Anybody going to the DB Gathering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody going to the DB Gathering?

I have bought my non-refundable plane tickets so I am obligated now. :D Is anyone else going to attend or to watch?

I assume you're fighting? And assuming so, what fights do you have lined up?

(just curious - I only make it out to the Canadian Gathering)

Comment

I'll try to be there to watch and/or play the drum again. I haven't been sparring enough so I don't feel prepared to fight (haven't fought there in a few years actually) and would rather leave that to those who've been training hard for it. Its the same weekend as the Cold Steel Challenge, which I might want to go to.

Comment

One day...

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
          I assume you're fighting? And assuming so, what fights do you have lined up?

(just curious - I only make it out to the Canadian Gathering)
          So far just a knife fight and a Baston y Daga fight. I will probably just pre-arrange one more stick fight, and then find fights there. Had a guy for a short staff fight, but he couldn't make it.
          Last edited by blindside; 9/04/2014 3:17pm, .

Comment

Same answer as Fuzzy.

Comment

Due to the nature of the event, we cannot guarantee your safety. Sticks, and fights for that matter, may go flying into the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
                Same answer as Fuzzy.
                Cap, come to the Canadian DB Gathering in Montreal in February.

Or, if you'd like something a little less intense, Beat The Crap Out Of Cancer, in Mississauga in November.

Do it! Doooooooo it!

Comment

Do it! Doooooooo it!
                  That "someday" of mine is contingent on my finding a local FMA school that spars. Right now I am a certified "level 1 practitioner with instructorship" in Remy Presas' Modern "wave your sticks in front of each other's faces", and I couldn't even be bothered to pretend that's worth anything.

Comment

That "someday" of mine is contingent on my finding a local FMA school that spars. Right now I am a certified "level 1 practitioner with instructorship" in Remy Presas' Modern "wave your sticks in front of each other's faces", and I couldn't even be bothered to pretend that's worth anything.
                    Where in Canada are you?

Comment

At the last Gathering, I fought daga against this one big, mean-looking guy (much bigger and taller than me, with cauliflower-ears). Turned out he had a wrestling background, and absolutely no FMA whatsoever. Was a fun fight, and put me in a good mood for my next two (in which I collected many welts).

Comment

At the last Gathering, I fought daga against this one big, mean-looking guy (much bigger and taller than me, with cauliflower-ears). Turned out he had a wrestling background, and absolutely no FMA whatsoever. Was a fun fight, and put me in a good mood for my next two (in which I collected many welts).
                        There was a kid last year (he must have been 20/21) that had all of about a month of stick work, he had some level of experience in amateur MMA, but no real weapon work.
                        Lots of heart and fun to see flying knees and slams come in, but no real clue about weapons.

Comment

That sounds really fun. Frankly, though, if I'm going to travel cross country to spar I want it to be for something I've been working towards.

Originally posted by blindside View Post
                          Where in Canada are you?
                          Far West Coast, on an island in the Pacific.

Comment

Far West Coast, on an island in the Pacific.
                            Probably the closest group to you is Loki Jorgenson's group in Vancouver, depending on which island you are on. But if you have an existing martial art group you are training with, try grabbing another interested guy and start training. The DB vids are quite good for giving you options in the sparring game.

Comment

One thing I have noticed from seeing the RCSF over the past few years is that the more experienced fighters are moving much more intelligently now.

By this I mean that they are not simply exchanging strikes with their opponent and coming out on top due to superior conditioning or experience, but that they are starting to move into that "zero Pressure" area we read about but don't often see. They are poised and ready to strike/attack again but are not doing the old caveman thing (surviving due to attrition) but are fighting with real tactics and skill.

Glad to see this happening.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X