No announcement yet.

"A whirling black arm of the night": Dashiell Hammett writes a mean stickfight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A whirling black arm of the night": Dashiell Hammett writes a mean stickfight

Now *this* is how to write a fight scene ...

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...are-town-1924/

The technical descriptions sound a lot like Irish shillelagh stick fighting, which would still have been part of pop-culture consciousness in 1924.
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Well, Dashiell Hammett, after all. Even I can follow it.

I always liked Louis L'Amour's boxing scenes (such as in "Lando"), and he had been a professional boxer at one time.

Comment

One of the best fight scenes I've ever read was the jiu-jitsu match in D.H. Lawrence's "Women in Love" (1920); almost zero technical content, but he really captured the energetic subtleties of grappling.
      Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Comment

Beautiful.

@DdlR: Do you have that scene from the JJ match somewhere in electronic form?

Comment

The jiu-jitsu contest between the characters Gerald and Birkin starts about 1/3 of the way down the page here - http://www.classicreader.com/book/979/20/ . It's not overtly sexual, but energetically and erotically sensual. I'd say that it's probably the finest writing ever applied to a jiu-jitsu bout.

Comment

Thank you :)

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
              almost zero technical content, but he really captured the energetic subtleties of grappling.
              I think that's really the key to writing a great fight scene, & it's incredibly difficult. The author has to give enough information to set the tone of the fight & give some basic sense of what's going on so that people who understand fighting can fill in the details for themselves rather than knit pick what seems wrong & people who don't know fighting will still know who's winning & losing, but be free from a confusion of technical details.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X