Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Self-Defense (and that is what KM is really about, right), is a tricky subject, especially the H2H portions. As you suggest, once blades are involved, it gets even worse.

The part about not giving up is critical, as it is in combat sports, for example. Of course, you can usually tap in Judo, BJJ, Sambo, etc., and that won't really work in a SD situation.

The BJJ school I trained at (up until my neck got so bad I had to quit) had very good SD type training, at least the part I took part in. After 30+ years of Judo, I found it pretty easy to implement. One would hope that grappling-based SD, unarmed H2H would be fairly quick for me to pick up, LOL.

But a key thing is, though, I already was decent at Judo. And the point is, if you do not have some sort of solid base, just learning SD "moves" is not really going to work out very well when the poop hits the fan.

I mean, the odds are not nearly as good in your favor if you have not done quite a bit of full-force grappling, and been stressed with the actual physical conflict and adrenaline dump, versus another human being. I mean hell, the first several judo matches I was in, I could not remember a damned thing due to adrenaline effects. And I had played regular team sports since I was a kid, including football. So I was not exactly an urban soccer mom...
    Sorry school keeps me busy.

Sorry to hear what happened to your neck! I have thought about Judo but have read mixed opinions are here about it. Looking back what are your opinions on it? I know the guy that originally trained me had some judo in his background as well as wrestling in high school, a few years of BJJ, Mauy Thai and 7 golden gloves. He's a pretty solid fighter and it's pretty cool to watch him spar people.

Yeah, he did a lot of scenario based training which I was never a fan of, but he also taught the basic fundamentals of striking and only a small portion of groundwork. Nothing to get you really ready for a fight on the ground. Right around his "expert level" I noticed that it became more and more about scenarios than implementing the fundamentals. So to miss an "expert level" class was never really a big deal and felt more like a chore.

Yeah they spar the week before the belt test and then at the end of the actual test. So they spar maybe twice about every four months. As my friend told me (he was an MMA coach) that it was more like a commercial school and he considered it a McDojo. At the time I didn't agree because I don't think that I wanted to considering who Christian surrounded himself with. In the end though his true self came out when he saw the review that I posted on Yelp and even went as far as having his business partner contact me about it (he said Christian didn't ask him to but I just don't believe him as he said he was acting as a mediator but did a pretty poor job by stating my "opinion was wrong").
    Last edited by SheepdogTactics; 11/11/2019 12:30pm, . Reason: Wanted to ask a question also fixing typos. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by SheepdogTactics View Post
      Sorry school keeps me busy.

Sorry to hear what happened to your neck! I have thought about Judo but have read mixed opinions are here about it. Looking back what are your opinions on it? I know the guy that originally trained me had some judo in his background as well as wrestling in high school, a few years of BJJ, Mauy Thai and 7 golden gloves. He's a pretty solid fighter and it's pretty cool to watch him spar people.

Yeah, he did a lot of scenario based training which I was never a fan of, but he also taught the basic fundamentals of striking and only a small portion of groundwork. Nothing to get you really ready for a fight on the ground. Right around his "expert level" I noticed that it became more and more about scenarios than implementing the fundamentals. So to miss an "expert level" class was never really a big deal and felt more like a chore.

Yeah they spar the week before the belt test and then at the end of the actual test. So they spar maybe twice about every four months. As my friend told me (he was an MMA coach) that it was more like a commercial school and he considered it a McDojo. At the time I didn't agree because I don't think that I wanted to considering who Christian surrounded himself with. In the end though his true self came out when he saw the review that I posted on Yelp and even went as far as having his business partner contact me about it (he said Christian didn't ask him to but I just don't believe him as he said he was acting as a mediator but did a pretty poor job by stating my "opinion was wrong").
      Judo is fine, the emphasis mostly is on sport these days, but really, it's been that way for a very long time.

Judo lacks training versus striking, and in general, very little emphasis on self-defense.

However, Judo will teach you to throw a MF on their head or elsewhere, if you stick with it long enough. If you really engage in the training, it is not lacking in "full contact" "sparring". It is called randori in Judo, and it is basically full-speed grappling training, although degrees of effort vary depending on who is doing it.

Scenario based training should engage the fundamentals. If it doesn't, it's not effective. Scenario training is used in sport (Judo and BJJ for example) all the time.

The problem is that you have basically untrained to poorly trained folks who have NOT absorbed the fundamentals of anything. In essence, fundamentals are everything. Some soccer mom hitting pads a couple of times a week for 10 weeks has not absorbed and learned fundamentals to any significant degree.

Even in the world of sport, the issue comes up of people who want to learn some neat tricks, without spending time on fundamentals.

For example, people in BJJ class asking me to show them how to do a takedown, and seemingly expecting it to work for them right away. But said person does not even know how to properly get a grip, posture, or move. Sure, I can probably get them doing a limited, simple version that night. But pulling it off in a BJJ match, or even sparring in class ? Not likely...

If you want to test your training, have some big SOB grab you however, and see if you can get away/escape from him. I mean, something stupid like a rear bear hug. Or put you in a headlock, for real. Agree not to hurt each other, too much. Like, no biting...

It's not as easy as you think. Stuff gets demo'ed all the time. Same in combat sports...
      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
        2. KM instructor on MAP who used to have sex with his students off camera while doing instructional KM videos.
        So if she was paying him for class and having sex with him. Was she sexually harassing him in his work place?
        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          So if she was paying him for class and having sex with him. Was she sexually harassing him in his work place?
          I have always said being a professional martial arts teacher is like being a prostitute.

For $20 extra, you can punch me in the face, etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
            I have always said being a professional martial arts teacher is like being a prostitute.

For $20 extra, you can punch me in the face, etc.....
            Please do not troll in the Review or Training fora. That is what YMAS is for.

Thank you for your cooperation.
            Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I would say she propositioned him for sex lol

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                Please do not troll in the Review or Training fora. That is what YMAS is for.

Thank you for your cooperation.
                I apologize if I trolled on my previous comment.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X