X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange German "Escrima"

Strange German "Escrima"

Dear All

I have found this weird form of Eskrima called "Newman Escrima" and I wanted to know your opinions on this. You can find it on YouTube (I would post the video links but I can`t because I am a rookie on here). The "grandmaster" is an old man named Bill Newman. I had some Eskrima lessons in the past, but this stuff confuses and baffles me to say the least. This is apparently a part of the biggest martial arts line of schools in Germany. I have posted a picture of Mr. Newman.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark Ragnos; 1/27/2019 7:48am, .

Comment

Strange German "Escrima"

Dear All

I have found this weird form of Eskrima called "Newman Escrima" and I wanted to know your opinions on this. You can find it on YouTube (I would post the video links but I can`t because I am a rookie on here). The "grandmaster" is an old man named Bill Newman. I had some Eskrima lessons in the past, but this stuff confuses and baffles me to say the least. This is apparently a part of the biggest martial arts line of schools in Germany. I have posted a picture of Mr. Newman`s book (this pic is from the web, I do not have this book myself).

(I posted this here again, because the original post went to "General BS: Science, Skepticism, Stupidity")
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mark Ragnos; 1/27/2019 8:15am, .

Comment

Hi, Mark. Welcome to Bullshido. This didn't really fit in the MABS area, so I moved it here, for now.

Please refrain from posting the same information across multiple subforums.

Thanks!
        Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

Hi submessenger!

Delighted to make your acquaintance.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ragnos View Post
            Dear All

I have found this weird form of Eskrima called "Newman Escrima" and I wanted to know your opinions on this. You can find it on YouTube (I would post the video links but I can`t because I am a rookie on here). The "grandmaster" is an old man named Bill Newman. I had some Eskrima lessons in the past, but this stuff confuses and baffles me to say the least. This is apparently a part of the biggest martial arts line of schools in Germany. I have posted a picture of Mr. Newman`s book (this pic is from the web, I do not have this book myself).

(I posted this here again, because the original post went to "General BS: Science, Skepticism, Stupidity")
            So, what part of his escrima confuses and baffles you? Yes, he authored that book as well as another one with Rene Latosa who he trained with. Rene Latosa trained with Angel Cabales and Maximo Sarmiento. The more you look into Escrima you will see that training is all over the place with many family lines and family systems. Their are some main ones like PTK, Lameco, Arnis, Balintawak, and many others.

Best is to train with someone and pressure test what you are learning. If it doesn't work in full contact, then get rid of it.
            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Hi Diesel_tke!

I only did a small amount of Eskrima while I was in Germany. Would you say that Mr. Newman`s stuff is genuine (legit)? I have seen videos of him where he used European swords (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd4exayuKM0&t=1s). Given that my knowledge about the subject is mostly theoretical, would you say that this is effective, realistic stuff? It looks quite unwieldy to me. I have heard of Rene Latosa before, but I do not know much about him.

Comment

Hi Diesel_tke!

I only did a small amount of Eskrima while I was in Germany. Would you say that Mr. Newman`s stuff is genuine (legit)? I have seen videos of him where he used European swords (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd4exayuKM0&t=1s). Given that my knowledge about the subject is mostly theoretical, would you say that this is effective, realistic stuff? It looks quite unwieldy to me. I have heard of Rene Latosa before, but I do not know much about him.
                It's hit and miss. You can look at Dan Inosanto's stuff and he has some videos of some pretty obscure weapons. Of course he is largely considered to be a master of almost every Filipino weapon. But he is legit. Most weapons guys I know get board swinging sticks and knives around. Especially when you've been doing it for 5, 10, 15 years. So you play with other stuff. I know guys who fight with swords and bucklers. And they are really good with them. My teacher/friend fights with a kusarigama at times, which is really fun and shows you some interesting things.

So I wouldn't say, him posting videos with swords means that his Escrima isn't good. I would want to try it out and see what his training is like. If it is all forms and no striking, cruise on past.
                Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Thank you!

I will keep an open eye. I will also look out for the Dog Brothers style of fighting (they apparently have a school or in the very least some meetings in Germany).

Comment

Thank you!

I will keep an open eye. I will also look out for the Dog Brothers style of fighting (they apparently have a school or in the very least some meetings in Germany).
                    Check on here:

https://dogbrothers.com/affiliates/

They have gatherings in Europe. In the mean time you can go to the dog brothers website and order videos to start training. Just don't forget the important part, putting in the work.
                    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                      Check on here:

https://dogbrothers.com/affiliates/

They have gatherings in Europe. In the mean time you can go to the dog brothers website and order videos to start training. Just don't forget the important part, putting in the work.
                      Awesome, thank you very much!

I will try to get to their gathering in Germany.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X