Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you send your children to the Teoul Moon Kung-Fu school in San Bernardino?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you send your children to the Teoul Moon Kung-Fu school in San Bernardino?

Studio operated by sex offender

License for kung-fu school issued by city
    By BILL BYRON, Staff Writer

Jan 29, 05

A convicted pedophile has been operating a kung-fu school in San Bernardino for the past few months, targeting children and their families as his clientele. Lewis Gene Calliham, 44, of San Bernardino was issued a business license to operate Teoul Moon Kung-Fu on Aug. 15 and opened his doors in October or November, nearby business owners said.

Although a state Web site Meganslaw.ca.gov listing Calliham and all other registered sex offenders in California has been up since December, Calliham's neighbors and employees of nearby businesses had no idea about his past. Some of the offenders listed on the Web site believe they are being unfairly targeted for crimes committed in the distant past.

In Calliham's case, has re-entered the same business that brought him into contact with children before his arrest in the early 1990s.

In contrast, a sex offender living at Lugonia Fountain's in Redlands says he should not be listed on the Web site because his crime was an isolated incident for which he paid his dues to society.

The news about Calliham surprised the father of two of his former child students and employees of nearby businesses. "It's scary. This is a shock to me," said Mandel Paul, who sent his 13-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter there for about a month. "As far as I knew, he's real quiet. He doesn't really talk very much." Calliham was not at the business or his home on Friday. Workers at neighboring businesses said Calliham is out of the country.

The kung-fu school is in a strip mall in the 100 block of East Highland Avenue and is surrounded by several other small businesses and a Chinese restaurant. The martial arts studio targets parents through advertisements in the front window that tell of kung-fu's benefits for children. Although a sign in the window gives hours of operation of 9 a.m to 9 p.m. weekdays, the doors were locked and no lights were on at about noon Friday. Nobody answered the door of Calliham's apartment in San Bernardino.

In January 1992, Calliham was sentenced to six years in state prison after being convicted in Torrance of committing three counts of a lewd or lascivious act with someone younger than 14. He served more than three years and was released from Chuckawalla Valley State Prison in Blythe in 1995. He was discharged from his parole in October 2001, according to the California Department of Corrections. Generally, once their parole has expired, there are no restrictions placed on convicted pedophiles, even concerning their contact with children, said San Bernardino police Detective Gary Scheulke of the Crimes Against Children Unit. There are no background checks done by the city for business license applicants, said Roger Davis, a business registration inspector for San Bernardino.

With the state's new Web site, anyone can learn that there is a registrant living in the sedate retirement mobile home park in Redlands. Kirk Berg, 66, has lived at Lugonia Fountain's for about three years in relative anonymity, but the advent of the new Web site has changed all that, at least in theory. Although several of the tenants were aware of it, none of the 13 interviewed by The Sun had visited the Web site or knew that there was a registrant living among them. Berg was convicted of committing a lewd or lascivious act with a child under the age of 14 in December 1980 in Los Angeles County. He said it is his only crime and that he turned himself in.

But now, he says, his punishment is lasting a lifetime. The incident for which Berg was convicted involved a female relative. "It was curiosity and me being a drunk," Berg said. "This is 25 years ago, and I never had intercourse or nothing like that, and I turned myself in. Then Megan's Law came along and everybody's got it plastered all over, and I think that's wrong. "I gotta live with it every day of my life, which I had, and that'll never stop but, heck, to put your name on a Web site I think that's ridiculous."

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,...680285,00.html
    Last edited by Kungfoolss; 1/29/2005 10:45am, .

From 'The World Teoul Moon Kungfu Moon Kung & Tai Chi Association' website -

Come visit our newest school in
    San Bernardino, Ca

Teoul Moon Kung Fu
    166 E. Highland ave
    San Bernardino, Ca 92404
    (909) 886-0997

Comment

Yes I would. What better way to teach them about the miracle of procreation?
      Last edited by MEGA JESUS-SAMA; 1/29/2005 11:05am, .

Comment

That article is incredibly disturbing.

