Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATA FAQ: No more ATA threads to be posted after this:

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Balrog View Post
    I haven't responded to it because your question is meaningless.
    bwahahahahhahaah, ever here of cognitive dissonance? How about sour grapes? You are the reason why the ATA gets so much shit around here. Congratulations and thank you for proving the point. Too bad to, we actually had some decent ATA posters come here and then you had to go and mess up all their effort.:XXjester:

    Comment


      Originally posted by Balrog View Post
      Personally, I disagree with awarding Black Belt rank to children that age, based on the development rate of children, and I won't do it in my school. But I can't speak for other instructors.
      Thanks for answering my questions.

      Link to your school?

      Comment


        Originally posted by Balrog View Post
        Oh, I'm wrong....you have spoken and that decides all.

        My god, the level of arrogance you people have is incredible.
        Interesting:
        Actions have consequences. In this case, it was a minor consequence: the student has to repeat a testing cycle. As opposed to the student spends 10 days in a hospital - or worse. Hopefully, the individual will learn from it and progress..
        My point was that if they couldn't handle that low level of stress and perform a simple form, how the heck are they going to perform under major stress with somebody thumping on them? You seem to have totally missed that point.
        Thank you for supporting my point of view.

        One of these days, you may learn that ad hominem attacks like this are an open admission that what was said or posted was accurate and correct; you can't refute what was said so you respond with a personal attack against whomever said it.

        It's also a sterling example of rudeness and total lack of courtesy, both of which indicate defective areas in someone's training that need to be fixed, and it's just one more example of how far this site has degenerated into nothing but a name-calling. dick-waving troll hangout.
        I haven't responded to it because your question is meaningless.
        Nah, I'll just sit here laughing at you instead. Get back to me when you actually have 32 years experience instead of 1 year repeated 32 times.
        Just like you, I provided nothing to back my assertions and I was equally dismissive of your opinion. I provided zero subtext, context, or information regarding what I found wrong.

        Okay now what was your comment again?
        Oh yeah:
        you have spoken and that decides all.
        Now, I did it on purpose to prove a point. What is your excuse?


        So, you being to dense to see I'm following your line of reasoning makes me arrogant?

        Well, we know what that definitively states about you and your actions.

        Oh and while we are casting aspersions on other people and their character, you want to explain why you have two accounts?

        Comment


          Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
          Interesting:







          Just like you, I provided nothing to back my assertions and I was equally dismissive of your opinion. I provided zero subtext, context, or information regarding what I found wrong.

          Okay now what was your comment again?
          Oh yeah:


          Now, I did it on purpose to prove a point. What is your excuse?


          So, you being to dense to see I'm following your line of reasoning makes me arrogant?

          Well, we know what that definitively states about you and your actions.

          Oh and while we are casting aspersions on other people and their character, you want to explain why you have two accounts?
          You forgot the part where I was the OP and put up a FAQ given by an ATA instructor.

          Comment


            No, you are the guy who has 1 year of experience multiplied 32 times. Obviously, your two ranks in different orgs and the ATA FAQ mean nothing.

            Comment


              To address certain points;

              I do fail students who can not perform their form. Whether or not an individual agrees that forms have any use in a fighting art, forms are a part of TKD's training methods. Failure to demonstrate knowledge of the form, or failure to perform it to high enough standard, should result in a failure.

              If forms are a part of the style and black belt represents a certain level of mastery of the style, you had better know the forms. Now SHOULD forms be part of a fighting art? Different topic of discussion.


              I don't think that doing your forms under the withering gaze of a testing panel will help you fight better. I think that learning to perform while under pressure is an important skill.

              I've seen students who fight very well in the school, but fail apart at touranments. All of a sudden there will be a "winner" and "loser" and they are out of their comfort zone. They shut down a little. I feel that testings give students that "win or lose" situation and force them to deal with that pressure, cope with it, focus, and do what needs to be done to succeed.

              Comment


                Forms are a part of TKD's training methods, but TKD's training methods for forms is completely bullshit.

                Your forms are bullshit, your training methods are bullshit, your ideas about training are uneducated and ignorant.

                If you want to advocate bullshit, go ahead.

                Just expect to be called on it.

                Comment


                  Forms are a part of TKD's training methods, but TKD's training methods for forms is completely bullshit.

