Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if everyone who enjoyed this documentary knows, but it is available on DVD on Amazon. I ordered a copy a few months ago and the quality is excellent, remastered from the original archives into letterbox format.

Comment

Love this video.

Comment

I'm also fortunate to have a pretty decent copy of the BBC series "The Way of the Warrior". Got it from someone that runs a dojo in London, England. For a while I was the only guy in my circle of friends with a copy but now I see that you can pretty much see the whole series on Youtube. I love the section on Tai Chi and Ba Gua, that old man can move!

Comment

I read that Sumo was very popular with the warrior castes of Japan as training for warfare. I can see why. The charge in sumo at the beginning is very unique, and I bet it helped to have skills to deal with that if you were a professional warrior.

Great videos!

Comment

Sumo in older days was more of techniques,while now it is mostly getting bigger( ignoring the learning of many techniques) and winning in sumo competitions.
            It is quite possible that techniques from 'older' sumo migrated to other martial arts of Japan.
            I read in some book an account of what it claimed to be one of the earliest sumo fights. It told of how one fighter killed his downed opponent by kicking and stomping his head. If this be true then sumo of earlier days was really dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrannicMA View Post
              Sumo in older days was more of techniques
              I am going
              ,while now it is mostly getting bigger( ignoring the learning of many techniques)
              to need
              and winning in sumo competitions.
              your sources.

Mainly because it sounds like you are talking out your ass, and partially because the limited research I have done on Sumo supports my position that you are ignorant and blowing smoke up the forums' collective asses.

Comment

I read in some book an account of what it claimed to be one of the earliest sumo fights. It told of how one fighter killed his downed opponent by kicking and stomping his head. If this be true then sumo of earlier days was really dangerous.
                This legendary tale is from the Nihon Shoki, but there was no head stomping.

Ed.- Sauce:https://books.google.es/books?id=Tqy...20sumo&f=false
                Last edited by DCS; 12/03/2016 1:12pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by XmasSpiritedAway View Post
                  I am going

to need

your sources.

Mainly because it sounds like you are talking out your ass, and partially because the limited research I have done on Sumo supports my position that you are ignorant and blowing smoke up the forums' collective asses.
                  http://www.grapplearts.com/sumo-wres...artial-artist/

Please read the part 'Sumo Case Studies' thoroughly in the given link.

I admit the fact that I never did any serious research on sumo.I was never pretending to be an 'expert' of a subject about which I have negligible knowledge and if I have done so, I apologize.

Comment

http://www.grapplearts.com/sumo-wres...artial-artist/

Please read the part 'Sumo Case Studies' thoroughly in the given link.

I admit the fact that I never did any serious research on sumo.I was never pretending to be an 'expert' of a subject about which I have negligible knowledge and if I have done so, I apologize.
                    I fail to see the specific three points I highlighted from your post in the source listed, but that appears to be a really good article, thank you for sharing. It isn't personal, I just think the first two points you brought up are assumptions made from outsiders who are not taking culinary science and lifestyle changes into account when pondering the focus on bigger as opposed to technique bit . Kinda maybe related to 'Member Berries as opposed to reality.

Every martial art is supposedly better back in the day.

*edit*
                    I am heavily medicated and still in the ICU so ... yeah ...
                    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 12/04/2016 2:13am, .

Comment

Sumo in older days was more of techniques,while now it is mostly getting bigger( ignoring the learning of many techniques) and winning in sumo competitions.
                      It is quite possible that techniques from 'older' sumo migrated to other martial arts of Japan.
                      Some judo techniques originate in Sumo, for sure.

Sumo has been around a long time...it's origins are in...

Well, I can't remember the name of the no-holds barred type of grappling/hth from ancient Japan..think it was "test of strength" or something like that in English.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        Some judo techniques originate in Sumo, for sure.

Sumo has been around a long time...it's origins are in...

Well, I can't remember the name of the no-holds barred type of grappling/hth from ancient Japan..think it was "test of strength" or something like that in English.
                        What I had stated(head stomping and kicking) was read from the book 'The Principles and Practice of Aikido' by Senta Yamada and Alex Macintosh. It is mentioned in the chapter 'The Development of the Martial Arts'. I read it on Scribd a long time ago and read it again today. Though I have no idea how trustworthy this source is :confused:
                        Last edited by TyrannicMA; 12/05/2016 2:58am, .

Comment

Originally posted by XmasSpiritedAway View Post
                          I fail to see the specific three points I highlighted from your post in the source listed, but that appears to be a really good article, thank you for sharing. It isn't personal, I just think the first two points you brought up are assumptions made from outsiders who are not taking culinary science and lifestyle changes into account when pondering the focus on bigger as opposed to technique bit . Kinda maybe related to 'Member Berries as opposed to reality.

Every martial art is supposedly better back in the day.

*edit*
                          I am heavily medicated and still in the ICU so ... yeah ...
                          Last edited by TyrannicMA; 12/05/2016 4:22am, .

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                            Contest of strenght in D.L. Philippi translation of the Kojiki. See Chapter 36

However, the description of the event does not resemble a grappling match but a "grab my wrist" match.
                            Last edited by DCS; 12/05/2016 4:25am, .

Comment

Though I have no idea how trustworthy this source is :confused:
                              I have already pointed to the source: the Nihon Shoki.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                                I have already pointed to the source: the Nihon Shoki.
                                I was talking about the book I read it in, 'The Principles and Practice of Aikido'. I was not talking about the Nihon Shoki.

I meant to say that I was not sure whether the book 'The Principles and Practices of Aikido' was trustworthy or not.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X