Does Weapon Based Martial Arts Practical Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Weapon Based Martial Arts Practical Use

What do people think of weapon based martial arts and their practical use? Like Hema, Escrima, Fencing, Kendo, Kenjitsu and others.
    Is there anything that can be used. Like sword could be swapped out for cane/walking stick or some kind of object abit like Escrima.

Relocated from the Armory; I think you'll find better answers, here.
    Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

My personal opinion is that Escrima, if trained right, at the right place is one of the best stand up arts that you can learn. But there are some crappy escrima places, too. Here is how you will know, if you walk into the place and you see fencing masks hanging up and the only protective equipment is gloves, elbow pads and fencing masks, then you are in the right place. Of course, they need to spar with those and sticks. If so, good.

Escrima can teach a wide range of weapons from knives to short sticks and long sticks. You learn about fighting with weapons, defending against them, and then the footwork used teaches movement in space and timing that is relevant to weapons and striking.

Fencing is relevant to those competitions and then if you look at JKD you will see that Bruce Lee adapted the footwork from fencing to be used in his system. It's is also very similar footwork to what you do in XingYi.

I haven't trained the others, but we have some high level Kendo and Hema people here who will chime in on those.

All in all, I love stick fighting. It's lots of fun and teaches you a lot about the standup ranges of fighting.
      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

People often bring up the swapping a cane for a shinai argument or something, and I suppose you could do so but frankly the way we use shinai in kendo doesn't really lend itself to that. Plus, who wants to drag around a cane all the time? Also not sure about other areas but in Canada if you use something as a weapon, you can be charged with using a weapon no matter if that thing is normally a weapon or not. If it turns out that you carry it for the purposes of being a weapon, even worse.

There's nothing in kendo that is directly translatable to practical use as most people think. There's a bunch of stuff that indirectly translates. We understand and manage distance better than most. We're trained to be pretty aggressive, by and large we're in reasonably good shape. We understand fighting in general, meaning we can process incoming attacks and possibly deal with them more than somebody with no training at all.

Having said all that, if I am ever asked if kendo has any self-defence application, I just say no.

Comment

For those on this forum familiar with what my friends and I do:

https://dogbrothers.com/dog-brothers-promo-clip/

A one hour Nat Geo documentary:

https://dogbrothers.com/national-geo...lub-no-limits/

My thoughts on the Empty Hand expression of weaponry movements:

https://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index...sg3954#msg3954

From my most recent DVD on this:

The lineage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwOt4e7aa8I&t=432s

and one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx71...ature=youtu.behttps://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index...sg3954#msg3954
          Last edited by Crafty Dog; 11/26/2019 8:37pm, .

Comment

PS: I should mention that Kali Tudo's ultimate criterion is what we call "Die Less Often: The interface of gun, knife, and empty hand" see e.g.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvF_iDurNEk

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Dog View Post
              PS: I should mention that Kali Tudo's ultimate criterion is what we call "Die Less Often: The interface of gun, knife, and empty hand" see e.g.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvF_iDurNEk
              An excellent series that I recommend.

We train through it a few times a year.

It should be more.

Comment

I came back to mention that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT49Ne_x6bY&t=122s also has some good footage to show the segue into using the weaponry movements empty hand.

Tail wags for the kind words Dr. Gonzo. Do you have all five?

I should mention that Frankie McRae, general tip of the spear badass who is featured in DLO 4 and DLO 5 has endorsed my relatively new gun-knife integration material. It looks more likely than not that I will be moving to the Fort Bragg NC area this coming year to go into business with Frankie and Sean O-Dowd.

Also perhaps of interest is that Lloyd de Jongh of Piper-Tripwire of South Africa (now living in Warsaw, Poland) and I have developed the Rapid Transients Weaponcraft (RTW for short) knife system. RTW is principally and ice pick grip knife system designed to solve the following problems:

1) Adversary is younger, bigger, stronger, meaner, and crazier than we are. Our pocket folder lacks immediate stopping power absent unusually precise targeting and his attitude is to knock us the fk out and do his will and bind his wounds later;

2) What we call in DBMA "a cranky crowd of scurrilous scum"-- not determined, but they will take cheap shot opportunities if they can;

3) A pack of jackals: A team working with purpose to bring us down.

Comment

Diesel and Guro Crafty pretty much nailed it. One thing to really understand if you're going to train and carry weapons is the local laws, regarding what you can legally carry and what the law says about how you should handle yourself before, during and after using a weapon. Firearm and pepper spray are worth considering but are often overlooked by martial arts types. I have found Filipino martial arts to be the best template of movement for modern non-firearm weapon work, and the Dog Brothers material listed above to be very good and realistic. There are Dog Brothers affiliates all over, you may want to look into if there is a training group nearby.

Some weapons I have available depending on circumstances:
                  -a sturdy, sharp folding knife, almost always
                  -a large fixed blade when I'm camping or hiking
                  -a staff when camping or hiking
                  -a large Maglight in my glove box
                  -a toolbox full of sheet metal tools for work in the trunk (sheet metal hammer, duct knife etc)
                  -a baseball bat behind the front door
                  -bowie knife next to my bed
                  Last edited by Permalost; 11/26/2019 11:59pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Dog View Post
                    I came back to mention that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT49Ne_x6bY&t=122s also has some good footage to show the segue into using the weaponry movements empty hand.

Tail wags for the kind words Dr. Gonzo. Do you have all five?

I should mention that Frankie McRae, general tip of the spear badass who is featured in DLO 4 and DLO 5 has endorsed my relatively new gun-knife integration material. It looks more likely than not that I will be moving to the Fort Bragg NC area this coming year to go into business with Frankie and Sean O-Dowd.

Also perhaps of interest is that Lloyd de Jongh of Piper-Tripwire of South Africa (now living in Warsaw, Poland) and I have developed the Rapid Transients Weaponcraft (RTW for short) knife system. RTW is principally and ice pick grip knife system designed to solve the following problems:

1) Adversary is younger, bigger, stronger, meaner, and crazier than we are. Our pocket folder lacks immediate stopping power absent unusually precise targeting and his attitude is to knock us the fk out and do his will and bind his wounds later;

2) What we call in DBMA "a cranky crowd of scurrilous scum"-- not determined, but they will take cheap shot opportunities if they can;

3) A pack of jackals: A team working with purpose to bring us down.
                    No.

I only have the first three.

I will of course buy the remaining two.

Because I am a martial arts whore addict, and that is what I must do.

Damn it.

Side note - I am of course excited to watch them and train through them with my group.

Comment

Woof Dr. G:

Do know that if you join the DBMA Association (click along at www.dogbrothers.com ) for $30 a month or $300 a year most of our DVDs/downloads are already included in the membership in the form of Vid Lessons (total VLs already well over 1,800 ) Working from memory, DLO-4 (Trauma Care with Special Forces 18 Delta Frankie McRae) is already included in the VLs, and DLO-5 is in the pipeline. Overtime ALL of our Downloads/DVDs will be included. There is also a very active forum where I participate and much more.

"Give us two months and we will have you hooked!"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X