Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fundamentals of Judo Dynamic DelayTM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fundamentals of Judo Dynamic DelayTM

    It is easy for us to observe gradual and or obvious deceleration and acceleration, a car braking, Usain Bolt flying out of the blocks etc... However, what is harder for us to observe is sudden and momentary deceleration and acceleration and indeed one being a consequence of the other.



    When seeking to explain and illustrate this principle it occurred to me that some of the clearest and most accessible examples come from outside the world of Judo and occur in team sports such as Rugby. In Judo often the action is concealed by the clothing of the two players and the myriad of minute adjustments and split second action. However, in a sport such as rugby with a lone figure in a wide open space with a clear view of the uncovered legs and feet it becomes more obvious.



    The most famous example of dynamic delay in team sports, to an Englishman, is rugby player Jason RobinsonDynamic delay Okuri ashi barai

    my preferred method of Okuri ashi barai you will find they both rely on dynamic delay.


    Dynamic delay is, however, not purely applicable to ashiwaza although that is where most people encounter it and it where most people struggle with it.



    Dynamic delay for Tai otoshi




    I have had to slow this video down twice as much as normal because Adams is just so fast.


    Adams starts moving his uke





    Adams then begins his dynamic delay sequence, he advances his left foot with an exaggerated forward step and visibly slows relative to his uke





    Adams then brings his trailing right foot to his advanced left foot in a tsugi ashi type motionDynamic delay for O uchi gari







    Hope this has been of use to you and as always comments, questions and critiques are welcome.

    #2
    Thank you so many buckets. So, so many. I don't even know how long I've been reading.

    Comment


      #3
      Lol, not sure what buckets have to do with anything, but thanks. Glad you found the post useful.

      Comment


        #4
        We actually worked on this last night at my dojo, when we were practising Okuri-Ashi-Barai. And my training partner made the same comments to me.
        But this is very well laid out and explained so it makes some more sense now.

        Cheers.

        Comment


          #5
          Great article. Thank you for doing this and laying it out in such a clear and useful format.

          Comment


            #6
            i'll work on developing 3 modes now: 1) my normal speed - turtle, 2) slowed down - geriatric turtle and 3) sped up - turtle on crack

            hopefully when i slow down to geriatric turtle mode momentarily, uke will relax as they get concerned about my health, then crackhead turtle will kick in and throw them *wham*!!!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Gidi View Post
              We actually worked on this last night at my dojo, when we were practising Okuri-Ashi-Barai. And my training partner made the same comments to me.
              But this is very well laid out and explained so it makes some more sense now.

              Cheers.
              Seeing as you worked on this throw and then read the article.

              Was this concept explained at all in depth or was it alluded to i.e 'let him get ahead of you' type advice.

              If it was engaged and explained how did they do it?

              --------------
              General feedback, from anyone.
              Does this concept make sense?

              How useful to understanding it was the Jason Robinson video?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                Was this concept explained at all in depth or was it alluded to i.e 'let him get ahead of you' type advice.
                Basically this.
                But I do remember from last time we practised Okuri-Ashi-Barai, where my training partner told me to slow down and speed up. But there was never any serious detailed explanation, just more trial and error through Uchi-Komi.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post






                  Here is some footage of Robinson using the principle of dynamic delay to slice through the French backline and score a phenomenal try from the set-piece, apologies to those reading from France.





                  What is useful to us from this footage, apart from the excellence of English rugby in comparison to France... Is that Robinson accelerates after catching the ball and then spotting the opportunity (debana?) in an opening of the French line very rapidly decelerates to a stand-still and re-accelerates to sprinting speed in a matter of fractions of a second. By his rapid deceleration and acceleration Robinson completely out manoeuvres the French defence whose speed, in tracking across the field, remains constant.
                  really? looks to me he made them indecsive by faking left, right, left

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Lindz View Post
                    really? looks to me he made them indecsive by faking left, right, left
                    Jah but in the process he rapidly decelerates and accelerates. If you watch closely you can see he actually has both feet of the ground and changes direction in mid air. Crazy.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                      Jah but in the process he rapidly decelerates and accelerates. If you watch closely you can see he actually has both feet of the ground and changes direction in mid air. Crazy.
                      Yes you are correct. I used to play a lot of basketball and similar fundamentals apply for a cross-over dribble.

                      What is useful to us from this footage, apart from the excellence of English rugby in comparison to France...
                      Hilarious! I've known probably 3 or 4 people from England personally and they never hesitate to rip France any chance they get. It's like in your DNA or something.

                      As for your article I think you did a very good job at writing about a subject that so very few in Judo that I have encountered can actually teach. The instructor I spent the longest amount of time with can teach this except he doesn't call it what you call it. But he teaches delay. No one else in my area can teach it. Perhaps some can do it but they cannot teach it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Dave R. View Post
                        Yes you are correct. I used to play a lot of basketball and similar fundamentals apply for a cross-over dribble.
                        Yes, quite, I often wear a bib to prevent that.

                        Originally posted by Dave R. View Post
                        Hilarious! I've known probably 3 or 4 people from England personally and they never hesitate to rip France any chance they get. It's like in your DNA or something.
                        Well we have been at war on and off for the best part of 1000 years. That kind of thing tends to stay in the cultural memory.

                        Originally posted by Dave R. View Post
                        As for your article I think you did a very good job at writing about a subject that so very few in Judo that I have encountered can actually teach. The instructor I spent the longest amount of time with can teach this except he doesn't call it what you call it. But he teaches delay. No one else in my area can teach it. Perhaps some can do it but they cannot teach it.
                        I haven't yet found anyone who can teach it at the level I just broke it down to. I think lots of people are kind of aware of it and some even allude to it. Like with Gidi where he was told to let them get ahead of him etc...

                        I basically figured it out myself by reading, watching videos and then checking back with my coach.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                          I haven't yet found anyone who can teach it at the level I just broke it down to.
                          I think it's rare that someone who understands it on a physical level can articulate it in a scholarly fashion. You're a true martial academic.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I think it's rare that someone who understands it on a physical level can articulate it in a scholarly fashion. You're a true martial academic.
                            Yeh there are a shit ton of people who are 100 billion times better at doing all of this than me, because I'm not particularly stellar at Judo and have only been training for a few years.

                            Very few of those people can articulate it because its like breathing to them.

                            What we need in the Anglophone world is a professionalization of Judo coaching and by that I don't mean salaried or profit making. I mean trained and competent in teaching Judo. The French have an amazing system state backed licence system and it shows in the quality of their Judo. I've got a video of a Japanese guy teaching in Russia where has a white board with cut out feet, direction patterns and key points written out on it and moves the feet around to show movement patterns etc...! And I thought I was a perfectionist.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Despite my background, I'm ashamed to admit that it's only after I've read your article that I feel I actually understand this to the point I know how to start explaining it to somebody now.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X