Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you haven't noticed, khf, many have tried the ATA cirriculum, and have come to the conclusion that they are out for your money, and/or have low-quality training.

Remember, martial arts don't have to only be about fighting, but first and foremost, fighting/self-defense is what they were designed for. If you lose the fighting aspect in the martial arts, it's better off for you to put your kids in the boy/girl scouts.

A least they don't require you to spend a truck-load of money to come to meetings or go on camp-outs, but I see no good reason to spend hundreds of dollars a month on ATA training to make my kids better citizens and to teach them life lessons when I can do all that by myself, as a parent should.

Now I may not be a parent, but at least I can recognize that life lessons and what-not are a responsibility of the parent, not the TKD teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by khf
      See Karate Kid movie. Try a school. You may enjoy it
      On the .00000000000001% chance that the above isn't un peu de trollage--and the author one day becomes ashamed enough to try deleting it--here it is, indelible in its purity.

Comment

Originally posted by khf
        ATA is quality instruction for Adults and Kids. They make people better citizens while teaching life lessions and some self defense. It is also lots of fun.

The ATA is teaching kids to standup for themselves . They are not breeding fighters or Coba Kai's. See Karate Kid movie. Try a school. You may enjoy it
        You're an idiot.

Comment

I sent all his idiotic posts here if anybody's curious:

All my ATA posts have been banished to hell. - No BS Martial Arts

Comment

Thanks for putting all of my posts in one place. In your attempt to try to make me look like an idiot (which is impossible since I an not an idiot) you are making me famous and keeping my ATA posts alive. Thanks Omega

Comment

Originally posted by khf
              Thanks for putting all of my posts in one place. In your attempt to try to make me look like an idiot (which is impossible since I an not an idiot) you are making me famous and keeping my ATA posts alive. Thanks Omega
              Your posts were sent to an area of the forum where few like to go and won't even be picked up on a search engine. If you would like to post on this thread act your age and actually contribute.

I don't have to prove your an idiot you're doing quite well all by yourself.
              Last edited by Omega; 11/12/2008 6:05pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by khf
                (which is impossible since I an not an idiot)
                The lulz is strong in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by khf

To think it only took you two months to respond to Omega's post with such an overwhelmingly witty comment as this one, which clearly proves you are in no way an idiot.....

Comment

Omega. all you do is bash and insult me. I guess it makes you feel good. It doesn't bother me. Anyway I would like to contribute in a positive way. I have been in the ATA for 2 1/2 years. It has its good and bad. Is it good for exercise, fun, stress relief, a little sparing, confidence. Yes. is it good for self defense. Probably not. I think Krav maga is better. I know Omega you think ATA's is watered down and you are probably correct to some degree. In reality I don't want to train in true Krav cause I don't feel like getting my head beat in all the time. But where I live there doesn't seem to be any Karate schools that teach true self defense. Martial arts seems very centralized and most of the schools around here are the same
                    Last edited by khf; 11/13/2008 10:41pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by khf
                      Omega. all you do is bash and insult me. I guess it makes you feel good. It doesn't bother me. Anyway I would like to contribute in a positive way. I have been in the ATA for 2 1/2 years. It has its good and bad. Is it good for exercise, fun, stress relief, a little sparing, confidence. Yes. is it good for self defense. Probably not. I think Krav maga is better. I know Omega you think ATA's is watered down and you are probably correct to some degree. In reality I don't want to train in true Krav cause I don't feel like getting my head beat in all the time. But where I live there doesn't seem to be any Karate schools that teach true self defense. Martial arts seems very centralized and most of the schools around here are the same

No, it doesn't make me feel good. It's really annoying that I had to do all that to get you to finally post something unbiased and intelligent. If you enjoy the ATA all power to you but it is what it is. This crap about building character is a bullshit line I've seen from too many a Mcdojo.

Comment

They try to teach the kids to do some chores at home, study in school and listen to their parents. It reinforces what parents teach. I don't see the problem with that. Most karate schools teach that, not just McDojos. You agree? You own a school. Do you teach those lessions

Comment

Absolutely. Now, look at what you just said versus what you said before and see if you can discern the difference.

Comment

I am glad you teach those lessions to your students. I would be interested to know what type of Karate you teach and how it differs from my system.

Comment

Thanks for the FAQ sheet.At times a brutally honest one,re: "glorified tag". No glossing. Honest about its uses,(any exercise and activity with others away from a tv is good ),and what can be expected (as a rough guideline) from attending.

Comment

new to MA

Hi I found this thread interesting. We have recently enrolled my 6 year old son at an ata school. He was shy would not talk to anyone to now 6 months later showing signs of confidence.

One thing I have noticed since siging him up I found out to really learn full forms, spar and learns more weapons we had to get him into the leadership program where now it seems like they are teaching him the whole gammit.

I am 43 ex body builder and have been thinking about taking classes with my son. I am quite novice but from what I have seen at several tournaments you get out of the ATA exactly what you put into it. I know some think point sparring is weak, however it is the way that the ata has chosen to teach. Can I learn how to defend my self with ATA, I believe yes i can, will it be to the caliber of a MMA, not so much. but to a person that has no training to come at us on the street I feel the speed and training one puts into their art will help them.

I started doing research once i started hearing the term mcdojo. The ata school where we go has a great instructor, his instructor is 6 Dan and I have seen him workout too.

Now for me I think the ATA will serve its purpose and my son has a great intro to martial arts. If he choses to take it further and learn other styles as he get older then we support him.

One thing I must add is that in the world of MA resoect is important and people slamming the ata I think is rude.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X