Comment

would you send you child to the teoul moon school in san bernardino

my name is sifu Gene
          I have know this kung fu teacher for over 20 years and i know all about his case, i know that there is no way he done the crap they said that he did, he has maintain innocents from the begaining. there are many people in prison for the wrong reasons. i would also hate anyone hurting a child but i know this man has dedicated his life to teaching the real kung-fu. his school has since closed because of this. people judge without knowing the truth, and the news papers makes things worse trying to make the man sound as bad as possible. it is sad but the system does not work on guilt or innocenese. it is based on what lawyer puts on the best show. i think the martial arts lost a great teacher, when he has done nothing but try and give to the Arts. reply if you like.
          Sifu Gene.
          Originally posted by Kungfoolss
          Studio operated by sex offender

License for kung-fu school issued by city
          By BILL BYRON, Staff Writer

Jan 29, 05

A convicted pedophile has been operating a kung-fu school in San Bernardino for the past few months, targeting children and their families as his clientele. Lewis Gene Calliham, 44, of San Bernardino was issued a business license to operate Teoul Moon Kung-Fu on Aug. 15 and opened his doors in October or November, nearby business owners said.

Although a state Web site Meganslaw.ca.gov listing Calliham and all other registered sex offenders in California has been up since December, Calliham's neighbors and employees of nearby businesses had no idea about his past. Some of the offenders listed on the Web site believe they are being unfairly targeted for crimes committed in the distant past.

In Calliham's case, has re-entered the same business that brought him into contact with children before his arrest in the early 1990s.

In contrast, a sex offender living at Lugonia Fountain's in Redlands says he should not be listed on the Web site because his crime was an isolated incident for which he paid his dues to society.

The news about Calliham surprised the father of two of his former child students and employees of nearby businesses. "It's scary. This is a shock to me," said Mandel Paul, who sent his 13-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter there for about a month. "As far as I knew, he's real quiet. He doesn't really talk very much." Calliham was not at the business or his home on Friday. Workers at neighboring businesses said Calliham is out of the country.

The kung-fu school is in a strip mall in the 100 block of East Highland Avenue and is surrounded by several other small businesses and a Chinese restaurant. The martial arts studio targets parents through advertisements in the front window that tell of kung-fu's benefits for children. Although a sign in the window gives hours of operation of 9 a.m to 9 p.m. weekdays, the doors were locked and no lights were on at about noon Friday. Nobody answered the door of Calliham's apartment in San Bernardino.

In January 1992, Calliham was sentenced to six years in state prison after being convicted in Torrance of committing three counts of a lewd or lascivious act with someone younger than 14. He served more than three years and was released from Chuckawalla Valley State Prison in Blythe in 1995. He was discharged from his parole in October 2001, according to the California Department of Corrections. Generally, once their parole has expired, there are no restrictions placed on convicted pedophiles, even concerning their contact with children, said San Bernardino police Detective Gary Scheulke of the Crimes Against Children Unit. There are no background checks done by the city for business license applicants, said Roger Davis, a business registration inspector for San Bernardino.

With the state's new Web site, anyone can learn that there is a registrant living in the sedate retirement mobile home park in Redlands. Kirk Berg, 66, has lived at Lugonia Fountain's for about three years in relative anonymity, but the advent of the new Web site has changed all that, at least in theory. Although several of the tenants were aware of it, none of the 13 interviewed by The Sun had visited the Web site or knew that there was a registrant living among them. Berg was convicted of committing a lewd or lascivious act with a child under the age of 14 in December 1980 in Los Angeles County. He said it is his only crime and that he turned himself in.

But now, he says, his punishment is lasting a lifetime. The incident for which Berg was convicted involved a female relative. "It was curiosity and me being a drunk," Berg said. "This is 25 years ago, and I never had intercourse or nothing like that, and I turned myself in. Then Megan's Law came along and everybody's got it plastered all over, and I think that's wrong. "I gotta live with it every day of my life, which I had, and that'll never stop but, heck, to put your name on a Web site I think that's ridiculous."

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,...680285,00.html

Comment

Good for you for standing up for your friend.

But you must also realize that the system is the best we have.

If its a question of who to trust, the courts or one persons word. The general public will trust the courts. Plain and simple.

Whether or not he is guilty doesnt matter, parents will do whatever they can to keep this sort of thing away from their kids.

Its really no suprise that he went of business, and its actually rather odd that he thought we would be able to go back to teaching kids.

If he likes Kung Fu that much, teach adult only classes...

