X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I love that man.
    I got you by a decade he was very very arrogant.

I'm glad to see he has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Rusher View Post
      Word. Have a look at these shuaijiao players from 1930:

... those are fighters, not pajama dancers.
      Some time ago, I was getting changed into Gi and the chap next to me (military) asked what I thought of boxing. Being the frustrated historian that I am, I put over my enthusiasm, er, enthusiastically.

He then asked about my Black Belt and I said that anyone with a good to high level of fitness allied to determination would give any BB trouble. It's not a guarantee... and is one reason why I've recently gone back to Running to improve my Base before I re-start the Strength work. OTOH, it does explain how I tripped over on Horse Guards Parade (site of "Trooping the Colour") this week. Oh the embarrassment...which would be a damn sight worse if I couldn't actually defend myself 'cos I was too out-of-shape (as I've seen some senior senseis...)

Comment

That's half the problem with many TMAs. The fact that so many crappy schools eschew fitness.

It's funny because they laugh at fat boxers who are out of shape when they come into the ring. Fat fuckers with "BB's" are held in awe.
        "

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
          Exactly. Muscles hinder performance my ass.
          Dude, stop making everyone work out harder... that makes it even tougher on the smaller guys. :(

Comment

A judoka provides probably the best explanation of the purpose and correct use of kata/forms that I've seen on the web.

Comment

That's a good article. I wonder how many people will get upset.

Comment

Interesting fist post in this section on internal systems also an interesting look at what Jigoro Kano was thinking when he created forms for his students.
                Now as to what shape a fighter has to be in, well Im know a few bikers that where far from being a physical Adonis but they sure as hell could kick some butt when it came to fighting

Comment

Originally posted by farwalkermoon View Post
                  Interesting fist post in this section on internal systems also an interesting look at what Jigoro Kano was thinking when he created forms for his students.
                  Now as to what shape a fighter has to be in, well Im know a few bikers that where far from being a physical Adonis but they sure as hell could kick some butt when it came to fighting
                  Conversely, Royce Gracie was quoted in an interview in COMBAT mag (UK) a few years ago and he said, "Don't confuse being Tough with knowing what you're Doing".

Comment

Originally posted by farwalkermoon View Post
                    People brawling in and around bars aren't organised into weight categories where every pound has to be accounted for as functional muscle before they scrap. Being a bit fat adds mass to your blows and can act as a shock absorber when people hit you in the body.

It detracts from your stamina and agility, but it doesn't matter too much for 30 seconds of wild haymaker swinging and the occasional stomp.

Lots of bouncers are bigger and stronger than the average guy but a bit on the fat side.
                    Last edited by Cullion; 4/26/2011 5:18pm, .

Comment

Kung fu clips from Hunan in 1930:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-viKhsgO-0c#t=100

... note that at 1:40 they do combinations drills, then spar in boxing gloves.

Comment

TaiJi Fighting Hard to Find

Great article - it is so difficult to find Tai Ji instruction for fighting. One of my students tried for a long time to find someone here in the Bay Area (you think there would be someone here in one of the martial art capitals of the world!) but all he found was dancing and movement for health. He ended up switching to Wing Chun, which is in some ways a combat out-growth of TaiJi.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenrmoody View Post
                          so difficult to find Tai Ji instruction for fighting. One of my students tried for a long time to find someone here in the Bay Area [...] but all he found was dancing and movement for health.
                          Tell him to go talk to Brent Hamby at EBM Kung Fu. Hi school in Oakland is one of the best in the country.

Comment

My school is based on combat sports martial arts. I view myself as a coach, and my students as combat sport athletes for the most part. We are not commandos, ninjas, samurai or black ops. Just athletes.

Over the last 15 years, about a dozen or so of my students have been involved in actual altercations on the street. All of my students have managed to beat down their attackers in dominating fashion. Fortunately, in most (all but two) of the fights the opponents were unarmed.

Really the only thing I do differently from many modern BJJ and MMA academies is talk often about the differences in strategy between ring and sport fighting, and we practice a lot of situational preemptive hitting and takedowns. I believe this type of understanding and training is vital, but otherwise, regular combat sport based training is the norm.

In my experience, at least for the average (non-LEO/soldier) student, fundamental and well rounded sport combat based training is the most efficient and practical for acquiring realistic fighting skills that apply to the street, provided there is some emphasis on strategy and capitalizing on the element of surprise. And lots of real contact.
                            — Tim Cartmell

Comment

I wonder what sort of training he would then recommend for LEOs or soldiers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
                                I wonder what sort of training he would then recommend for LEOs or soldiers?
                                Mostly the same stuff, but for LEOs especially — probably soldiers as well — things like situational awareness, weapon retention during close quarters combat, restraining techniques, and so on. Here's a good video of training for these purposes:

https://vimeo.com/30324834
                                Last edited by Jack Rusher; 9/10/2012 6:05pm, . Reason: Fix video embed.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X