Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curiosity about Pekiti Tirsia

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Curiosity about Pekiti Tirsia

    Okay, as someone who has been doing Judo and TKD for a long time, I wanted to start doing some sorta knife training for fun. I did an intro to Pekiti Tirsia a few weeks back and found a local instructor who studied under Bill McGrath so I wanted to see what it was like. It seemed interesting and considering there isn't much in the way of FMA or other knife fighting in my area, it may be my only choice.

    Doing a search pulled up a few things, but they were kind of old. Anyone have an recent experience with this style?

    #2
    If it's under McGrath, you could learn some good stuff.

    If it's under Gaje's PTK Global Org...I'd avoid it. I find the environment to be unhealthy psychologically.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by DerAuslander View Post
      If it's under McGrath, you could learn some good stuff.

      If it's under Gaje's PTK Global Org...I'd avoid it. I find the environment to be unhealthy psychologically.

      Thanks Der. The thing that caught my eye about this place was the sparring/drills. They drill to learn the technique and then they spar with it.

      Comment


        #4
        PTK should be fun, and what you are looking for. I've trained with people who came from PTK backgrounds, and all had really good skills.

        Comment


          #5
          It's the real deal. PTK is what the Filipino counter terror forces train in, which makes it one of the only styles in the world that can boast genuine "life or death combat" pressure testing.

          If you've got access to a good instructor I'd say "GO FOR EET"!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
            It's the real deal. PTK is what the Filipino counter terror forces train in, which makes it one of the only styles in the world that can boast genuine "life or death combat" pressure testing.

            If you've got access to a good instructor I'd say "GO FOR EET"!
            According to what I've heard, they've passed on Gaje as of late.

            Comment


              #7
              PTK seems to get good representation at the Dog Bros gatherings, if shirts, gearbags etc are any indication. Like other martial endeavors, pressure testing is important. I remember watching one fight with a PTK guy (a new guy I think) who lost his stick 3 times, just from having hard stick clashes. It doesn't really say anything about PTK as a style but it does illustrate the importance of hard training.

              Comment


                #8
                There are lots of good things in Pekiti Tirsia. I've been training it for 9 or so years. It all depends on the instructor. Unfortunately, it's starting to fracture around personalities and egos, much like JKD did in the 1980s.

                Tuhon Rommel Tortal is really down to earth and a good instructor. Unlike his uncle, he doesn't tend to get mad when people ask "what about this?" We're fortunate enough that Tuhon Mel comes to stay with my instructor and hangs around the school for a couple weeks each year.

                If you want to meet Tuhon Mel, there's a combined camp coming up the weekend of the 19th of July that's cohosted by Tuhon and my instructor. It' s $375 for the weekend, but that's Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday, with some food and drink provided. It's in the events section.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by DerAuslander View Post
                  If it's under Gaje's PTK Global Org...I'd avoid it. I find the environment to be unhealthy psychologically.
                  I watched one of Tim Waid's DVDs. At first, I was going to make a drinking game out of every time he used the word "execute", but realized I'd get obliterated pretty damn quickly.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
                    It's the real deal. PTK is what the Filipino counter terror forces train in, which makes it one of the only styles in the world that can boast genuine "life or death combat" pressure testing.

                    If you've got access to a good instructor I'd say "GO FOR EET"!
                    I've seen a lot that I like from PTK. I'd just add a note to what Mr. Machette said. There are quite a few FMA styles that have been combat tested that have had GMs used their art in battle. There are even more FMA styles where founders and masters of the system have used their art effectively in numerous duels. That's one of the better facets of FMA is it's relative recent use on the battle field and in duels.

                    Of course, you run into styles and groups where the founders may have used the art in battle or duels but the group practitioners rarely spar.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
                      Okay, as someone who has been doing Judo and TKD for a long time, I wanted to start doing some sorta knife training for fun. I did an intro to Pekiti Tirsia a few weeks back and found a local instructor who studied under Bill McGrath so I wanted to see what it was like. It seemed interesting and considering there isn't much in the way of FMA or other knife fighting in my area, it may be my only choice.
                      Like every other martial art it is heavily dependent on the instructor. PTK in the US is taught through different curriculum depending on lineage and what GT Gaje was focusing on at the time, but the fundamental methods remain the same.

                      PTK is known for its knife work, some groups can get too drill centric, but even if that particular school does over do it with drilling, it will provide a comprehensive exposure to weapon based arts. I do like to look for schools that get beyond the drills and work on sparring regularly.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thanks for the info guys. The fact that they spar at this place has me hooked already. They are small classes (between 4 and 8 students), so if the technique isn't being applied properly, Mike, the instructor, makes sure to show you the right one.

                        He's definitely part of Pekiti Tirsia International and came highly recommended from a few people I know, due to how he teaches and the fact that he is one of Bill McGrath's students.

                        http://www.pekititirsia.net/

                        Good times so far.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by DerAuslander View Post
                          If it's under McGrath, you could learn some good stuff.

                          If it's under Gaje's PTK Global Org...I'd avoid it. I find the environment to be unhealthy psychologically.
                          Truth be told, there are quite a few Pekiti Tirsia instuctors who could teach you a lot of good stuff. Others, not so much. No organization has a corner on good, or poor instructors.

                          The PTK Global Org is too big and wide ranging to be considered "an environment", and to have a homogenous psychological profile it would have to be smaller and more cult like. GT Gaje likes to talk and write and it is easy to perceive the wrong idea but he just loves what he does and it is infectious.

                          Lastly, despite what you would like to believe, the system is still solidly in place in the military and police training in the Philippines.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
                            I watched one of Tim Waid's DVDs. At first, I was going to make a drinking game out of every time he used the word "execute", but realized I'd get obliterated pretty damn quickly.
                            Ha! He does tend to throw that one around quite a bit in his vids, perhaps a hold over from his background as a US Marine and his time teaching the Filipino Marines?

                            Regardless, and to include his recent situations vis-a-vie G. Tuhon Gaje, the questions I always wonder about are "can he do it" and "can he teach others to do it". From what I have seen from him, and the attitude from him and his instructors notwithstanding, the answer seems to be yes.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
                              Thanks for the info guys. The fact that they spar at this place has me hooked already. They are small classes (between 4 and 8 students), so if the technique isn't being applied properly, Mike, the instructor, makes sure to show you the right one.

                              He's definitely part of Pekiti Tirsia International and came highly recommended from a few people I know, due to how he teaches and the fact that he is one of Bill McGrath's students.

                              http://www.pekititirsia.net/

                              Good times so far.
                              Looks like it should be a good place to train. There are definite differences in the way that Tuhon McGrath teaches PTK and some who have come later such as Tuhon Waid, Wighoni, etc. However, there is no doubt that Tuhon McGrath believes in hard training, sparring, and real world application.

                              Several years ago I was moving which forced me to find another place to train. I had the opportunity at a seminar to ask Dan Inosanto his opinion. The choices were between one of his old time students and someone who was ranked as a Master Instructor under Bill McGrath. Without hesitation, Guro Dan told me "go there, Tuhon McGrath is excellent".

                              All in all, I think you are up for a good time and solid training.

                              Cheers,

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X