Comment

Originally posted by sifugene
              my name is sifu Gene
              I have know this kung fu teacher for over 20 years and i know all about his case, i know that there is no way he done the crap they said that he did, he has maintain innocents from the begaining. there are many people in prison for the wrong reasons. i would also hate anyone hurting a child but i know this man has dedicated his life to teaching the real kung-fu. his school has since closed because of this. people judge without knowing the truth, and the news papers makes things worse trying to make the man sound as bad as possible. it is sad but the system does not work on guilt or innocenese. it is based on what lawyer puts on the best show. i think the martial arts lost a great teacher, when he has done nothing but try and give to the Arts. reply if you like.
              Sifu Gene.
              If I had kids, I wouldn't send them to a school run by someone charged with pedophilia and found not guilty. Maybe it's not fair that even just a charge can ruin someone's rep forever, but most parents aren't willing to take a gamble like that with their children. I think you would have to offer some pretty compelling evidence of his innocence (which you haven't done) to sway a parent to send their kid to learn from a convicted kiddy diddler.

If he really cares about passing on "the real kung-fu" (teehee), he should resign himself to teaching adults. The fact that he tried to teach children again makes him look very, very bad. In my mind's eye, I see someone turning his flesh to paste with a sledgehammer, and I don't mind one bit.

Comment

http://meganslaw.ca.gov/cgi/prosoma....=18697237B1497

lol gung fo

Comment

my name is sifu Gene
                  You're actually named "sifu"? That's awesome.

Comment

my name is sifu Gene
                    Sifu Gene.
                    Perhaps, you should express your concerns to Bullshido staff member, Sam Browning. He seems to know a bit about the law.

Comment

kids at the kung-fu school in san bernardino

Thank you for your reply
                      the thing that the papers did not print is that the instructor in question did not teach the kids he only taught adults, and when the kids class was going on he was not there, it was taught by a woman. he made sure that he never put himself in that place. i spoke with him when decided to open the school and i advised him to do that. kids in a martial arts school is the bread and butter. i feel bad that people see it only what the papers said. don't get me wrong i completely understand that parents will do whatever it takes to protect there children.
                      but this is a man that i watched teach children and always gave seminars on stranger danger, and taught them to tell no matter what. i guess it is all just a shame. people shoul really know this man, he has taught me a lot. and he said that he believs that the child in question was be hurt by someone and she just wanted it to stop, funny how it took them months of the police talking to her to get her to say it was him. anyway thanks for the reply, sorry if it seems i am sticking up for him so much, its just i know him well.
                      Sifu Gene Randall

Comment

I have know this kung fu teacher for over 20 years and i know all about his case, i know that there is no way he done the crap they said that he did, he has maintain innocents from the begaining.
                        Um, bullshit. In the news article the man himself said that he turned himself in. He is not maintaining his innocence because HE TURNED HIMSELF IN. You don't turn yourself in for being innocent. Read the article.

"It was curiosity and me being a drunk," Berg said. "This is 25 years ago, and I never had intercourse or nothing like that, and I turned myself in."
                        You are being contradicted by the man you're trying to defend.

Comment

The martial arts studio targets parents through advertisements in the front window that tell of kung-fu's benefits for children.
                          Being exposed to a pedophile isn't a benefit of kung-fu. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
                            Um, bullshit. In the news article the man himself said that he turned himself in. He is not maintaining his innocence because HE TURNED HIMSELF IN. You don't turn yourself in for being innocent. Read the article.
                            It is a different person. Typical newspaper writing, they shift suddenly to a different person who also opposes the Megan's Law web-page since he--Kirk Berg--turned himself in and has not, apparently, re-offended in 25 years, and then shifts back. I hate when newspapers do that.

The Kung-Fu teacher is Lewis Gene Calliham.

Now, regarding the validity of Calliham's charges and conviction, that is an entirely different story. One would need a great deal of information, including why it failed at trial. Gene's complaint is fallacious: While people are wrongly accused of crimes, a great deal more are justly accused.

He should have known that having children's classes would be a problem.

--J.D.

Comment

sending your kid to san bernardino school

Mr Ronin
                              maybe you should read the right article in question. you are responding to the wrong thread. and about the wrong person.

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin

You are being contradicted by the man you're trying to defend.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X