Riki Dojo USA in Mesa, AZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riki Dojo USA in Mesa, AZ?

Hi there, I'm also new to this site. Let me know if I need to change anything. Thank you very much!

So, similar to the post I've seen recently about a school in Tucson. I've been looking for a Traditional Kodokan Judo school around Gilbert, AZ. I came across this one when searching around. They claim to be the only school to do the traditional Kara every week in Arizona. So my question is similar to others in the thread, is it legit? Do they actually teach TKJ, including the atemi-waza? Or are they another case of Bullshido?

I tried to post the link, but I can't yet. Sorry. Also, I'm not sure about the ratings. So, I left it at 1's.

If anyone has any information, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you again!
    Last edited by Faultier; 9/18/2019 3:17pm, .

Welcome, Faultier, thanks for posting.

The school's website is, I believe: http://www.rikidojousa.com/

People can google around it for Yelp and other such.

I'm still a Judo noob, so I'll let some of our more senior players provide comment. But, the all 1's is kind of a red herring. Perhaps we can clean that up, when you have received some feedback and perhaps trained there a bit.

Thanks again, and welcome!
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
      Welcome, Faultier, thanks for posting.

The school's website is, I believe: (can't post links, even inside of reply quotes... -_-)

People can google around it for Yelp and other such.

I'm still a Judo noob, so I'll let some of our more senior players provide comment. But, the all 1's is kind of a red herring. Perhaps we can clean that up, when you have received some feedback and perhaps trained there a bit.

Thanks again, and welcome!
      Yeah, I wasn't sure what to rate it at, and there was no option to leave it off. Also, that is the link, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Faultier View Post
        Yeah, I wasn't sure what to rate it at, and there was no option to leave it off. Also, that is the link, thank you.
        Happy to help. Are you new to Judo, or do you have prior experience? Either way, I see that this school offers a one-week trial, you should try to take advantage of that. If you like it, great, you have a new home; if you don't, you've also learned something about either yourself or the school, or maybe both.
        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Happy to help. Are you new to Judo, or do you have prior experience? Either way, I see that this school offers a one-week trial, you should try to take advantage of that. If you like it, great, you have a new home; if you don't, you've also learned something about either yourself or the school, or maybe both.
          Completely new, the only somewhat prior experience I have is basic MMA style fighting with my brother when I was young. Nothing with any real training or organisation to it. These days I'm more of a keyboard warrior, but I want to change that and my buddy, who does Tae Kwon Do and American Kenpo, recommended Judo. And my other buddy, who's a cop, recommended Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. But, I think I'll try Judo first, mainly because the throws look awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Faultier View Post
            Completely new, the only somewhat prior experience I have is basic MMA style fighting with my brother when I was young. Nothing with any real training or organisation to it. These days I'm more of a keyboard warrior, but I want to change that and my buddy, who does Tae Kwon Do and American Kenpo, recommended Judo. And my other buddy, who's a cop, recommended Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. But, I think I'll try Judo first, mainly because the throws look awesome.
            Judo is solid, generally speaking. BJJ is jokingly called "basically just Judo." But, even though they are "the same," in practice they place emphasis on different aspects, for various reasons. Either with a qualified and seasoned coach are great.

What are your overall goals with getting started with martial arts?

Comment

Here's a still shot from their web site. Just a photo, so it doesn't mean they are good or even great, but this photo gives me a little bit of a good feeling about this dojo. It seems that they engage in "alive," training.

Randori seems alive, another good sign:

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Comment

Judo is solid, generally speaking. BJJ is jokingly called "basically just Judo." But, even though they are "the same," in practice they place emphasis on different aspects, for various reasons. Either with a qualified and seasoned coach are great.

What are your overall goals with getting started with martial arts?
                Well... Get back into shape. Learn a life skill, maybe a way to protect myself (beyond just shooting someone because that's not very nice, and not always warranted). Maybe become better as a person? I hear that learning a fighting art can teach you better self-discipline.

Comment

Learning to fight is not going to give you discipline, or make you a better person. The desire to learn to fight is where discipline comes in, and through that struggle you will hopefully learn humility and respect.

Not saying you don't have those, now, by the way. But, there's no magic in knowing martial arts which makes you a good person. That's a separate journey.

I was hoping some others would chime in, by this point.

I tentatively approve, for whatever that's worth, of this dojo. That's based purely on some stuff I read/watched on the internet. The JJJ aspect is a little strange, but it seems that's a separate concern operating out of the same dojo.

Please, keep us updated on your experiences and progress.

Comment

Learning to fight is not going to give you discipline, or make you a better person. The desire to learn to fight is where discipline comes in, and through that struggle you will hopefully learn humility and respect.

Not saying you don't have those, now, by the way. But, there's no magic in knowing martial arts which makes you a good person. That's a separate journey.

I was hoping some others would chime in, by this point.

I tentatively approve, for whatever that's worth, of this dojo. That's based purely on some stuff I read/watched on the internet. The JJJ aspect is a little strange, but it seems that's a separate concern operating out of the same dojo.

Please, keep us updated on your experiences and progress.
                    Of course. Thanks for your time. I'll look into trying it out, like you said, they have a free one week trial. A plus is that it looks like their classes are mainly in the evenings for adults. I'll keep you guys updated.

Comment

Looked and saw there are many judo dojos in the area. I'm not going to comment on the Riki Dojo other than to say I cringed when looking at the mats.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                        Looked and saw there are many judo dojos in the area. I'm not going to comment on the Riki Dojo other than to say I cringed when looking at the mats.
                        Toes grow back. Stop scaring the young lad.

Comment

Toes grow back. Stop scaring the young lad.
                          I've installed two sprung floors with mats. Consider me spoiled. Besides, we've met. Neither of us has much in the way of natural cushion.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                            I've installed two sprung floors with mats. Consider me spoiled. Besides, we've met. Neither of us has much in the way of natural cushion.
                            Something something streets.

OK, decent point. It looks like they have some sort of knock-off Zebras over concrete, but yeah, they look a little lacking in the cushion department, and the install has left some gaps.

Thanks for the call-out.

Comment

The instructors credentials look solid. The instructor’s teacher, Tsuruo Fukushima, had an Olympic silver medalist among his students. He was a 7th dan when he passed.

Speaking for myself, I care less for credentials than finding an instructor that teaches in a manner I understand as well as imparting martially effective material.
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X