anyone used karate for self defence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grappled a karateka once

I'm not a karateka, been practising jujutsu since I was a kid, but I've had to defend myself against a guy who claimed he was a black belt, something I highly doubt.
    Got into an argument with this big guy one night a few years when walking home from a couple of drinks at the bar. For some unknown reason he kept saying he was going to be beat me up with his karate skills. I got fed up with his bullshit and told him to fuck off.
    He got pissed and started swinging at me.
    I sort of just jumped him and did a leg sweep on him (o-soto otoshi). He fell and I held him down in hon-gesa gatame, an arm grip around the neck. I'm still pretty amazed I managed to keep him on the ground because I'm neither big or very strong.
    After that night I realised that grappling is quite usefull even though I usually consider the style of jujutsu I used to train to be one of the more shitty styles of grappling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nilzen View Post
      After that night I realised that grappling is quite usefull even though I usually consider the style of jujutsu I used to train to be one of the more shitty styles of grappling.
      Out of curiosity, if this is your opinion of your style then why do you pursue it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
        Out of curiosity, if this is your opinion of your style then why do you pursue it?
        I do not pursue it anymore. Though I admit there are some good things I have picked up from it, mostly it is just practising unrealistic techniques against an opponent who does not resist at all. Now that would not be a problem if it was just for sport. But they claim that it is for self defence. The entire system is supposed to be focused on self defence yet you rarely practise any sort of realistic defence. Most of the times it is just blocking then throwing an opponent who is doing a slow telegraphed attack.
        We did do free sparring every training session. But if you really went all in it was almost impossible to do the techniques right. My sensei would often say "Yea it's good that you threw him to the ground but that was not proper jujutsu".
        He sometimes would just be talking up to 20 minutes about super technical details while we just stood there getting cold.
        I do not think he could hold his own in a real fight despite having 6th Dan.
        I quit jujutsu when I moved away. I had been practising Iaido for some time so when I arrived at my new place I took up Kendo instead as it was closer to what I really was interested in.

If you want to look the style up it is a Swedish version of jujutsu called Ju-Jutsu Kai.

Comment

What is it about pseudo Japanese systems with 'kai' in the name that makes them inherently shitty? It's like some sort of conspiracy.

Comment

Pretty general question but yes of course as a youngster with lots of testosterone one tends to get into punch ups so not self defense per se .

Did it work ? Of course it did .probably wouldn't have been any different if I did any other form or art .ultimately it's the practitioner and not the style that counts although it makes the learning process less painful if your training is realistic from day 1.

Comment

When I was in high school a guy through me up against the lockers. He then through a haymaker right had. I blocked it with a high block and then delivered a round house kick to his ribs. Block and kick happened to be on point. The guy walked away holding his ribs. The only time I had to use it.

Comment

In the wood shop in high school I was kinda friendly sparring ish (stupid in a wood shop I know) with some guy. I guess I got him actually mad because when i go down to put something in the lower shelf he puts me in a headlock from the front. Now headlocks don't really hurt so I'm fine just squeezing his knee to try and get the pressure point there but I can't get it to work. The shop teacher comes out of his office and breaks us up. And that's the day i learned to not use pressure points against an enraged opponent.

Comment

Using shotokan(my dojo had point scoring, no contact to face and above the belt rules) only I have got hit on the face pretty easily and it was pretty difficult to fend against blows as blocks did not do their magic. My leg would often be caught by my opponent as I kicked(maegeri,automatically above the belt).My lack of real grappling skills was a big problem.Other than that I used to miss a lot and many strikes would lack real power.Specialized strikes( nukite,shotei etc) were pretty useless too.
                  I once got in a really bad situation(as an adult) and it was a standing 'sleeper hold'( a rear naked choke, I knew it as a sleeper hold then from pro wrestling) that saved me.Thankfully he(a very strong and burly guy) was not seriously hurt and no charges were pressed.
                  Last edited by TyrannicMA; 11/14/2016 11:04am, .

Comment

Well my Goju instructors both successfully attacked other people (in situations in which they felt justified in doing so), but one of them really used grappling as he was going for restraint only (not part of this style of Karate). In general, a lot of Karate striking is similar to kickboxing, so it's all a question of can they apply their kickboxing training. In reading Pat's links a bit, I see him talking about going up versus a Chunner - now _that_ striking art is quite different from kickboxing.
                    When I took WC, I became disillusioned as to it's effectiveness, ditto for Kar.. I didn't think at the time when I wrestled that it was good at all for self-defense. Sorry for the rambling.
                    On a side note, _crazy_ that Wonderboy keeps both hands pretty much all the way down pretty much all of the time. Even before seeing that, checking out low guard approaches in boxing and from Machida etc. has made me realize that the chambered positions of karate might not be entirely useless after all.

Comment

Wrt the OP, some years ago I saw some guys get in a road rage street fight.
                      Moped/shirtless got all bent and spit on nerds car.
                      Nerd jumped out and assumed Karate stance which I found almost as amusing as moped/shirtless did.

"This is gonna be good!" I thought.
                      Karate nerd kicked the shit out of moped/shirtless guy, oddly enough
                      It looked straight out of a Shotokan manual too, fucking rising blocks and reverse punches and all.
                      I went to Rainbow Drive In afterwards and had a mixed plate.
                      Watching people Karate shirtless moped riders is hungry business.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/rainbow-drive-in-honolulu

Comment

food derail moved to YMAS: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126155
                        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by thehonestone View Post
                          On a side note, _crazy_ that Wonderboy keeps both hands pretty much all the way down pretty much all of the time. Even before seeing that, checking out low guard approaches in boxing and from Machida etc. has made me realize that the chambered positions of karate might not be entirely useless after all.
                          Check out Michael Venom Page as well. He's the guy that put a knee through Evangelista Cyborg's skull.

Comment

Is the shuto strike to the side of the neck a practical self defense technique?
                            I have been hit by such a blow once and found the effects pretty jarring. Though I have never used or seen it used in a real self defense/fight/full contact competition scenario.

Comment

I still remember during a football match, a scuffle started among the boys. One of them tried to hit me with a brick.

I had to use my self-defense tactics in order to defend myself. I was new but my high kick with a punch in the core did the job. This was enough to bring him down!!!

Comment

Karate is obviously fantastic for unarmed combat. I don't like the term self defense as used referring to Karate. At the same time I would not recommend Karate to someone who just wants to know how to simply defend themselves. Judo would be my number 1 recommended art for simple self defense or say for a 1st art for kids. I am a Kyokushin student & I love a good scrap. There is something very rejuvenating about getting punched in the jibs every now and again. That said In a self defense or even a sparring situation I'm not going into my horse stance & throwing my reverse punch. I have only been in 3 or 4 situations (as a trained adult) where I was forced to defend myself physically. All of the incidents but 1 were ended with a single throw before any striking was needed coming from myself. I have only had to strike someone 1 time in "the street" and it was only a small combination thrown in order to clinch with the idiot to achieve the throw. The fight in most guys flies right out of them with a strong throw into the pavement. My judo jiu-jitsu has served me well.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X