Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If you hit me, I will defend myself"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24047456/

Does anyone know where I can find the corresponding YouTube video on this beatdown? I found this news article just now and I find it ironic what the teacher said just before getting G&Ped.

There are a few things that I can't really wrap my mind around. The first thing that confounds me a bit is the extent to which the teacher is traumatized. Of course, getting beat up is stressful and traumatic, but the teacher's reaction seems so highly reactionary, IMO. What I mean is, according to this article, she says, "The thing that gets me, is that after the attack, they sent me to the clinic and on my way out of the door she was right there in the doorway. What kind of weird logic is that if someone beats you up you shouldn't have to so much as see that person? It strikes me as being over-dramatic and perhaps indicative of an elaborate pre-occupation with the philosophical minutiea of victimhood. I feel like one of the negative aspects of our society is a whole school of thought that seems to have entered public discourse which concerns itself with victimhood and elaborate and abstract standards of entitlement and compensation.

The other thing that comes to mind is how public schools basically don't do jack to support kids who are bullied. Everything the school tells the bullying victim (i.e. tell the teacher who won't do anything and is powerless, don't defend yourself) seems designed to minimize lawsuits and complications for the school. I don't see how any of that advice helps the bullying vicitm in any way. In my opinion, the victims of bullies feel that there's no recourse, so it raises the likelihood that one day they'll show up with some firearms and murder everyone they feel has tormented them, like in Columbine. Maybe kids would be less likely to resort to such tactics if they felt like someone would actually help them out in a bullying situation instead of dealing with political bullshit smokescreens only from the administrators.

I think that the final important thing to take away from this article is how teachers and administrators are basically powerless when it comes to dealing with problem kids. Since in the public school system you aren't allowed to kick anyone out, if a student's parents don't care what they do in school, then that student doesn't have any obstacles to just derailing everyone's education all day. I don't believe that public education in the US will ever be successful unless teachers and administrators have the power to expel kids who do nothing but cause problems. The current academic logic justifying their powerlessness is that if you kick a kid out of school he will no doubt turn to a life of crime but I'd argue that if a kid is going to spend all day in school, say, bullying others and not studying he or she already is embodying a criminal lifestyle. At that point there's no point in sacrificing the interest of all the other kids by keeping such a person around.

The video shows students standing around the attack, watching and making no move to intervene.

One student did call for help. After the attack, Berry said the school principal, Jean Ragin, suggested that she provoked the attack.

Incidentally, I also think it's funny that running for an administrator in that situation was supposed to be able to solve the problem. Unless the administrator really feels like getting fired that day and at the same time trains in muay thai and has a taser and has got years of pent up aggression against the student.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

This kind of crap is why I couldn't be a teacher. I grew up in a "It takes a village" kind of environment. What that meant was that ANY adult in the area could beat your ass if you did something wrong, and then when your parents found out they would beat your ass again for good measure.
    Every kid in that classroom deserves daily asswhoopins until they understand that you don't fuck with your teachers, you don't fuck with adults in general. That shit is not cool.
    sigpic

Comment

I would suggest that she find another job that doesn't so closely resemble a Mad Max movie. There's no hope for schools like that. They're full of shitty kids who have shitty parents and will grow up to be shitty adults.

Comment

Originally posted by devil
        There's no hope for schools like that. They're full of shitty kids who have shitty parents and will grow up to be shitty adults.
        This is the truth.

And I am a teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
          What kind of weird logic is that if someone beats you up you shouldn't have to so much as see that person?

If someone punched me in the face I would WISH to so see that person. Damn. I wish a motherfucker would sometimes.
          Originally posted by Goju - joe
          being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

this is why teachers should have the unrestricted right to carry tasers and use corporal punishment.

have some safeguards of course, like limiting it to tenured teachers.

this kind of shit is ridiculous, how do you expect a teacher to teach in underprivledged school districts if they have to worry about this crap.

even in not underpriveledged districts crap like this goes on- not as openly or blatantly but thats ridiculous.
            Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 4/11/2008 4:22pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Bluto Blutarsky

even in not underpriveledged districts crap like this goes on- not as openly or blatantly but thats ridiculous.
              This is true.

Just this year, I had some high school students whom I had taught in sixth grade who liked to come to my classroom at the end of the day and see me. It got to the point where they were being really obnoxious (as most 15 year olds are). They were invading my personal space by poking me, leaning on me, or bumping into me. Basically, they were just doing anything to get a rise out of me. They were doing this because they liked me, mind you.

Finally I told my principal that if she didn't keep these kids out of my room, I was going to end up punching one of them in the face. She had the school resource officer threaten them with being brought up on harassment charges, and I haven't had to deal with them since. It's fortunate that I work with a principal who isn't scared of actually disclipling kids because a lot of them are.