                  Your forms are bullshit, your training methods are bullshit, your ideas about training are uneducated and ignorant.

                  If you want to advocate bullshit, go ahead.

                  Just expect to be called on it.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
                    bwahahahahhahaah, ever here of cognitive dissonance? How about sour grapes? You are the reason why the ATA gets so much shit around here. Congratulations and thank you for proving the point. Too bad to, we actually had some decent ATA posters come here and then you had to go and mess up all their effort.:XXjester:
                    What Omega said and my two cents...

                    Balrog, you won't answer my questions because you can't and your claims are bullshit. You can't provide substantial proof to back up your claims of quality of martial instructions ATA as whole provide to students who can cut it in ATA to give them necessary experience, skills, and tools.

                    Otherwise we'd see some presence of ATA in proving grounds. But we don't even see some presence. We see almost nil...out of 300,000 students.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
                      Forms are a part of TKD's training methods, but TKD's training methods for forms is completely bullshit.

                      Your forms are bullshit, your training methods are bullshit, your ideas about training are uneducated and ignorant.

                      If you want to advocate bullshit, go ahead.

                      Just expect to be called on it.
                      Der you are saying TKD's training methods for forms is BS, and that TKD's forms are bullshit. I'm honestly interested in your thoughts on that subject.

                      What is the purpose of "forms"? What are they designed to help with?

                      Then why are TKD's forms bullshit? What makes a good form?

                      Why are TKD's training methods for forms BS? What are good training methods for forms?

                      I wrote the ATA FAQ and I don't train in the ATA anymore. I still do TKD, but I am also currently training in BJJ and have spent some time post-ATA doing kickboxing and muay thai. I have my own thoughts on the value of form, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Shu2jack View Post
                        Der you are saying TKD's training methods for forms is BS, and that TKD's forms are bullshit. I'm honestly interested in your thoughts on that subject.

                        What is the purpose of "forms"? What are they designed to help with?

                        Then why are TKD's forms bullshit? What makes a good form?

                        Why are TKD's training methods for forms BS? What are good training methods for forms?

                        I wrote the ATA FAQ and I don't train in the ATA anymore. I still do TKD, but I am also currently training in BJJ and have spent some time post-ATA doing kickboxing and muay thai. I have my own thoughts on the value of form, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
                        I like forms and I agree with Der. Most TKD have no idea what there forms are designed for. I love watching TKD practitioners go into this move and then say it's a low block. I tell them no then I tell them what it is and it takes me the rest of class to prove it to them. Not to mention that they don't know how to do low blocks correctly anyway.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                          Oh and while we are casting aspersions on other people and their character, you want to explain why you have two accounts?
                          As far as I know, I only have the one that I'm logged in as. What's the second account? It's possible that I created a second account, but I don't remember doing so.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
                            I like forms and I agree with Der. Most TKD have no idea what there forms are designed for. I love watching TKD practitioners go into this move and then say it's a low block. I tell them no then I tell them what it is and it takes me the rest of class to prove it to them. Not to mention that they don't know how to do low blocks correctly anyway.
                            Is there a thread where Der, you, or someone else goes into depth about the positive value of forms and what they are designed for? And how TKD gets it wrong? I want to learn more on this subject.

                            In the picture you posted it looks to me that the blocking hand is too high up - his fist on the same level of his belt knot. As I was taught the fist of my blocking hand is more like groin level. The block stops over your thigh and - depending on the size of your fists - there is about enough room for two of your fist lengths.

                            Comment


                              There's no such thing as a block.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Shu2jack View Post
                                Is there a thread where Der, you, or someone else goes into depth about the positive value of forms and what they are designed for? And how TKD gets it wrong? I want to learn more on this subject.

                                In the picture you posted it looks to me that the blocking hand is too high up - his fist on the same level of his belt knot. As I was taught the fist of my blocking hand is more like groin level. The block stops over your thigh and - depending on the size of your fists - there is about enough room for two of your fist lengths.
                                Yeah, you've been taught very wrong. As for what Der said there is only one true block.

                                There was one thread where everybody was ranting on the uselessness of forms. Then I showed a video and trumped everybody. I like forms, they are a useful tool but that's all they are, it's when one tries to create something that's not there that things become ridiculous.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X