First Dog Brothers Gathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Dog Brothers Gathering

Last edited by blindside; 9/25/2013 1:38pm, .

Good writeup. I didn't make it this year- had some business opportunities that seemed the more prudent choice. But lots of good pics have been coming in and I haven't heard about any serious injuries, so I guess everything went well.

Any weird weapon fights?

Comment

As Crafty says, your first time at a Gathering is like your first time having sex - you won't be very good at it, but there's always room for improvement.

Comment

Huge, HUGE respect to you man.

One of my major ambitions right now is to make it to the Euro Gathering, so hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps soon.

Comment

There were about 4 fighters that had their day ended with knee shots, at least one guy apparently cracked his patella. One guy had a messed up shoulder (sounds like he tried to base out a throw) and my training partner got a rib cracked on his second fight. Talking with the other guys there they said that the injury rate was about the same but the prevelance of knee injuries was higher than at least last year.

For weird weapon fights there was a hockey stick match. Interesting because it quickly turned into a hockey stick vs. long stick match as one of the hockey sticks broke off about a foot above the base early in the fight.

A chain y daga fight, rubber hose fight, rubber hose vs. nunchaku, sword and buckler match. Almost forgot the saute pan y daga fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
            As Crafty says, your first time at a Gathering is like your first time having sex - you won't be very good at it, but there's always room for improvement.
            Funny the advice I heard was "a smile and a sense of humor will take you a long way." Seems to be good advice for the Gatherings as well. :D

Comment

Ha, I was supposed to fight one of those hockey stick fighters this year, in a nunchaku fight. Next year I guess.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun! Yeah, Crafty has been posting that there were a lot of knee injuries. He was talking about a cycle the seems to continue where people have really good leg defense, so people stop doing leg strikes, which makes the leg defense slack off. Then knee injuries go up, which causes people to focus on leg defense....

Comment

Originally posted by blindside View Post
                  Dog Brothers Gathering � a newbies experience...

...Anyway, what impressed me the most was the attitude of the fighters. Everything I had heard about the camaraderie and the approach of the fighters was what I had hoped for and what I saw. So often with fighters the ego comes into play, be it a roll on the mat or a frickin� point sparring match, I didn�t see a bit of it on Sunday. Impressive. Thank you to Jun, Gibby, Rich, and Tim for the fights. I went home with a list of things to work on and some inspiration for next year. Thanks to Crafty and all the others who arranged the event, it was certainly one of the highlights of my martial arts experience. I�ll be back next year for a new experience, and I will do my best to bring some friends. :D
                  Hey blindside,

What were you wearing that day, I remember the fight with the spinning pakal, I just can't remember who you were. I was the scruffy guy with the yellow shirt that said "Got Poi?" standing off to the side for most of the Gathering. Wish I'd known who you were, I love seeing fellow Bullshidoka at the Gatherings. Whichever fighter you were, good job fighting at the Gathering, hope we'll be seeing you at another.

Missed you at this one, Perma. I'm gonna be down in San Diego Oct. 11-13, very full days but not sure what my evening schedule is gonna be. If I have some time, I'd love to grab some beers if you have the time.

Aloha, Poi

Comment

Originally posted by poidog View Post
                    Missed you at this one, Perma. I'm gonna be down in San Diego Oct. 11-13, very full days but not sure what my evening schedule is gonna be. If I have some time, I'd love to grab some beers if you have the time.
                    Cool, send me a PM or FB message! I could also invite you to check out one of GM Babao and Guro Nar's arnis classes if you have the time.

Or just some beers :)

Comment

Hi Poi,
                      I was wearing a black t-shirt and OD shorts, fencing helmet was black with a Viking helm design. I had the last fight if the day with Tim (cobra t-shirt). Looking at the pics it may not have been a pakal grip, but it was definitely a spinning attack. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, I will do so next year.
                      Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Comment

Aahhh, the Viking mask, I absolutely remember - good showing, man. I'm almost certain it was pakal, but I could be mistaken. I look forward to seeing more of of your fighting at upcoming Gatherings.

Aloha, Poi

Comment

Around the world there are only 4 "Official" DB Gatherings, those of you interested in more stick fighting should be aware of Rene Cocolo's BTCOOC (Beat The Crap Out Of Cancer) event happening in Toronto, Los Angeles, Indiana, and London, England.

Money collected will be going to Cancer research as decided by the host events. Rene has a FB page under that title for those of you who are more interested.

Rene is a Full Dog Brother (Growling Dog) and is actively aided by the Canadian contingent as well as many others from other tribes on the east coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddels View Post
                            Around the world there are only 4 "Official" DB Gatherings, those of you interested in more stick fighting should be aware of Rene Cocolo's BTCOOC (Beat The Crap Out Of Cancer) event happening in Toronto, Los Angeles, Indiana, and London, England.

Money collected will be going to Cancer research as decided by the host events. Rene has a FB page under that title for those of you who are more interested.

Rene is a Full Dog Brother (Growling Dog) and is actively aided by the Canadian contingent as well as many others from other tribes on the east coast.
                            The London event seems to have fallen apart just FYI, or at least the organiser isn't giving any info on Facebook.

Edit: Just re-checked the fb group, London is definitely not happening this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddels View Post
                              Rene Cocolo's BTCOOC (Beat The Crap Out Of Cancer) event happening in Toronto, Los Angeles, Indiana, and London, England.
                              I (and a few of my students) will be at the Toronto event - come out and hit me with a stick!

(I'm the one wielding the staff)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X