But, shit, kids today just don't have any concept of boundaries or respect for authority for that matter. And yes, I realize I sound like a crotchety old man saying that, but it's true.

Comment

This is what I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyAhbbjaZ34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcH9b_2ehg
                Last edited by Omega; 4/11/2008 8:13pm, .

Comment

Corporal punishment is a necessary evil. Some people, including children, will only respond to physical punishment or the threat of it. I know because I was one of those kids.

The U.S. was a better place when children feared the wrath of all adults.

This story begs the question, is it time to shoot all the lawyers yet?
                  Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex
                    This is true.

Just this year, I had some high school students whom I had taught in sixth grade who liked to come to my classroom at the end of the day and see me. It got to the point where they were being really obnoxious (as most 15 year olds are). They were invading my personal space by poking me, leaning on me, or bumping into me. Basically, they were just doing anything to get a rise out of me. They were doing this because they liked me, mind you.

Finally I told my principal that if she didn't keep these kids out of my room, I was going to end up punching one of them in the face. She had the school resource officer threaten them with being brought up on harassment charges, and I haven't had to deal with them since. It's fortunate that I work with a principal who isn't scared of actually disclipling kids because a lot of them are.

But, shit, kids today just don't have any concept of boundaries or respect for authority for that matter. And yes, I realize I sound like a crotchety old man saying that, but it's true.
                    Man I had a teacher like you. We drove that guy to drink. We'd hang out at his house, eat his lunch, etc.

And you're right, it was because he was young and cool and too much like one of the guys.

I think part of the problem is mentally we create this box for young people and let them run as hard as they can within the bounds of the box - the primary evidence of this is the existence of the word "bullying."

Let me ask all of you , if you worked in an office building and some guy walked by, smacked the files out of your hand, poured your coffee on the floor, and called you a faggot, and you went to someone about it, and they said, "Well, you know, bullying happens sometimes you have to learn to deal with it dontchaknow"

You'd be pissed, right?

As an adult society we're expected to be individual and autonomous yet until we're about 22, we run around by social rules more suited to a pack of dogs and we're amazed there's friction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluto Blutarsky
                      this is why teachers should have the unrestricted right to carry tasers and use corporal punishment.

have some safeguards of course, like limiting it to tenured teachers.

this kind of shit is ridiculous, how do you expect a teacher to teach in underprivledged school districts if they have to worry about this crap.

We can barely empower cops to use tasers and beatings to keep order, we should not let the sort of fuckchops that become teachers (no offense Hex) do the same.

Comment

I fail to see where there the martial arts are mentioned....

And yes, I'm just being a dick since this should have gone on Sociocide. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache
                          Man I had a teacher like you. We drove that guy to drink. We'd hang out at his house, eat his lunch, etc.

And you're right, it was because he was young and cool and too much like one of the guys.
                          Yeah, unfortunately, I'm 30 and look 17.

If they ever showed up at my house I really would have to kill them, though. :eusa_wall

I think part of the problem is mentally we create this box for young people and let them run as hard as they can within the bounds of the box - the primary evidence of this is the existence of the word "bullying."

Let me ask all of you , if you worked in an office building and some guy walked by, smacked the files out of your hand, poured your coffee on the floor, and called you a faggot, and you went to someone about it, and they said, "Well, you know, bullying happens sometimes you have to learn to deal with it dontchaknow"

You'd be pissed, right?

As an adult society we're expected to be individual and autonomous yet until we're about 22, we run around by social rules more suited to a pack of dogs and we're amazed there's friction.
                          I know a lot of schools are starting to turn really hardcore against bullying in recent years with the school shooting epidemic going on.

Obviously it still exists, and I can tell you, as a teacher, it's really fucking hard to catch students in the act. They're like a bunch of bullying ninjas. It always happens in the bathrooms, or in the lunchroom where it's noisy as fuck and you can't hear individual conversations. These kids can't figure out how to bring a goddamn pencil to class, but they can somehow torment the hell out of another student in a building full of adults without anyone hearing so much as a peep.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega the Merciless
                            Whoa, kesa gatame! :eatbabies
                            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache
                              No offense intended to anyone, but was he one of those teachers that everyone liked and dated students? I had one that was super-chill like that, actually I had several (male and female) super-chill like that and all of them turned out to be pedo or pseudopedo. Seems to be like that everywhere. The female one asked me to be her roommate because her boyfriend left to iraq in my senior year.

That was four years ago. To this day I still wonder WHY I PUSSIED OUT AND DIDN'T BECOME HER BOYMATE ADFAWQ [email protected] @
                              www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
                              Parts and Accessories
                              Law Enforcement Firearms

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X