Movie Misconceptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie Misconceptions

Kung Fu movies of old get a bad rap. They constantly get the brunt of unrealistic expectations. Part of the problem is the propaganda system. Just like people believe if they come to America all of their problems will be solved, kung fu was similar for fighting. Kung fu was portrayed in a similar light in America. All old Chinese guys have kung fu, you could learn it quickly, and you could fight multiple opponents.

Well, let’s start dispelling the myths:
    Everyone remembers 36th Chamber of Shaolin AKA Master Killer AKA Shaolin Master Killer. It is usually in the top ten of MA movie lists. Gordon Liu is a Badass he fights, learns and defeats the Manchus.

It is funny because most people forget the arduous training:

He got beat down, was laughed at and even became discouraged. He failed and failed again. He had to work Hard to be better and then he finally succeed:

Seriously, hard work, sparring, failure, working past regular hours, and perseverance are the reality in this movie.

What's even funnier are the subtle nods to things considered bad by "teh real" kung fu standards.

Weight lifting?
    Check.

Road Work?
    Check.

Sparring?
    Check.

Pain?
    Check.

Weird right? Only forms work, but not in this movie. Weightlifting hinders chi, but not in this movies. Forms are just as good as running or roadwork, but not in this movie. They actually show the balance between training and forms.

Also, let's not forget this gem (Starting 2:45):

5 years of non stop training and sparring. Now, I think it is 3 in the subtitled versions, but it is still a decent amount of time. Nothing quick nor easy about learning kung fu in this movie.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/19/2011 11:58am, .

San te spends the whole first year just cleaning and sweeping the floors of the Temple because he's a weakling (and of course nursing injuries from escaping the Manchu).

Road work FTW.

If he'd started right out the chambers would probably have killed him.

And nothing in this movie is better than the Head Abbot wanting to promote San Te and his senior monk says "whoa hold on, he's got to kick my ass first before he gets this promotion"...

...which San Te can't do without even training, sparring, losing, and training some more.
    '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

I wish my school had a Chamber of Headbutts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
        I wish my school had a Chamber of Headbutts.
        Dan Horgan would so not like that chamber.

Where do I remember hearing about someone building something like this for their own training, on Bullshido...Search Function...failing....me....

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/19/2011 2:45pm, .
        '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

Comment

Originally posted by FinalLegion View Post
          The Master Killer Documentary from The Shaw Brothers (boy, they sure make lot of documentaries, huh?) taught me that:

-It only takes five years to become an unbeatable Shao-Lin superman
          Five years seems a reasonable amount of training time to become at least somewhat proficient.

It's a lot better than the movie myth that you need to spend 30 years (or the other extreme, 30 hours) training kung fu to become dangerous. Note that the reason San Te progresses so fast is because he trains so much and so hard, he surpasses all his teachers one by one (all except the Top Chamber teacher of course..San Te's Buddhism level can never be THAT high).

-Once you become a full fledged Shao-Lin monk, it's totally acceptable to ambush and kill your old enemies
          Tang: You're a Buddhist! Show mercy!
          San Te: Even Buddha has to conquer evil!
          -One day, you too, can learn to hurl invisible balls of chi
          Nope. That would require that you stay in the Temple your whole life and reach the Top Chamber. San Te was a practical man, he only had a few years to train to avenge all his parents', teachers' and friends' deaths.

-A burly blacksmith, with zero combat training but he pounds globs of molten hot metal flat for a living, can defeat an entire squad of conscripts ...
          Fixed. Please refer to Daniel Tosh as to why this is possible.
          Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/21/2011 1:00pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Hole View Post
            Fun fact: the second disciple San Te picks up (after the blacksmith) is named Luk Ah Choy, who in real life was Wong Fei Hung's sigung/grandmaster (early 1800s). I love the hung ga references in that movie (the opening sequence is a form of Iron Wire Fist, hung ga's apex form).
            Really? That's quite cool. It's amazing what you can learn at the most unexpected times.

In reference to your post that followed...yeah, I suppose those are things I overlooked. Perhaps 'Master Killer' isn't quite the right movie to bring into this fun fest. Still one of my all-time favorite MA movies.

There was another one I was going to bring up...can't remember what it's called...the thing I remember most about it was a ninja whose outfit was white with multi-colored polka dots. It sticks in my memory because one of my friends referred to him as the 'Wonder Bread Ninja'.

Comment

Really? That's quite cool. It's amazing what you can learn at the most unexpected times.

In reference to your post that followed...yeah, I suppose those are things I overlooked. Perhaps 'Master Killer' isn't quite the right movie to bring into this fun fest. Still one of my all-time favorite MA movies.
              Oh we can make fun.

I developed a great appetite for congee after watching 36COS.

It's great when you have a cold.

Comment

Perhaps 'Master Killer' isn't quite the right movie to bring into this fun fest.
                I think it'd be good if you had also mentioned RZA, GZA, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Inspectah Deck, and U God.

Comment

Warning: NSFW Audio

Comment

Congee otherwise known as Zhou or Jook is great in the winter when you need to warm up in the morning.

My rice cooker can make it and man oh man its good with some meat, herbs and green onion

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Dugas View Post
                      Congee otherwise known as Zhou or Jook is great in the winter when you need to warm up in the morning.

My rice cooker can make it and man oh man its good with some meat, herbs and green onion
                      I usually make 粥 by boiling last night's rice in water. I prefer mine with red beans, gingko nuts and fresh dates.

Comment

When I saw "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in a theater, some people in the audience started laughing when the characters started flying. I think it was as if they were thinking the characters were silly for flying. They didn't laugh at Superman when he stuck his arms out and dove through a window making the "whoosh" sound, however.

It's a cultural thing. The Chinese "get it". To draw an analogy, these are their culture's superheroes. They grew up with the characters. Other cultures look in and think either "WTF?" or that it's somehow real. Maybe someday people will grow up and recognize it as comic book fun.
                        Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                        "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                        Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                        Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                        Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                        Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                        Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                        I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                        TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                        ATTN TOM KAGAN
                        World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                        Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                        I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                        Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kagan View Post
                          When I saw "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in a theater, some people in the audience started laughing when the characters started flying.
                          to be pedantic, they're kind of floating, not flying, flying is not for mere superheroes in Classical Chinese Culture...

Comment

Originally posted by ashkelon View Post
                            to be pedantic, they're kind of floating, not flying, flying is not for mere superheroes in Classical Chinese Culture...
                            Lol. You basically just said they are doing it wrong.

Which type of comic fantasy flying is "correct", then? Superman? Peter Pan? Iron man?
                            Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                            "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                            Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                            Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                            Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                            Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                            Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                            I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                            TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                            ATTN TOM KAGAN
                            World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                            Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                            I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                            Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

well if I remember correctly from my Classical Chinese class, floating like wire work in movies is a pretty common feat for a classical hero, like greek heroes that have superhuman, but not completely fantastical powers.
                              flying like superman is only for immortal deities, not demi-gods.
                              or so they told me...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X