teach another who is only known to learn blindly, then after 3 generation of blind leading the blind what would you expect to learn?

Comment

I think I am starting to understand what you are getting at.

So in the Palgwe 1 video you posted.....every time you turn and execute a "block" you are actually turning towards an opponent as you move into a guard position, or you are turning to parry an incoming attack, then moving in to strike. Am I starting to get the right idea?

I was taught that when executing any kind of block you are not trying to meet force against force. It is more of a deflection or parry. Is that why you are telling me they are not low blocks - because I am actually deflecting something?

Comment

Do you have any books or websites you recommend looking into so I could learn more about this subject?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X